Windows 10: External USB drives not recognized after Win 10 clean install

Discus and support External USB drives not recognized after Win 10 clean install in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just reinstalled Windows 10 Pro (newest version 2004) on my Dell i5 PC. This was a clean install to a reformatted drive C partition, part of a 240Gb... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by KenY7744, Jun 18, 2020.

1. KenY7744 Win User

External USB drives not recognized after Win 10 clean install

I just reinstalled Windows 10 Pro (newest version 2004) on my Dell i5 PC. This was a clean install to a reformatted drive C partition, part of a 240Gb SSD. I also have a second internal HD of 4Tb, which is partitioned into 4 1Tb drives.

Prior to the reinstall, both Seagate 6Tb and Seagate 5Tb external drives were seen and accessible in File Explorer and Disk Management. I have a third external WD 1Tb drive which was also connected prior to reinstall, and this drive does show up in File Explorer and Disk Management. The other internal 4 1Tb partitions all show up in File Explorer and Disk Management.

I have disconnected both the 5Tb and 6Tb drives, shut down and restarted, then reconnected drives but they are still not being detected.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Ken

:)

KenY7744, Jun 18, 2020
  2. AzGenes Win User

Win 10 and external solid state drive incompatable

Since upgrade to Win-10 I can no longer backup files to external Hitachi and Western Dig. External drives. On two HP and Acer 64bit machines.

deleted the old external usb drivers, rebooted, still won't recognize. Tried the win-10 backup software, but it doesn't recognize the drives are there.

open to suggestion. Only assist I could see by Microsoft is info on Win7/8

AzGenes, Jun 18, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    computer not recognizing usb drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are unable to use USB drive on your computer. I’ll certainly assist you with this.

However, please let us know:

• Do you receive any error when connecting a USB drive?
    • Does this issue occur only with one particular USB or with all the USB drives?
    • Are you aware of any changes made to the computer prior to this issue?
    • Which build version of Windows 10 is installed on the computer? To check type
      winver in the search bar on the Taskbar and hit
      Enter.
    • What is the make and model of the computer?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the article

Error: “USB Device not recognized”
    except for Method 1 and 2.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 18, 2020
  4. maplenut Win User

External Hard Drive (USB) Installation Win.10

I have installed an external hard drive (USB Installation) My PC and Win 10 recognize the external drive and it seems to be operating ok with the exception? When I want to send an Item/ example a picture / from pictures or any where else the Hard drive does
    not appear as a place to send to? I can copy an item or drag an item to the external HD. I can send an item from the external HD.

What am I missing? I did note that the external HD did not Migrate, what ever that means?

Does any one have a solution?

Thank you,

maplenut, Jun 18, 2020
Thema:

1. External USB drives not recognized after Win 10 clean install - Similar Threads - External USB drives

2. Seagate (freeagent) external drive not recognized in Win 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Seagate (freeagent) external drive not recognized in Win 10: I have an older (10+ years) Seagate external drive that I gave to my brother some years ago... I load up some movies and shows on it a couple times a year for him. I switched laptops about 7 months ago, The other day I tried connecting it to my newer laptop... But Win 10 is...
  3. Win 10 USB install won't recognize replaced hard drive...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 USB install won't recognize replaced hard drive...: I recently replaced the hard drive on a Dell 7560 laptop but when I try to load a copy of Windows 10 from a USB drive, the software can't see the replaced hard drive. The Windows 10 install from USB dialog box asks "where to install windows" but the box it blank, No hard...
  4. Win 10 USB install won't recognize replaced hard drive...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 USB install won't recognize replaced hard drive...: I recently replaced the hard drive on a Dell 7560 laptop but when I try to load a copy of Windows 10 from a USB drive, the software can't see the replaced hard drive. The Windows 10 install from USB dialog box asks "where to install windows" but the box it blank, No hard...
  5. Clean install Win 10 with USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install Win 10 with USB: I have Win 10 64 bit downloaded onto a USB flash drive in order to do a clean install on my SSD drive...is installing it through BIOS any advantage than simply going through system recovery and using this method (remove everything install through USB) which method is better...
  6. Clean instal Win 10 with USB

Clean instal Win 10 with USB: I have Win 10 64 bit downloaded onto a USB flash drive in order to do a clean install on my SSD drive...is installing it through BIOS any advantage than simply going through system recovery and using this method (remove everything install through USB) which method is better...
  7. USB not recognizing external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB not recognizing external hard drive: Brand new laptop does not give connecting sound when usb drive is plugged in. Drive works on older computer and usb port on new computer works with other peripherals. Restarted with drive already plugged in and there was no new hardware found. Device Manager shows no...
  8. Windows 10 doesn't recognize an external USB drive

Windows 10 doesn't recognize an external USB drive: I have a 4 TB external USB drive, which works as expected in File Explorer, but when I try to configure the Windows 10 Backup utility to use that drive, the utility does not see the drive. It does see two other USB drives, but they are too small to be used for backups....
  9. USB 3.0 Seagate SATA External Hard Drive Not Recognized Win. 10

USB 3.0 Seagate SATA External Hard Drive Not Recognized Win. 10: I recently purchased a Seagate Momentus 5400.6 hard drive and a Sabrent USB 3.0 SATA Hard Drive flat docking station to connect via usb to my Dell XPS L702x laptop. Upon putting the hard drive in the external enclosure and connecting to my laptop via usb my computer is not...
  10. Win 10 clean install doesn't recognize primary drive

Win 10 clean install doesn't recognize primary drive: Hi, My husband has an ASUS G752VT with a 256 SSD primary drive and a 1TB secondary drive. We are trying to do a clean install of Windows because of serious issues he's had with things not working. When the install got to the window of where to install the product, the SSD...