Windows 10: External USB DVD stopped working or showing up in file explorer on Win 10

Discus and support External USB DVD stopped working or showing up in file explorer on Win 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So I bought an inexpensive Optiarc USB DVD drive for my Acer Aspire E5-575G, and initially had to go through numerous steps troubleshooting before i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Ozzmodious, Sep 21, 2018.

1. External USB DVD stopped working or showing up in file explorer on Win 10

So I bought an inexpensive Optiarc USB DVD drive for my Acer Aspire E5-575G, and initially had to go through numerous steps troubleshooting before i finally got it to work. I've had to do registry edits, driver searches, and every other troubleshooting method I could find on the subject, but finally got it working.

Well, between last night, and this morning, it stopped being detected again. I can see the device listed in the device manager under DVD/CD-ROM drives, but it is grayed out and tells me the device is not plugged in, when the device most assuredly IS currently plugged in.

The issue is as it was before, when I plug it in, it displays as an unknown device. No matter what I do, or what I try, nothing works. None of the other methods work now. Everything they suggest i delete in the IDE ATAPI controllers is already gone. Every change they suggest I make to the registry already exists. None of the walkthroughs have shown anything that is incorrectly set up on my system for me to need to make changes. I am out of patience and ideas for how to resolve this. As far as I can tell, it should function just fine.

:)

Ozzmodious, Sep 21, 2018
  2. J Bortz Win User

Windows File Explorer and (possibly) related External HD Issue

Help, I am at wit’s end regarding Windows file explorer. It rarely starts up expeditiously, crashes routinely, and it really is impacting the Windows 10 experience. There are some things going on that I simply do not understand:

• There is a mysterious Local Disk (EJ that I cannot access. It reports that the drive is not accessible as the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. I did not create it with a clean image install if Win
    • I have an external HD that the system (through Control Panel and Devices/Printers) recognizes as an external drive and that it is working properly. When I look on the Hardware tab of its properties, I see the USB disk drive, but that pesky E: drive
      shows up as a portable device – very confused. Interestingly enough, file explorer (when working) calls it a System Folder and reports it as empty. Per above I cannot access E:.
    • Since file explorer is catch as catch can, I resort to opening files with Office 2007. Unfortunately, I believe the file functions also impacts my use of Office 2007. Most applications open, but then sputters for several seconds before I can access
      the file list, or is slow to navigate to the particular document folder.
    I had the same experience with Win 8; frustrated to the point that I went back to Win 7 and life was perfect until the Win 10 upgrade. That process was painful, as it needed much help from MS Techs (they were great). Ended up having to burn an image DVD of Win
    10 and do a clean install. The issues above were not present immediately under Win 10, only after a few updates. Any help and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated. BTW, I have tried most of the explorer suggestions here and on other blogs with no improvement.

J Bortz, Sep 21, 2018
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    File explorer shows EXTENAL USB volumes TWICE

Hi there

Anybody else get the problem of external USB volumes appearing TWICE in the file explorer list (Build 9860).

External USB DVD stopped working or showing up in file explorer on Win 10 [​IMG]

Not a show stopper but annoying.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 21, 2018
  4. External USB DVD stopped working or showing up in file explorer on Win 10

Windows 10 - DVD not showing in File Explorer

I am having a similar issue with a new custom build. I'm using WIN 10 Pro. The OS was installed using this DVD drive with no issue. After installing MB drivers and Graphics drivers (with reboots), the drive is not visible in File Explorer.

I have added the registry entry (and confirmed).

The DVD shows in drive manager with the letter D:

I put a DVD in the drive.

It does not show in File Explorer.

I can enter d: in a web browser and it opens. The drive is also then visible in File Explorer.

I take the DVD out of the drive and the drive is no longer visible in File Explorer.

Really strange. Any ideas? I can work around this a bit using the above technique but that is not what I wish!

DougWhiteCS, Sep 21, 2018
Thema:

External USB DVD stopped working or showing up in file explorer on Win 10

1. External USB DVD stopped working or showing up in file explorer on Win 10 - Similar Threads - External USB DVD

2. USB not showing up in file explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB not showing up in file explorer.: This problem has been going on for a while, a 1 TB usb drive that I own suddenly had a problem where it wouldn't appear on my file explorer and I couldn't open it.Yes I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling, it didn't work. What do I do?...
  3. USB not showing up in file explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB not showing up in file explorer.: This problem has been going on for a while, a 1 TB usb drive that I own suddenly had a problem where it wouldn't appear on my file explorer and I couldn't open it.Yes I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling, it didn't work. What do I do?...
  4. USB not showing up in file explorer.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Why does my USB DVD player not show up in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my USB DVD player not show up in File Explorer?: Why does my USB DVD player not show up in File Explorer?Most of the time a reboot fixes this but today nothing seems to work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-my-usb-dvd-player-not-show-up-in-file/40a13731-681a-4c66-8bfd-6516013b5209
  6. Why does my USB DVD player not show up in File Explorer?

Why does my USB DVD player not show up in File Explorer?: Why does my USB DVD player not show up in File Explorer?Most of the time a reboot fixes this but today nothing seems to work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-my-usb-dvd-player-not-show-up-in-file/40a13731-681a-4c66-8bfd-6516013b5209
  7. External SSD not showing up in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External SSD not showing up in file explorer: Hello everyone,I'm trying to connect an external SSD drive using USB, however it doesn't show up in the file explorer. When I plug it in, Windows displays it with the correct name in the little menu in the taskbar and offers me to eject it. In the Device Manager it's listed...
  8. External SSD not showing up in file explorer

External SSD not showing up in file explorer: Hello everyone,I'm trying to connect an external SSD drive using USB, however it doesn't show up in the file explorer. When I plug it in, Windows displays it with the correct name in the little menu in the taskbar and offers me to eject it. In the Device Manager it's listed...
  9. External SSD not showing up in file explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. Under Win 10, file explorer stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Under Win 10, file explorer stopped working: The file explorer stopped working. I tried to start the sfc /scannow utility, however the dos cmd prompt for admin does not come up. I tried a regular dos command, but apparently does not have admin privileges. My computer account has admin privileges. Any advise? 18876