Windows 10: External USB disk drives

Discus and support External USB disk drives in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I currently have 4 USB disk drives. Occasionally I get a notification asking how do I want to configure a couple of these. When I click on the notice... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by KenGoodnight, May 29, 2019.

1. External USB disk drives

I currently have 4 USB disk drives. Occasionally I get a notification asking how do I want to configure a couple of these. When I click on the notice nothing happens. One of these, my primary data drive, works but doesn't consistently show up in various configuration settings.

I have recently successfully completed the May 20129 Win 10 update. Suggestions, please

:)

KenGoodnight, May 29, 2019

2. External disk drive not showing up

Check if the drive is assigned a drive letter.

Press Windows key + X

Click Disk Management

If you see your drive listed there, but no drive letter, right click it

Click Change Drive Letter and Paths

Click Add

Click Assign the following drive letter

Click in the Drive letter list box

Choose a drive letter - try choosing letters near the end of the alphabet

Click OK

Click OK again

If that does not work...

Press Windows key + X

Click Device Manager

Expand Disk drives

Right click the external drive

Click uninstall

Exit Device Manager, restart then check if its detected.

or

Step 1. Press Windows key + R to open the Run dialog

Step 2. Type regedit and press Enter

Step 3. Navigate to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_Machine > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > USB

Step 4. If the USB key does not exist into the list, then create a new key USB under Services. Now create a new DWORD value under the key that you’ve just created

Step 5. Keep the USB key selected and right-click on the blank space at the right pane

Step 6. Select New > DWORD value from the context menu

Step 7.Rename this newly created DWORD value as DisableSelectiveSuspend

Step 8. Right-click on DisableSelectiveSuspend and select Modify

Step 9. Put 1 in Value data field and then click OK

Step 10. Reboot your PC

Andre Da Costa, May 29, 2019
  3. Ferdz Amp Win User
    Toshiba External USB drives not showing in Explorer or Disk Management Plug-in

Thank you for the update.

Looks like your system is unable to detect your external hard drive. Let's see if scanning for new hardware will fix the issue. Follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key to launch the Start menu.
    • Type in Device Manager and press Enter.
    • Under Device Manager, select Action tab > Scan for hardware changes.
    • Wait for your system to install the generic driver for your device and follow the on-screen instructions.

If the issue still persists, we suggest that you perform the following recommendations below:

• Plug in your external USB drives to other USB device port of your system.
    • Use other USB cables for your external device to connect to your system.

Keep us updated and we will be glad to assist you further.

Ferdz Amp, May 29, 2019
  4. Mussels Win User

External USB disk drives

HELP!!! External Drive issues!!

you're in luck, the guy with way too much external storage is here to the rescue!

step 1: try with a different USB cable

step 2: take the drive out of the enclosure and connect it internally to your PC

quite likely the cable or enclosure has died. if you're re-initialising the disk you might actually be erasing it... so dont do that.

Mussels, May 29, 2019
Thema:

External USB disk drives

1. External USB disk drives - Similar Threads - External USB disk

2. USB external Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB external Drive: My wife's Windows 10 Pro PC suddenly died.Can I move her Ext drive to to my Windows 10 Pro PC, so we can read her files ?Both are identical DELL E6540's.I presently have my own Ext Drive all is working OK on my machine.Can I keep both of them plugged in ?We both are running...
  3. USB external Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB external Drive: My wife's Windows 10 Pro PC suddenly died.Can I move her Ext drive to to my Windows 10 Pro PC, so we can read her files ?Both are identical DELL E6540's.I presently have my own Ext Drive all is working OK on my machine.Can I keep both of them plugged in ?We both are running...
  4. USB external Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. External disk drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External disk drive: My PC is not recognising my external cd drive. I have tried the different USB ports. Any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-disk-drive/32aaf7e1-e362-411e-9227-435eb1bb89bc
  6. usb external drives

usb external drives: Hello --- my hp laptop has 2 usb2 ports and 1 usb3 port and 1 usb-c port It seems that if I try to use a powered the hub uses a ac adaptor usb 3 hub connected to the usb 3 or usb c port after a time, any external disks plugged in to the hub seems to stop working -- and...
  7. External Hard drive disk

External Hard drive disk: Shown as access denied. Location unavailable[IMG] Cannot open my Seagate external HARD drive disk of 1.5TB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-disk/d12073f2-eb0d-4add-bfb1-2f9e4cff21de
  8. photo to external disk drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    photo to external disk drive: how do I burn a disk for photos https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photo-to-external-disk-drive/267bef06-6e7d-4a48-a9a2-6ac0437608aa"
  9. USB External Drive

USB External Drive: I use win 10. I have a Seagate external Slim Mobile Drive. It works fine but generates a warning in The USB Drive Device listing. The warning is: "This device cannot start." Should I Worry?...
  10. External USB drive not recognized for Disk Image

External USB drive not recognized for Disk Image: Greeting with a smile. I'm trying to save a first time disk image on an external USB drive. And I had it working at the start. The first time, it started fine, and was running fine. But it took longer than I thought it would, and I had to shut it down before it was...