Windows 10: External USB connected HDD will not Eject due to being in use

Discus and support External USB connected HDD will not Eject due to being in use in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Having recently found this to be an issue I looked for an answer. All the answers I found involved assuming that there was an underlying issue with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by HoovaDevil, Mar 2, 2020.

1. External USB connected HDD will not Eject due to being in use

Having recently found this to be an issue I looked for an answer. All the answers I found involved assuming that there was an underlying issue with Windows or drivers.

I had noticed that at times the device could be ejected and therefore was unlikely to be related to the configuration.

I have found that if the drive is available at Boot time it is treated as being part of the system and therefore, despite there being an option to eject it in the Taskbar, it will not. When the drive is powered on after boot it can be ejected.

I did try to find a way of declaring the drive as a removable device but it appears there is no such setting in Windows. The suggested methods of changing the Policy settings for the drive made no difference.

According to the article below it is the BIOS that determines this. The article is related to the opposite situation when an internal drive shows up as removeable media:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/3083627/internal-sata-drives-show-up-as-removeable-media

According to Device Manager, my external drive is located on USB Mass Storage Device. I would assume that this would qualify as removable media.

Using ProcessExplorer and searching for "X:" shows 3 processes:

explorer.exe 7992 File X:

explorer.exe 7992 File X:

WWAHost.exe 10120 Mutant \Sessions\1\AppContainerNamedObjects\...

The explorer processes both show that SearchIndexer.exe has SearchFilterHost.exe and SearchProtocolHost.exe connected.

As far as I understand this is related to the Indexing feature. This feature is unchecked in this drives properties.

While ensuring the drive is off at boot time is okay I would like to know if there is any way of fixing the issue.

:)

HoovaDevil, Mar 2, 2020

2. Can't Eject External HDD After Upgrade

my windows 10 Home version is 1803, Build 17134.285 after upgrade. however, now i can't eject safely external HDD. i thought it was one of my HDD but then i tried all my HDDs, and they won't eject safely with a message "drive is currently in use ..... ".

no problem with my usb sticks.

thanks.

SoniManUtd, Mar 2, 2020
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Eject options inconsistent between USB stick and USB external drive - Windows 10

Hi,

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Have you tried connecting different external drive?

• Do you face the same issue with different external drive?

As a work around , I suggest you to connect different external drive to your system and check whether will you get the option to Eject from File explorer or not.

And also try connecting same external drive to different system and check if the issue persist.

Reply with necessary information so that can assist you better.

Arun B J, Mar 2, 2020
  4. External USB connected HDD will not Eject due to being in use

Is my External HDD files currupted?

I connected my external HDD to USB port , and soon after the little
    auto play
    window appears and auto was acting like it was scanning something, as usually auto play does normally ; than
    immediately I unplugged my my external HDD
    unconsciously
    without proper ejecting which we called safely remove drive . My external HDD contains lots of music, videos and obviously images. Now my question is, Is my any of my files in
    External HDD get corrupted due to not removing it properly?

WasimAhmad6699, Mar 2, 2020
Thema:

External USB connected HDD will not Eject due to being in use

1. External USB connected HDD will not Eject due to being in use - Similar Threads - External USB connected

2. Can't safely eject an external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't safely eject an external HDD: I used an external HDD to download a game Forza Horizon 5 and now I can't safely eject it I get the "Device in use prompt". Before whenever I turned off the laptop or ejected the HDD the power light turned off but now even when I shut down the laptop the power light stays on....
  3. Can't safely eject an external HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't safely eject an external HDD: I used an external HDD to download a game Forza Horizon 5 and now I can't safely eject it I get the "Device in use prompt". Before whenever I turned off the laptop or ejected the HDD the power light turned off but now even when I shut down the laptop the power light stays on....
  4. Can't safely eject an external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Can't eject external HDD, some program is still using it.

Can't eject external HDD, some program is still using it.: I have already put my external HDD drive generally E: or F: in the exclusion list of Windows security. I have checked that none of the other programs is using my HDD. In my resource monitor, I can't see any process using my external HDD.My external HDD still rotates and I...
  6. No eject for Seagate external HDD

No eject for Seagate external HDD: There is no eject in the right click menu of my Seagate Expansion. As it's a USB HDD should it not have eject in the right click menu? I have no way to eject this drive. Safely remove hardware from the Task bar always gives me "this device is currently in use". The Seagate...
  7. No eject for Seagate external HDD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    No eject for Seagate external HDD: There is no eject in the right click menu of my Seagate Expansion. As it's a USB HDD should it not have eject in the right click menu? I have no way to eject this drive. Safely remove hardware from the Task bar always gives me "this device is currently in use". The Seagate...
  8. Unable to "safely eject" external HDD

Unable to "safely eject" external HDD: I've been experiencing this for a while now. Whenever i try to safely remove my Seagate External hard drive, an error pops up which says its being used by some programs when i am not actually using it. I tried to find out what was causing the problem and i found two warnings...
  9. Problem ejecting external HDD

Problem ejecting external HDD: Hello MS Community, I had a brand new Toshiba 500gb HDD that I put in a case I bought online to use as an external HDD. When I shutdown all files/programs related to said HDD and try to eject I get error message saying the "device is currently in use" even though...
  10. Large Size External HDD repeatedly ejects and connects by itself

in Windows 10 Support
    Large Size External HDD repeatedly ejects and connects by itself: Hi all. I have been using external HDDs with computers for many years. I have 500GB, 1TB and 2TB ones (WD, Seagate, Samsung, Transcend etc) and all work perfectly. Recently, I purchased a 4TB drive (Transcend). This one has a strange problem. It worked fine for a couple of...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wd smart cant eject