Windows 10: External usb floppy constantly seeks / chugs

Discus and support External usb floppy constantly seeks / chugs in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm running windows 10 on a gigabyte 370n-wifi board with a pentium g5400 gold core; it's a fairly modern bios etc. I bought an external usb floppy... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by johnuk, Nov 17, 2019.

1. johnuk Win User

External usb floppy constantly seeks / chugs

I'm running windows 10 on a gigabyte 370n-wifi board with a pentium g5400 gold core; it's a fairly modern bios etc. I bought an external usb floppy drive from ebay. It was one of the new ones designed more for legacy support. I would assume the computer is seeing it basically as a usb drive called 'floppy drive' and something on board may be doing the floppy drive read, as opposed to the computer controlling it directly. I noticed it does two odd things for a floppy drive. One, the led is continually on even when it's not actually reading. Two, it makes a 'chug' sound every couple of minutes. I realise that's the drive head jogging and it's quite likely caused by windows re-polling the connected drives; it even does it with file explorer closed. Question is, is there anyway to make it stop doing that other than just unplugging it? *sarc

:)

johnuk, Nov 17, 2019
  2. Ripper3 Win User

PCI Floppy card

I've never heard of one, but if you don't happen to find one, and you need a floppy drive, might I suggest an external USB floppy drive? They're pretty cheap, and I believe they're bootable, AFAIK.

Ripper3, Nov 17, 2019
  3. Noor_Azam Win User
    trying get external iomega floppy drive to work with windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. What is the current Windows 10 build version installed on your computer?
    2. Are you able to use the Floppy drive on a different computer?
    As there is a prompt on the screen saying the software is loaded, I suggest you to open the Disk Management and see if you are able to see the device under it.

Follow these steps to open Disk Management.

1. Press and hold the Windows + X key on the keyboard.
    2. Select Disk Management.

Scroll down the Disk management window and check if the Floppy drive is visible, if yes.

• Right click on the Floppy drive.
    • Click on Change drive Letter and Paths.
    • Click on Change.
    • Assign the drive letter you need and click on
      OK
    • Click OK to close the window.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Noor Azam S

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Noor_Azam, Nov 17, 2019
  4. External usb floppy constantly seeks / chugs

Windows 10 USB Floppy Drive not working

Hi Willard,

Thank you for your response with the current status of the issue.

The issue could occur if the USB Floppy driver is corrupt.

To assist you better, please provide us the below information:

• Have you tried checking in another computer?
    • Have you made any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

I suggest you to update to update TEAC USB Floppy drive and check if it helps.

1. Press Windows Key + R Key.

2. Then type “devmgmt.msc” without the quotes and hit on Enter Key.

3. Expand Disk Drives.

4. Right click on the USB Floppy driver and click on Update driver software.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Nov 17, 2019
Thema:

External usb floppy constantly seeks / chugs

1. External usb floppy constantly seeks / chugs - Similar Threads - External usb floppy

2. WINDOWS 11 DOES NOT ALLOW 3.5" EXTERNAL USB FLOPPY DRIVE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WINDOWS 11 DOES NOT ALLOW 3.5" EXTERNAL USB FLOPPY DRIVE: WHEN I PLUG EXTERNAL USB 3.5" FLOPPY DRIVE INTO LENOVO THINKPAD P16 GEN ......A DRIVE NEVER APPEARS OR APPEARS FOR A BRIEF SECOND THEN DISAPPEARS .......SOME OF US ARE STILL USING THIS OLD HARDWARE .DOES THIS WINDOWS 11 SUPPORT FLOPPY DRIVES ?...
  3. WINDOWS 11 DOES NOT ALLOW 3.5" EXTERNAL USB FLOPPY DRIVE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WINDOWS 11 DOES NOT ALLOW 3.5" EXTERNAL USB FLOPPY DRIVE: WHEN I PLUG EXTERNAL USB 3.5" FLOPPY DRIVE INTO LENOVO THINKPAD P16 GEN ......A DRIVE NEVER APPEARS OR APPEARS FOR A BRIEF SECOND THEN DISAPPEARS .......SOME OF US ARE STILL USING THIS OLD HARDWARE .DOES THIS WINDOWS 11 SUPPORT FLOPPY DRIVES ?...
  4. External floppy drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External floppy drive: Will Microsoft ever come out with a driver to support external floppy drives for windows 10 pro? What have you done to windows 10 & 10 pro? So so many people want a answer. * Moved from Mobile Devices...
  5. USB Floppy Drive

USB Floppy Drive: I have a USB floppy drive that I cannot connect to my desktop. This PC is running Windows 10. In addition this drive is seen in the device Manager but not in the Windows Explorer...
  6. Why won't Windows 10 read 3.5" floppy disk on external USB floppy drive?

Why won't Windows 10 read 3.5" floppy disk on external USB floppy drive?: Is there a fix to make Windows 10 read 3.5 floppy disks on a USB floppy disk drive. The drive shows up in the Devices and Printers screen but when I right click on the device and choose "Browse files" and then choose "Floppy Disk DriveA:" it replies "A:\ is not accessible....
  7. The use of an external USB Floppy Drive with Win 10

The use of an external USB Floppy Drive with Win 10: After reading all the recommended procedures here for getting a USB Floppy Drive to work in Win 10 including the remove and reinstall drivers i have come to the following conclusions: 1- the system search ONLY yields that the drivers are current 2- removing drivers in the...
  8. Unable to use USB Floppy Drive

Unable to use USB Floppy Drive: I am really hope I can get some help with this. I have two different USB floppy drives that will not work on either my desktop, or my laptop. I am running version 1903 on the desktop, while I have the latest Preview on the laptop. The strangest part is that the drive is...
  9. Iomega floppy disk usb drive

Iomega floppy disk usb drive: Hi. I would like to know whether I can use my old Iomega floppy disk usb drive under Windows 10. If yes, what should I do to perform the right steps towards an adequate installation of that drive. Rgs...
  10. USB Floppy disks not auto-reading

USB Floppy disks not auto-reading: I got myself a USB based floppy disk drive for my PC, so I could put my DOSBOX games and MIDIs on actual floppies. The issue I'm having is that the disks don't read when I switch them out. In order to make them read I need to open and then close the Format Menu for my A:...