Windows 10: External USB hard drive is write-protected. How can I remove write protection?

Discus and support External USB hard drive is write-protected. How can I remove write protection? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have been using a Western Digital My Passport external USB 3.0 hard drive for years as a backup drive. My old computer died and I just replaced it.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mgreen10, Nov 23, 2019.

1. mgreen10 Win User

External USB hard drive is write-protected. How can I remove write protection?

I have been using a Western Digital My Passport external USB 3.0 hard drive for years as a backup drive. My old computer died and I just replaced it. Now when I plug in the external drive, I cannot write to it in any way, even just renaming a file. This error message is displayed when I try to copy a file to the drive: "The disk is write protected. Remove the write-protection or use another disk."

If I right-click on any file or folder on the external drive and view its properties, the read-only box is checked. If I uncheck it and click Apply, this message appears: "An error occurred applying attributes to the file. The media is write-protected."

I tried the external drive on another computer and it works fine. It is writeable.

How can I remove the write protection on my computer?

Thanks you!

:)

mgreen10, Nov 23, 2019
  2. freebird_9924, Nov 23, 2019
  3. How do you remove USB write protection

Hi!

My name is German, and I am here to help you.

This option applies to disable and clear write protection on an internal or external hard drive, and it also works on SD or USB flash drive. Let's see how to use Diskpart command line fix this issue now:

1. Press "Win + R" > Type: cmd and hit Enter to open "Command Prompt".

2. Type: diskpart and hit Enter to open diskpart.

3. Type: list disk and hit Enter.

Remember the disk number of your write protected USB, SD or hard drive in Windows PC.

4. Type: select disk 0 (0 is the number of your write protected USB/SD/hard drive) and hit Enter.

5. Type: attributes disk clear readonly and hit Enter to disable write protection on the storage device.

6. Close the diskpart window once the write protection removing process is finished.

Any other questions I am at your disposal.

Have a great day!

External USB hard drive is write-protected. How can I remove write protection? e1d46e9e-9776-4c55-b211-e53878c057e9?upload=true.png

GermanAllende, Nov 23, 2019
  4. Grom0X Win User

How to Remove Write-Protection from an OEM USB Drive?

Please look at this Remove Write Protection from USB Drive in Windows 10/8/7

Grom0X, Nov 23, 2019
Thema:

1. External USB hard drive is write-protected. How can I remove write protection? - Similar Threads - External USB hard

2. How to remove write protection on usb

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove write protection on usb: I wanted to install windows 8.1 on a windows 7 computer so I put the iso file on a usb drive and made it bootable but after I tried booting from it it said I had to change it to MBR since it was on GPT but I couldn’t because it said it was write protected. How do I fix this I...
  3. How to remove write protection on usb

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove write protection on usb: I wanted to install windows 8.1 on a windows 7 computer so I put the iso file on a usb drive and made it bootable but after I tried booting from it it said I had to change it to MBR since it was on GPT but I couldn’t because it said it was write protected. How do I fix this I...
  4. How to gain access to write protected external hard drive

How to gain access to write protected external hard drive: I've tried a few methods such as setting permissions and using the command prompt but can't seem to gain permissions for this drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-gain-access-to-write-protected-external/c4b5f849-4b19-4515-8666-ddab71f4a55e
  5. External Hard Drive Write-Protected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Write-Protected: I am trying to use my external hard drive on my Windows 11 machine, but it says it is write-protected now all of a sudden. I tried some of the fixes online uncheck read-only in properties, regedit, diskpart, sfc scan, & chdisk, but they didn't work. Any USB I plug in is also...
  6. External Hard Drive Write-Protected

External Hard Drive Write-Protected: I am trying to use my external hard drive on my Windows 11 machine, but it says it is write-protected now all of a sudden. I tried some of the fixes online uncheck read-only in properties, regedit, diskpart, sfc scan, & chdisk, but they didn't work. Any USB I plug in is also...
  7. Write Protect USB Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Write Protect USB Drive: I need to make some data easily transferable and *tinker proof*. I have a set of 20 GB mostly PDF other Documents. Therefore I would like to put this data on a USB stick and afterward block anyone from editing selected parts. What can I do and how? submitted by...
  8. Hard drive is write protected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive is write protected: How do I remove write protection from by hard drive used for file backups? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-is-write-protected/ec396705-cfcf-42aa-a095-6bfccafbb251
  9. USB Drive is Write Protected. I am unable to remove its Write Protection. Every drive...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Drive is Write Protected. I am unable to remove its Write Protection. Every drive...: Hello all, I recently plugged my USB on my laptop and tried transferring data. It showed me that its Write Protected. I tried ways to remove the protection. Things I have tried and failed are as follows: 1. USB Properties > Sharing > Advanced Sharing > Permissions >...
  10. The Disk Is Write Protected - How To Remove Write Protection

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The Disk Is Write Protected - How To Remove Write Protection: Hi I just join my computer with autopilot and mi HDD of storage don't allow me to write for permission, I try modify permission from properties ->security->advance option and nothing, I try with cmd with the comand diskpart --> attributes disk clear readonly and nothing....