Windows 10: External USB HD causing explorer.exe to not respond, mouse to lag, etc

Discus and support External USB HD causing explorer.exe to not respond, mouse to lag, etc in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, So, I'm new to the forums and appreciate any direction/help that I can get. I searched but did not see another thread that would be better... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jonesy11, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Jonesy11 Win User

External USB HD causing explorer.exe to not respond, mouse to lag, etc

Hi all,

So, I'm new to the forums and appreciate any direction/help that I can get. I searched but did not see another thread that would be better to post this in...

I use a WD My Passport Ultra (1TB) to store live music mp3s on. For many months everything was working just fine: I download the zip file to the external, unzip it using winzip 20 to the folder location desired on the external, and enjoy the music.

A couple of weeks ago the external started to barely load when viewing in explorer.exe (working on it..., not responding). Now, I've noticed that extracting files is taking a LONG time and when I plug in the external my mousepad functionality subsides (can't scroll and it is unresponsive for a few seconds at random times).

I've performed many troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue including WD troubleshooter, chkdsk, etc. and the external passes all tests...

Does anyone have any help they can offer up to help me resolve this?

:)

Jonesy11, Apr 24, 2016
  2. Ivan Si Win User

Mouse lag when laptop is hooked up to an external monitor

I have Asus laptop. I tried to reinstall mouse drivers with no result.

My mouse is lagging on built in display when I have connected external monitor through hdmi. Mouse is lagging only over windows desktop. Mouse is NOT lagging when it is over any window.

I have 4k display (build in), but I am using only full HD resolution. External monitor is only full HD.

EDIT: I find out that even video on that screen is lagging when I move mouse over desktop.

Ivan Si, Apr 24, 2016
  3. Why is my mouse and keyboard lagging

Hi all,

I have been experiencing lag with both my mouse and keyboard since i upgraded to windows 10 awhile back now.

I did think it was the batteries and have replaced with a fresh set in each.

There are no other devices plugged into the USB ports as i initially thought having an external HD was causing the issues as i had read this was causing it.

I'm using a desktop PC. Both the mouse and keyboard are the Microsoft brand.

I've noticed the keyboard lag when typing in chrome/google searches, word documents, Adobe illustrator and even as i type this.

I have noticed the mouse lag while using illustrator, chrome, firefox and other applications.

My graphics drivers, chrome, illustrator etc are all up to date. I had to roll back from the latest windows update because it became worse.

Any help in resolving this issue would be great.

Thanks all.

AdamBecker, Apr 24, 2016
  4. Jonesy11 Win User

Hi,

I posted this in Drivers and Hardware as that would be a better location. Sorry about that - newb move. *Smile

Jonesy11, Apr 24, 2016
Thema:

1. External USB HD causing explorer.exe to not respond, mouse to lag, etc - Similar Threads - External USB causing

2. Mouse lagging and causing continuous beeps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse lagging and causing continuous beeps: My mouse pad has being lagging of late the laptop freezeson it's own and only the mouse point moves Aside that nothing works not even the keyboard . It doesn't move like the normal movement of a its glitches and then the laptop makes a continuous beeping sound like...
  3. Mouse lagging and causing continuous beeps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse lagging and causing continuous beeps: My mouse pad has being lagging of late the laptop freezeson it's own and only the mouse point moves Aside that nothing works not even the keyboard . It doesn't move like the normal movement of a its glitches and then the laptop makes a continuous beeping sound like...
  4. Mouse lagging and causing continuous beeps

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. USB mouse lags

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB mouse lags: My USB mouse lags and freezes....it moves very slowly . I even bought a new one , it was also very slow , there is no issue in mouse but in os.....it works good until i unlock my laptop and then it starts lagging...pls give me a solution....
  6. Specific mouse causes lag in games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Specific mouse causes lag in games: I bought a wired Easterntimes tech gaming mouse a while ago and it worked fine. But recently it's started to cause fps drops in games that I play.The mouse works fine as a normal mouse, and only affects games.A different mouse and the computer's trackpad both work fine. It's...
  7. DVD drive causing "Not Responding" on explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DVD drive causing "Not Responding" on explorer: Whenever I try to put any disk inside drive it causes whole computer explorer.exe most notably to stop responding and forces me to restart using power button. Drive shouldn't be defective as this problem only occurs when using Windows 10 and doesn't have any problems...
  8. USB Flash Drive Causes Mouse lagging/freezing

USB Flash Drive Causes Mouse lagging/freezing: A few months ago, i posted on here about my mouse being all laggy and slow. Well, just now, I found out why. I inserted a flash drive and it started again. I took out the flash drive and it all stopped. I just it with all the flash drives I have. I have about 20. . I used...
  9. Possible Cause for Bluetooth Mouse Lag

Possible Cause for Bluetooth Mouse Lag: I have a Logitech Anywhere 2S mouse connected to my Dell's built-in Bluetooth. Every so often (I can't recall exact frequency, but maybe 5 or 6 times in a 12-hour period), the mouse will become unresponsive for about 10 seconds while I'm using it. I have to move the mouse...
  10. how to remove external usb hd from file explorer?

how to remove external usb hd from file explorer?: I am getting confused on which Hard drive is which when I am in file explorer. When viewing from "This PC>" I can see 14 icons in the right pane, but in left pane I can see duplicates of the hard drives, I am thinking that since the duplicates are External Hard Drives on...
Tags: