Windows 10: External SSD storage device freezes some applications

Discus and support External SSD storage device freezes some applications in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; The following situation happens to me now.There is:PC - it has installed two Windows 11 OSes, the first is for personal use Windows 11 Home and the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Fraddy91, Mar 27, 2023.

1. Fraddy91 Win User

External SSD storage device freezes some applications

The following situation happens to me now.There isExternal SSD storage device freezes some applications :pC - it has installed two Windows 11 OSes, the first is for personal use Windows 11 Home and the second is for professional use software developing Windows 11 Pro N. It has 6 ports 3.2 Gen1 Type A, 2 ports 3.2 Gen2 Type A+C. I'm using front panel USB 3.2 Gen1 port in my tests.Laptop1 with Windows 11 ProLaptop2 with Windows 11 ProUGreen External SSD storage for M.2 devices, based on Realtek RTL 9210B, Type-CBaseus External SSD storage for M.2 devices, based on same Realtek RTL 9210B, Type-CUSB 3.2 to Type-C cable.Situation:If I connect the

:)

Fraddy91, Mar 27, 2023

2. EXTERNAL SSD STORAGE DEVICE

I have 2 StarTech 2.5 HDD / SSD external storage devices. - model # S251BU31315. When I install a 2.5 HDD into the StarTech external storage device I have no problem with Windows 10 Pro recognizing the external 2.5 hard drives. They show up on my computer
    in my "file explorer" section and in "This PC" all so I can see a New Volume ( External SSD storage device freezes some applications :) with an assigned letter. However if I do not use a HDD but instead use an SSD in the storage device I get nothing. Windows 10 Pro does not recognize anything in the "file
    explorer" section, Yet the StarTech device has a little blue light that indicates power, if its working or not and those little blue diodes are lit up bright blue, and in my "All settings" section, under the "Bluetooth & other devices" they do show up with
    "Device" and symbol of a device, but in file explorer nothing.

JamesMaverick1, Mar 27, 2023
  3. Update Assistant does not detect External Storage Device

I am currently facing an issue with the update assistant. The problem comes from the prompt as seen from this webpage

Free up space for Windows updates - Microsoft Support

The issue is in "Step 2: Connect an external storage device". It says to
    "Connect your external storage device and wait until you see it in the drop-down list" but the external storage device already connected to my device (and shows up on My PC) is not shown on the drop down list. Can you help?

External SSD storage device freezes some applications c6321704-8541-466f-88a9-ab5e75fbdf04?upload=true.png

Haziq Jamaludin, Mar 27, 2023
  4. JanBouman Win User

Storage devices not accessible (internal, external)

The accessibility of internal and external (usb) storage devices has become blocked in Windows 11 (complete with all latest updates). This concerns an internal Samsung SSD 859 EVO 500GB Drive (SSD) and an internal TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB drive (DVD) and any external usb storage device. Both drives, including external usb storage devices, have always worked properly until now.

In my computer I have five internal storage drives: C: (Samsung SSD 500G, system drive), D: (Harddisk, 2T), E: (Samsung SSD 500G) and F: DVD Drive.

E: and F: have problems. Access to any external usb device is also blocked.

The problems occured after installing the following updates, but I’m not certain that the problems are caused by these updates.

2022-09 .NET 6.0.9 Security Update for x64 Client (KB5017915)

2022-09 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.8 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11 for x64 (KB5017497)

It is not certain that the problems are caused by these updates.

I use an account with administrator rights.

With the internal SSD drive and any external usb storage device I get the message:

x:\ is not accessible. Access is denied.

And with de DVD drive I have one of the following messages:

x:\ is not accessible. Access is denied.

Or

You do not have sufficients rights to perform this operation

Changing security settings using (right click)-Properties-Security-Advanced-Change etc. has no effect whatsoever.

However, when I use Device Manager and disable the SSD drive an uninstall the DVD device, the uninstalled DVD drive works properly after restart (and automatic reinstall). This trick only works this way and not the other way around.

Striking detail is that if the DVD drive is not accessible, Eplorer shows the drive as “CD drive” and if it is accessible, as “DVD RW drive”.

JanBouman, Mar 27, 2023
Thema:

1. External SSD storage device freezes some applications - Similar Threads - External SSD storage

2. External SSD storage device freezes some applications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External SSD storage device freezes some applications: The following situation happens to me now.There is:PC - it has installed two Windows 11 OSes, the first is for personal use Windows 11 Home and the second is for professional use software developing Windows 11 Pro N. It has 6 ports 3.2 Gen1 Type A, 2 ports 3.2 Gen2 Type A+C....
  3. Storage devices not accessible internal, external

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage devices not accessible internal, external: The accessibility of internal and external usb storage devices has become blocked in Windows 11 complete with all latest updates. This concerns an internal Samsung SSD 859 EVO 500GB Drive SSD and an internal TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB drive DVD and any external usb storage...
  4. Storage devices not accessible internal, external

Storage devices not accessible internal, external: The accessibility of internal and external usb storage devices has become blocked in Windows 11 complete with all latest updates. This concerns an internal Samsung SSD 859 EVO 500GB Drive SSD and an internal TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB drive DVD and any external usb storage...
  5. Access Denied To External Storage Device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Access Denied To External Storage Device: I use Shadow PC shadow.tech and they have port forwarding which I have working. My device shows up in the file explorer as my D drive, but when I go to open it, I get a dialogue with the header, "Location is not available," and next to a big red X, it reads, "D:\ is not...
  6. Access Denied To External Storage Device

Access Denied To External Storage Device: I use Shadow PC shadow.tech and they have port forwarding which I have working. My device shows up in the file explorer as my D drive, but when I go to open it, I get a dialogue with the header, "Location is not available," and next to a big red X, it reads, "D:\ is not...
  7. Search in external storage device

in Cortana
    Search in external storage device: How can I search a word in documents that are in an external storage device? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-in-external-storage-device/8d5abdd3-c417-47cd-9f15-8449fe238e3e
  8. Hitachi External Storage Device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hitachi External Storage Device: Cannot get my Hatachi External Storage device to be recognized, using plug and play. Is there a driver that I need to download? If so, where can I find it?...
  9. upgrade to an SSD storage device

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    upgrade to an SSD storage device: I just upgraded my main PC to SSD and the cloning went OK but I cannot now connect to the internet. The other PC and laptop connect perfectly. Any ideas? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-to-an-ssd-storage-device/d67bf772-f649-477c-b3bf-a25c844155b4
  10. Solid State external storage device

in Windows 10 Customization
    Solid State external storage device: I have a 1TB solid state storage device that plugs into a USB port. I can see the device in device manager but can not see the device in file explorer. How can I fix this?...