Windows 10: External storage device is not showing up on laptop

Discus and support External storage device is not showing up on laptop in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; External storage device , Verbatim , is not showing up on my laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by PhilipBonus, Dec 15, 2018.

1. External storage device is not showing up on laptop

External storage device , Verbatim , is not showing up on my laptop

:)

PhilipBonus, Dec 15, 2018

2. Update Assistant does not detect External Storage Device

I am currently facing an issue with the update assistant. The problem comes from the prompt as seen from this webpage

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-10-freeing-up-space-to-install-latest-update

The issue is in "Step 2: Connect an external storage device". It says to
    "Connect your external storage device and wait until you see it in the drop-down list" but the external storage device already connected to my device (and shows up on My PC) is not shown on the drop down list. Can you help?

External storage device is not showing up on laptop c6321704-8541-466f-88a9-ab5e75fbdf04?upload=true.png

Haziq Jamaludin, Dec 15, 2018
  3. In "This PC" storage numbers aren't showing up under my external hdd storage bar

Hello Fermin,

We understand your concern in this regard.

• Is this issue specific to this External Hard drive?
    • Did you try connecting other USB storage devices?
    • Did you check connecting the same drive on different computer?
    From the screenshot you have provided, I can see that every partition is showing the drive size, except the External Hard drive. I guess you also tried formatting the drive without success. I suspect that the problem lies with it. To confirm the same, suggest
    you check connecting the same External Hard drive on different computer to see if it works fine. This will give us the clue on the root cause.

Meanwhile, try connecting some other USB storage devices to see if the same thing happens with them.

Let us know the outcome to guide you further.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Dec 15, 2018
  4. External storage device is not showing up on laptop

Quirky behaviour with external HDD

Since you have already checked Device Manager and did not see any errors, we suggest that you manually uninstall the device drivers for your external drives. Doing this will allow the system to install the driver for your external drive automatically and
    correct any error. You can follow the steps below to uninstall the device driver:

• Search for Device Manager via Cortana and hit the
      Enter key.
    • Go to View, and click Show hidden icons.
    • On the Device Manager, check under Universal Serial Bus Controllers (if the drive is connected via USB). The drive should appear as a USB Mass Storage Device.
    • Uninstall the USB Mass Storage Device listed in the Device Manager.
    • Restart your PC.
    • After restarting, allow the default USB Mass Storage Device drivers to be automatically downloaded by windows. Make sure that you are connected to the internet for this process to push through.
    • Reinstall all other drivers from the support website of your External drive.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Dec 15, 2018
Thema:

External storage device is not showing up on laptop

1. External storage device is not showing up on laptop - Similar Threads - External storage device

2. External hard drive shows up as "portable device" instead of "usb mass storage"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive shows up as "portable device" instead of "usb mass storage": The drive works fine. Except it continuously goes to sleep. Then, when I try to access the drive again, it kills everything connected to USB keyboard, mouse, etc. for as much as a minute before anything becomes responsive again.This has happened with multiple drives, multiple...
  3. External hard drive shows up as "portable device" instead of "usb mass storage"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive shows up as "portable device" instead of "usb mass storage": The drive works fine. Except it continuously goes to sleep. Then, when I try to access the drive again, it kills everything connected to USB keyboard, mouse, etc. for as much as a minute before anything becomes responsive again.This has happened with multiple drives, multiple...
  4. External hard drive shows up as "portable device" instead of "usb mass storage"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Storage devices not accessible internal, external

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage devices not accessible internal, external: The accessibility of internal and external usb storage devices has become blocked in Windows 11 complete with all latest updates. This concerns an internal Samsung SSD 859 EVO 500GB Drive SSD and an internal TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB drive DVD and any external usb storage...
  6. Search in external storage device

in Cortana
    Search in external storage device: How can I search a word in documents that are in an external storage device? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-in-external-storage-device/8d5abdd3-c417-47cd-9f15-8449fe238e3e
  7. Hitachi External Storage Device

Hitachi External Storage Device: Cannot get my Hatachi External Storage device to be recognized, using plug and play. Is there a driver that I need to download? If so, where can I find it?...
  8. SSD showing up as a microsoft storage space device

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD showing up as a microsoft storage space device: Hello About a week ago my laptop stopped working, because my 512gb Samsung ssd 840 Pro series hard drive failed somehow. I moved the drive to my desktop pc, and found that it had had its partitions deleted somehow. I downloaded multiple applications to save some of my...
  9. external devices wake up my laptop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    external devices wake up my laptop: My laptop wake up every day at 3:00 a.m , although i have set it up the windows’10 maintentance at 9:00 p.m.So I found out that occurs to the connecting external devices.WD my passport and usb stick of my mouce.I noticed that the problem...
  10. Hardwire Laptop to External Storage

Hardwire Laptop to External Storage: I connected my laptop via ethernet cable to my terabyte external storage, but my laptop doesn't seem to recognize the drive using Exploring...? Any ideas on how to connect (to ack-up my laptop? Thank You!...