Windows 10: External USB Drive Transplanted to New Enclosure - Invisible in Disk Management - Shows...

Discus and support External USB Drive Transplanted to New Enclosure - Invisible in Disk Management - Shows... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a 4 TB external WD hard drive with a bunch of important files on it. Recently, while cleaning, the drive fell and the data connection port was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DOmeara, Aug 27, 2020.

1. DOmeara Win User

External USB Drive Transplanted to New Enclosure - Invisible in Disk Management - Shows...

I have a 4 TB external WD hard drive with a bunch of important files on it. Recently, while cleaning, the drive fell and the data connection port was broken, making it unusable. I opened the casing and removed the 3.5 hard drive within, disconnecting it from the hardware with the USB and power connections. At first, I attempted to put the hard drive in my tower in an empty slot, but when I fired up the PC, it didn't recognize the drive. I fear this is where I created a larger problem than the one I already had.

I purchased a USB 3.0 to SATA Hard Drive Enclosure and connected the drive via the USB. The drive powers on and spins, but I can't interface with it. It does not appear at all in Disk Management. It shows up in the Device Manager under Disk Drives as "RSH-319 ASM 1153E SCSI Disk Device," but is unusable It appears as though Windows believes it is is an SCSI drive when it was originally used via USB and is currently connected that way.

Windows states that the drive has up-to-date drivers and attempting to manually update them times out. In fact, the computer seems unhappy with the drive in general. Trying to view the properties in Device Manager usually causes the program to stop responding. If and when I'm finally able to access the properties, the program crashes if I attempt to view the Details tab. Having the drive plugged in and turned on causes random programs to freeze and significantly slows down the boot up process.

I connected the drive to a laptop and got identical results, so it seems to be affecting the drive itself rather than how my PC is interacting with it. I haven't found any existing threads in forums that match my scenario. I'm quite concerned that I may have lost all of the files on that drive, which would be a pretty serious issue for me. My priority is being able to access the files, even if it's just to transfer them elsewhere. Being able to use the drive again is secondary. As such, I really don't want to try reformatting if at all possible.

If anyone has any recommendations, I'd very much appreciate it. Thanks.

:)

DOmeara, Aug 27, 2020
  2. JimDiv Win User

Windows 10 doesn't recognize external USB drive that worked on Windows 7

Thanks for your suggestions.

The old WD IDE drive in the USB NexStar enclosure does not show up in Disk Management.

An external Iomega IDE USB drive does show up and works fine.

It would appear to me the problem lies in the enclosure or the drive itself. I'll order a new 2.5" IDE enclosure and try that while I try and hunt down a backup drive or disk.

JimDiv, Aug 27, 2020
  3. seejp Win User
    external hard drive showing up in device management but not disk management

Hi,

I recently tried to use a brand new Seagate 2TB External HD, but it is not showing up. It initially showed up, but after I tried reformatting it to exFAT32, it disappeared from the disk management list.

I then tried:

• refreshing the disk management list,
    • inserting into a different USB port,
    • re-starting my computer, and
    • uninstalling the device from device manager/letting it refresh,

I still can't see it. There is no yellow error in the USB controller list.

I'm on Windows 10.

Intel i5-3317U @ 1.7GHz

Any suggestions? Thanks!

seejp, Aug 27, 2020
  4. Ferdz Amp Win User

External USB Drive Transplanted to New Enclosure - Invisible in Disk Management - Shows...

Toshiba External USB drives not showing in Explorer or Disk Management Plug-in

Thank you for the update.

Looks like your system is unable to detect your external hard drive. Let's see if scanning for new hardware will fix the issue. Follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key to launch the Start menu.
    • Type in Device Manager and press Enter.
    • Under Device Manager, select Action tab > Scan for hardware changes.
    • Wait for your system to install the generic driver for your device and follow the on-screen instructions.

If the issue still persists, we suggest that you perform the following recommendations below:

• Plug in your external USB drives to other USB device port of your system.
    • Use other USB cables for your external device to connect to your system.

Keep us updated and we will be glad to assist you further.

Ferdz Amp, Aug 27, 2020
Thema:

1. External USB Drive Transplanted to New Enclosure - Invisible in Disk Management - Shows... - Similar Threads - External USB Drive

2. how to get external drive to show in disk management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to get external drive to show in disk management: Anyone no a couple quick easy clicks that will make this computer see external drives and devices in disk management https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-external-drive-to-show-in-disk/f7a10a9b-2ea0-49e9-8e3d-5625d113ffc1
  3. how to get external drive to show in disk management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how to get external drive to show in disk management: Anyone no a couple quick easy clicks that will make this computer see external drives and devices in disk management https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-external-drive-to-show-in-disk/f7a10a9b-2ea0-49e9-8e3d-5625d113ffc1
  4. Disk Management: Formatting New 4TB WD HDD In External Enclosure. No Progress Indicator...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Management: Formatting New 4TB WD HDD In External Enclosure. No Progress Indicator...: Purchased new WD 4TB HDD and after initializing through Disk Management I initiated full format. Has been about an hour and no progress is showing. It just says "Formatting" see below. It displays following as well:Is this normal and I should just let it run over night? Any...
  5. Disk Management: Formatting New 4TB WD HDD In External Enclosure. No Progress Indicator...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Management: Formatting New 4TB WD HDD In External Enclosure. No Progress Indicator...: Purchased new WD 4TB HDD and after initializing through Disk Management I initiated full format. Has been about an hour and no progress is showing. It just says "Formatting" see below. It displays following as well:Is this normal and I should just let it run over night? Any...
  6. Disk Management: Formatting New 4TB WD HDD In External Enclosure. No Progress Indicator...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. External Enclosure Bad drive

External Enclosure Bad drive: Well decided to check out from my old AMD FX system, the 2tb storage drive in the Mass Cool Enclosure, HDTune shows entirely red It went thru that error scan the fastest i ever seen it do one lol, not sure if false positive or what, but just in case, transferring the data...
  8. Disk management shows no media for usb drive

Disk management shows no media for usb drive: I just got a new usb drive, plugged it into my computer, and tried formatting it to ntfs. I got an error that said something like "formatting is taking too long; disk could not be formatted" but i dont remember exactly what it said. now whenever i plug in the drive, it shows...
  9. Can't access drives in external USB 3 enclosures

Can't access drives in external USB 3 enclosures: Ever since I switched over to my new Windows 10 PC, I haven't been able to access my external USB 3.0 enclosures. They are all 4-disk enclosures by IcyDock (Black Vortex). On my old Windows 7 PC, all I had to do was turn it on and all 4 drives were detected via USB 3. Now on...
  10. Invisible external drive

Invisible external drive: I have an old Mojopac external HD, ca. 2006, that I'd like to use for portable storage. (This was a Windows environment on a drive.) When I plug it in, it lights up and I can feel the motor running, but I don't see it in This PC or under Devices in Control Panel. How can I...