Windows 10: External SSDs not suitable for large file transfers?

Discus and support External SSDs not suitable for large file transfers? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently returned a PNY Elite portable SSD ( PNY Portable SSD Elite Silver USB 3.1 (480GB): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories ) because the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by wiganken, Jan 18, 2020.

1. wiganken Win User

External SSDs not suitable for large file transfers?

I recently returned a PNY Elite portable SSD ( PNY Portable SSD Elite Silver USB 3.1 (480GB): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories ) because the transfer rate fell a lot after about 60 seconds. I was writing 32GB and 62GB image files from internal SSD to it and the transfer rate (via USB 3.0 SATA) maintained about 350MB/s for the first 60 seconds but then fell dramatically to about 24MB/s. Writing to my other (Samsung M3) external HDD maintained 100MB/s throughout and I was expecting the PNY SSD to maintain 350MB/s throughout. See pictures. I suppose if I was writing only 5GB and it took less than 60 seconds then I would not have the problem but the reason I want the SSD is to write images up to 80GB to it.

Question - Do all external SSDs suffer this dramatic fall in transfer rates after 60 seconds or have I been unlucky in buying the PNY? If so then SSDs are worse than external HDDs for large file storage.

:)

wiganken, Jan 18, 2020

2. Transfering to an External...

Very true and I do like it to be portable. I have a large number of movies and music and things of that nature on there so it comes in real handy when I want to go to a friends house or something of that nature. I'm not complaining about the transfer speed whatsoever because most of the time I end up waiting a few minutes for larger files and while transferring I simply do something else.

satindemon4u, Jan 18, 2020
  3. Mussels Win User
    File transfers slowing down, W10

i'm watching these files transfer from an SSD to a mechanical, and seeing speeds vary from 15MB/s to 80MB/s.

Windows reports the drive is at 100%, but i'd love to know what metric it's using to determine that, especially since its transferring large files (~500MB average)

Mussels, Jan 18, 2020
  4. External SSDs not suitable for large file transfers?

Windows 10 large network file transfer hangs OS

Hi,

The challenge that you are experiencing when you're doing a large network file transfer can occur due to several reasons, such as, configuration issues, hardware limitations, etc. To better assist you, kindly answer the following questions:

• Are doing a wired or a wireless transfer?
    • Were you using other programs while you were performing the large network file transfer?

We look forward to your response.

Joshua Her1, Jan 18, 2020
Thema:

External SSDs not suitable for large file transfers?

1. External SSDs not suitable for large file transfers? - Similar Threads - External SSDs suitable

2. File transfer of large files or large numbers of files speed drops or stops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File transfer of large files or large numbers of files speed drops or stops: A similar question had been locked in 2019 with no clear answer. I ran into this in August, 2022. I came to the conclusion that the problem was I was trying to copy between brand new drives that were attached to the same USB 3.0 Hub. I moved one of the drives so it was...
  3. File transfer of large files or large numbers of files speed drops or stops

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File transfer of large files or large numbers of files speed drops or stops: A similar question had been locked in 2019 with no clear answer. I ran into this in August, 2022. I came to the conclusion that the problem was I was trying to copy between brand new drives that were attached to the same USB 3.0 Hub. I moved one of the drives so it was...
  4. File transfer of large files or large numbers of files speed drops or stops

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. File recovery on SSDs.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File recovery on SSDs.: I'm setting up a new desktop that has 2 SSD drives and was wondering if I should install my file recovery programs. My question is, if a file gets deleted and not sent to the Recycle Bin on a SSD is the file still there like on a HDD or is it permanently deleted? 179675
  6. Large HDDs or SSDs?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Large HDDs or SSDs?: Hi, There is an ongoing thread about changing drive letters and a question was asked. I didn't want to post my question there in fear of hijacking it. But what is the purpose of larger HDDs/SSDs?. There are some members who have really large HDDs, 3-4tb or more, internal or...
  7. Transferring files to external HD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transferring files to external HD: I just bought a WD easystore 2tb external hard drive, I also have an old HP slim line s5-1414 PC that is running windows 10. when I transfer a file from the PC to the external hard drive the file still appears on the PC. I’m trying to save space on the computer. I’m...
  8. Transferring files to external storage

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transferring files to external storage: On my Lenovo ideapad, I cannot figure out how to transfer files or whatever to external storage. I have to free up space for windows 10 update. Never did it before. Technically incompetent...
  9. Onedrive download large files to external harddrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive download large files to external harddrive: I have to download >500 gb from the onedrive cloud to an external harddrive. I am only able to download 3.9 gb at a time. Is there any options to download large amounts of data?...
  10. Transferring OS between two SSDs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transferring OS between two SSDs: Hello all I built a small home server a year or so ago. As i had a spare key lying around, I have used Windows 10 as my OS and simply connected all my other devices to it. It’s obviously not a bespoke server solution but it works well enough for my purposes. I used a...