Windows 10: External USB Hard Drive "Device not Migrated"

Discus and support External USB Hard Drive "Device not Migrated" in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi I have an external hard disk 4TB in a new external hard drive enclosure which cannot be recognised. I get the Device not Migrated message in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by EliteIcedragon, Jul 27, 2020.

1. External USB Hard Drive "Device not Migrated"

Hi

I have an external hard disk 4TB in a new external hard drive enclosure which cannot be recognised.

I get the Device not Migrated message in Device Manager events tab.

Device USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_TO_Exter&Prod_nal_USB_3.0&Rev_0104\2015033100081&0 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

I can view the disk in Disk Management where it is described on the left as Disk 2 Basic 3726.02GB Online, and on the right 3726.02GB Healthy Primary Partition

Selecting this box R Click brings the options menu but all options apart from Delete Volume... and Help are greyed out.

The disk is formatted and working in a music server and has @ 1TB files WAV/FLAC/Jpg. The operating system of the server is some form of linux and the server is operated over the network via an app. I can view/play the files on this drive when relocated in the Music server from my PC or my Hi Fi.

I have read various threads mostly historical on this forum which gave suggestions of fixes, but none work or are available to me e.g greyed out options in disk management.

I have checked if there any updated drivers for the USB hubs / hard disk enclosure and the HD all are reported as the latest and best.

Windows 10 Home Ver 2004 OS build 19041.388

I would appreciate any ideas for a solution!

:)

EliteIcedragon, Jul 27, 2020

2. USB external hard drive not migrating

Ok i have looked and tried every solution that I can find. My external hard drive- NAND USB2DISK USB Device is showing as Not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match. I have done the device manager step, it shows up however states it is running properly
    and no updates are needed but it does not show in my file box. This is an image of what I am seeing. How do I fix this?
    External USB Hard Drive "Device not Migrated" 194c6ead-4cf8-4d13-8f66-38c705864214?upload=true.jpg
    ox.

AnneThompson3, Jul 27, 2020
  3. twynog Win User
    External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Jul 27, 2020
  4. External USB Hard Drive "Device not Migrated"

hard drive 'not migrated' as external storage

I recently upgraded the hard drive in my Sony Vaio, and bought a plug-n-play case for the old one to use as a standard external hard drive. When I plug it into the USB port, it comes to life (disc spinning, etc.) but never shows up in windows file explorer.
    When I do a little digging, it's listed in the device manager as a usb storage device but says 'device not migrated'.

I've gone through the 2 standard responses I've found posted here about uninstalling the device and checking for hardware changes, as well as running the device troubleshooter. I need to know if it's something with the old hard drive causing problems, or
    something with Windows 10. There's no data on the drive to be concerned with, so if it's just about formatting that's no problem- but I can't format if it won't recognize the drive in the first place!! help...?

adamrichardson13, Jul 27, 2020
Thema:

External USB Hard Drive "Device not Migrated"

1. External USB Hard Drive "Device not Migrated" - Similar Threads - External USB Hard

2. My external hard drive won't read - device not migrated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My external hard drive won't read - device not migrated: Hi - my external harddrive doesn't get picked up. I've tried to follow a few threads but it doesn't work - see screenshot - it says the device not migrated. On disk management- I've tried Uninstalling but it doesn't work.Can anyone help?Thanks...
  3. My external hard drive won't read - device not migrated

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My external hard drive won't read - device not migrated: Hi - my external harddrive doesn't get picked up. I've tried to follow a few threads but it doesn't work - see screenshot - it says the device not migrated. On disk management- I've tried Uninstalling but it doesn't work.Can anyone help?Thanks...
  4. My external hard drive won't read - device not migrated

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Hard Drive migration

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard Drive migration: I have 2 lenovo all in 1 computers. One has broken screen so I want to use its 1tb hard drive to replace the 256gb hard drive in the other computer. Both have separate windows 10 licences. I have no data in either of the drives. What can I do? Thanks...
  6. Hard Drive migration

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Drive migration: I have 2 lenovo all in 1 computers. One has broken screen so I want to use its 1tb hard drive to replace the 256gb hard drive in the other computer. Both have separate windows 10 licences. I have no data in either of the drives. What can I do? Thanks...
  7. Hard Drive migration

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. USB external hard drive not migrating

USB external hard drive not migrating: Ok i have looked and tried every solution that I can find. My external hard drive- NAND USB2DISK USB Device is showing as Not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match. I have done the device manager step, it shows up however states it is running properly and no updates are...
  9. External hard drive migrated???? Or Not help please!!!!!

External hard drive migrated???? Or Not help please!!!!!: Dear Community please help, New to windows 10 and I have a major issue occurred and I'm not sure how or why it happened. My Seagate external Hard drive Migrated and Drive was reconfigured while no one was using it. Why and How did this happen? needless to say the drive was...
  10. external usb hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    external usb hard drive: Can i install windows 10 on an external USB hard drive? If so, how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-usb-hard-drive/9631ecc3-3373-4174-8b01-818623bd5c4f