Windows 10: External USB HDD and file history

Discus and support External USB HDD and file history in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have been trying to find the way to disconnect my drive after a backup has run. I do not want the drive to be connected all the time but just connect... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by David 63362, Jul 4, 2019.

1. External USB HDD and file history

I have been trying to find the way to disconnect my drive after a backup has run. I do not want the drive to be connected all the time but just connect it a few times a day or when anything major changes. I have noticed that the external drive runs even when there is no activity and I cannot remove the drive using the "eject hardware" task. If I were able to connect and disconnect this drive at will, my backup plans would be complete.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I hope everyone has a safe and sane Fourth of July.

:)

David 63362, Jul 4, 2019

2. File History with 2 external HDDs

I currently do File History with 1 external HDD as everyone else does. I have a spare external HDD that is just gathering dust. I wonder if I could do File History with 2 external HDDs? Will I run into trouble if I did?

The idea is that I could do File History with the 2 external HDDs on alternate days, so if the internal HDD and one external HDD happen to die on the same day (very, very unlikely, I know) I lose just one day of backup at the most.

FrozenCursor, Jul 4, 2019
  3. File History never copies anything

Hi,

Temporary system failure is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. To help resolve the issue, we suggest deleting the files in the USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options.
    • Click Stop using this drive.
    • Delete the File History folder on your external drive.
    • Try again to add the USB drive to backup File History.
    Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Jul 4, 2019
  4. SimonTFO Win User

External USB HDD and file history

File history won't detect external HHD

Hi,

I have an issue regarding Backup using File History.

I have an external HDD connected to my desktop with USB 3.0 that is not detected when I select "Add a drive".

The drive is visible though in file explorer and in device manager. I'm using the external HDD continuously without issues.

But when I'm trying to use it in File History it isn't detected.

I've tried the normal things like udate to latest software and frimware om both my computer and on my external HDD.

I've tried to restart both the computer and the external HHD.

I've tried to swtich to another USB-port, from I/O to USB-jacket.

I've tried to uninstall and reinstall the external HDD.

I've also looked in advanced settings but same issue.

What more is there to try?

Regards,

Simon

SimonTFO, Jul 4, 2019
Thema:

External USB HDD and file history

1. External USB HDD and file history - Similar Threads - External USB HDD

2. external USB HDD with power cord / 6TB / GUID / NTFS - This external USB HDD was in a PC...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external USB HDD with power cord / 6TB / GUID / NTFS - This external USB HDD was in a PC...: Can you help...?===1Have Problem: RAW & 0 bytes --- external HDD with power cord / 6TB / GUID / NTFSThis external USB HDD was in a PC, but when I have it plugin for the first time on other PCs has appeared as: RAW & 0 bytes===2afterapplied from cmd prompt as admin:chkdsk /f...
  3. How to disable the Windows 10 Backup File History into external HDD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable the Windows 10 Backup File History into external HDD?: Dear Sir,I am using Windows 10. And I once used Windows 10 File History Backup to backup C: into an external HDD.However, I found that the backup may not be useful for me and I want to stop the backup.And, I just try to turn off the Windows 10 File History Backup. But the...
  4. How to disable the Windows 10 Backup File History into external HDD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable the Windows 10 Backup File History into external HDD?: Dear Sir,I am using Windows 10. And I once used Windows 10 File History Backup to backup C: into an external HDD.However, I found that the backup may not be useful for me and I want to stop the backup.And, I just try to turn off the Windows 10 File History Backup. But the...
  5. How to disable the Windows 10 Backup File History into external HDD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. deleting file history on external HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    deleting file history on external HDD: Hi there I have backed up all my photos, videos and important documents to an external HDD can I delete the file history on the external HDD without losing everything that I have backed up on there. Many thanks scared to delete...
  7. External HDD/USB.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HDD/USB.: Hello. I have an external HDD docking station connected to my PC thru USB. Devine manager sees it. But Windows explorer does not. Suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hddusb/b0404c2e-056a-4c66-b461-1e5113dc9275
  8. External USB HDD windows file system problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External USB HDD windows file system problem: I have a 2TB (=1.81TB) external USB HDD 'My Passport' on my laptop running latest Windows 10 I format it, and it shows 1.81TB free. I copy over 1.37TB of files in four folders. When the copy finishes, I select all 4 folders, rt-click, properties and it correctly shows...
  9. Using File History on external USB drive.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Using File History on external USB drive.: I have all my docs on a separate drive than my system drive c:, called drive I, and I back up using FileHistory to drive K. I and K are different partitions on a separate but the same secondary hard drive, which is silly seeing that if the actual hardware crashed no files or...
  10. Windows 10 File History won't recognise USB HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 File History won't recognise USB HDD: As usual the "Half a Job is good enough" Loonies at Microsoft have done it again. Their "So Called" Backup using File history does not recognize a HDD connected to your PC by USB. So this "so Called" Life Saving Application is actually as useless as an ashtray on a...