Windows 10: External USB DVD Drive Disappears

Discus and support External USB DVD Drive Disappears in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am running Windows 10. I have an external USB DVD Drive, which when I plug into a USB port, is recognised by File Manager and the USB Eject icon... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Himanshu A Shah, Feb 13, 2021.

1. External USB DVD Drive Disappears

I am running Windows 10.

I have an external USB DVD Drive, which when I plug into a USB port, is recognised by File Manager and the USB Eject icon list on the taskbar.
    When I place a DVD in the drive, the movie comes up and plays perfectly OK.

When I eject the DVD, the DVD Drive renames on File Manager, but not on the USB Eject icon list.
    When I place the DVD back in the drive, still not DVD Drive on USB Eject icon list.
    If you click on the File Manager DVD Drive, it just hangs.
    Only when I physically remove and then reinsert the USB connection for the DVD Drive, is it fully recognised by Windows, and useable again.

Any ideas please?

:)

Himanshu A Shah, Feb 13, 2021

2. Windows 10 and External DVD drive

Hi,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

I would suggest you to open the device manager and check if the drive shows up in device manager.

Follow the steps given below:

1. Press Windows key + R to open the run command.

2. Type devmgmt.msc and press enter to open device manager.

3. Expand DVD/CD-Rom drives and check if the external DVD drive is listed.

4. If so, right click on it and uninstall it.

5. Restart the computer.

Let us know the result.

Wungraileng Vashi, Feb 13, 2021
  3. Windows 10 does not recognise external usb dvd drive. NEW METHOD REQUIRED fornfix

So, after a recent update, my father-in-laws laptop has stopped recognising his external dvd drive. It shows up in device drivers as an initio device, and in portable drives, it's listed as e:\ but it doesn't show up as a drive in file manager windows.

This happened previously, and I used a fix listed here

Link to old fix

METHOD 5 and METHOD 6

My problem is, that now he has updated windows to most recent version, this fix no longer seems to work, and if you notice at the bottom of the support methods provides, it specifically states that these methods should NOT BE NECESSARY in the latest updates.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I originally listed the steps detailed in old fix, but formatting disappeared and it became a wall of text, so just provided link and methods used. Please read original methods to see steps I have already taken.

sandy the hippy, Feb 13, 2021
  4. mikelori5 Win User

External USB DVD Drive Disappears

Disappearing dvd drive

When I hook up an internal hard drive in win 10 my DVD drive disappears . Cant find it in explorer . The second hard drive takes the D letter and no DVD rom is shown . When i disconnect the HD the DVD returns as D drive . Any suggestions . SATA connections on everything .

mikelori5, Feb 13, 2021
Thema:

External USB DVD Drive Disappears

1. External USB DVD Drive Disappears - Similar Threads - External USB DVD

2. External USB DVD drive not recognised

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External USB DVD drive not recognised: I have a Lenovo ideapad 3 Slim 3 15" running Windows 11 with all uppdates and I have just purchased a external USB DVD drive so I can load my Flight Simulator. However, the DVD is not recognised anywhere. How do I get the DVD drive to work?...
  3. External USB DVD drive not recognised

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External USB DVD drive not recognised: I have a Lenovo ideapad 3 Slim 3 15" running Windows 11 with all uppdates and I have just purchased a external USB DVD drive so I can load my Flight Simulator. However, the DVD is not recognised anywhere. How do I get the DVD drive to work?...
  4. External drive disappeared

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External drive disappeared: I have an external hard disk connected to a USB port on my PC. This is used for backup.This has disappeared from my list of drives in File Explorer > This PC.A possible reason is that I ejected the wrong drive when I ejected a USB flash drive.How do I get my PC to "see" this...
  5. External usb slim drive cd/dvd player.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External usb slim drive cd/dvd player.: I bought a USB 3.0 Portable Optical Slim CD/DVD Burner Player RW Drive. It's from Mekkoz. I bought it on Amazon. It's plug & play. That part works, but it won't recognize any media, even with discs I know works in other devices. The driver is up to date supposedly. It also...
  6. Disappearing DVD drive

Disappearing DVD drive: My Dell XPS 8920 (Windows 10) had an Dell OEM DVD writer (Drive E) which stopped working after a year. While the DVD drive was working, I purchased an external Pioneer BRD XD05B USB blu-ray writer (Drive G) to play Blu-ray discs. I replaced the Dell OEM DVD writer with an...
  7. external dvd drive

external dvd drive: can't find my external drive to download softwear on this computer. it is plugged in by usb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-dvd-drive/8881c714-98f4-43a2-82b9-704293bd6ad2
  8. External DVD drive disappears when a disk is inserted

in Windows 10 Customization
    External DVD drive disappears when a disk is inserted: The dvd drive is recognized in the device manager. The drive shows up in This PC but disappears when a media is in the drive. The driver has been updated to manufacturer supplied....
  9. External dvd drive

External dvd drive: I'm trying to connect a cocopa external dvd reader with no success. Any ideas why it's not connecting? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/external-dvd-drive/89b08ee8-6e6d-4287-a820-3526daeb1b49
  10. Disappearing dvd drive

Disappearing dvd drive: When I hook up an internal hard drive in win 10 my DVD drive disappears . Cant find it in explorer . The second hard drive takes the D letter and no DVD rom is shown . When i disconnect the HD the DVD returns as D drive . Any suggestions . SATA connections on everything . 36794