Windows 10: External USB HDD going to sleep mode

Discus and support External USB HDD going to sleep mode in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I don't understand why Microsoft refuses to address this problem in Windows 10. It's an old problem and all the answers from Microsoft are vague and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by TaMarTec, Nov 17, 2018.

1. TaMarTec Win User

External USB HDD going to sleep mode

I don't understand why Microsoft refuses to address this problem in Windows 10.

It's an old problem and all the answers from Microsoft are vague and send us around things that people have already tried and it does not solve the problem. Just look at the blogs of the community.

It's incredible that we have to use some third-party workaround, like "NoSleepHD v2.0" to keep our HDD spinning and don't have to wait for it when trying to access files in explorer.

What is going on with Microsoft? Why do you treat your customers so badly?

The impression that I have is that all the efforts are being direct to force us to use those universal applications, which by the way are horrible and making it hard for us to remove them from our machine and reinstalling when newer versions of the OS comes up.

I don't play games and never used MS game console. So why do you keep forcing it on the OS? It's a mess! The OS should be clean, stable and trustable and not like it is with plenty of things that we didn't ask for and with a lot of problems.

Unfortunately, Microsoft has the monopoly of the OS for PC. That is a reality that we have to live with.

But also a word of advise here. Windows 10's market share is still well behind what the company imagined for it. Why so many people are still using Windows 7 after more than 3 years of Windows 10 release? (Oct.2018 - 52% for Windows 10 and 36.3% for Windows 7. Source http://gs.statcounter.com/os-version-market-share/windows/desktop/worldwide).

I think that Microsoft should do two things:

1. Listen more to its customers and less to their marketing department.
    2. Improve its technical support and correct those reported problems.

The results will show up on future financial data and in the image of the company.

That's all folks!

:)

TaMarTec, Nov 17, 2018

2. Boot from external USB HDD

Hello!

Any laptop should be able to Be booted from an external HDD.

You can check this back accessing your BIOS and then checking if the BIOS gives you an option to boot from USB.

If that option is listed, then you're good to go!

Zackary Vanosdol, Nov 17, 2018
  3. Hannesx Win User
    HDD is not going in to sleep mode.

Well then.........Solved it myself .......or it solved....itself... Luckily, because not exactly too much help came from this place. Noticed it today, maybe it was realated to new graphics driver, program Hddscan, recent update from Microsoft or some
    settings in advanced power management that didn't seem to be conneced to hdd sleeping. Hdd now sleeps after ten minutes even it's set to three minutes.

Hannesx, Nov 17, 2018
  4. External USB HDD going to sleep mode

Quirky behaviour with external HDD

Since you have already checked Device Manager and did not see any errors, we suggest that you manually uninstall the device drivers for your external drives. Doing this will allow the system to install the driver for your external drive automatically and
    correct any error. You can follow the steps below to uninstall the device driver:

• Search for Device Manager via Cortana and hit the
      Enter key.
    • Go to View, and click Show hidden icons.
    • On the Device Manager, check under Universal Serial Bus Controllers (if the drive is connected via USB). The drive should appear as a USB Mass Storage Device.
    • Uninstall the USB Mass Storage Device listed in the Device Manager.
    • Restart your PC.
    • After restarting, allow the default USB Mass Storage Device drivers to be automatically downloaded by windows. Make sure that you are connected to the internet for this process to push through.
    • Reinstall all other drivers from the support website of your External drive.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Nov 17, 2018
Thema:

External USB HDD going to sleep mode

1. External USB HDD going to sleep mode - Similar Threads - External USB HDD

2. External HDD always active; Not going into sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HDD always active; Not going into sleep mode: Hi there! I have a problem with my external 1TB HDD drive. Since I got a new laptop for my oculus quest 2, I decided to store all the games on an external HDD, which is connected over a SATA-USB3 adapter. It works without a problem, but in some games, while im in a room for...
  3. External HDD always active; Not going into sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External HDD always active; Not going into sleep mode: Hi there! I have a problem with my external 1TB HDD drive. Since I got a new laptop for my oculus quest 2, I decided to store all the games on an external HDD, which is connected over a SATA-USB3 adapter. It works without a problem, but in some games, while im in a room for...
  4. External HDD/USB.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HDD/USB.: Hello. I have an external HDD docking station connected to my PC thru USB. Devine manager sees it. But Windows explorer does not. Suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hddusb/b0404c2e-056a-4c66-b461-1e5113dc9275
  5. Defender won't let an external HDD go to sleep

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender won't let an external HDD go to sleep: Hello, Well, the topic title says it all. I recently purchased a Western Digital My Book 8TB and no matter what I couldn't get it to stand by/sleep. I tried everything: messing around with USB power options, indexing, installing dedicated WD software that has a sleep timer -...
  6. Windows Defender won't let external USB HDD go to sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender won't let external USB HDD go to sleep: Hello, Well, the topic title says it all. I recently purchased a Western Digital My Book 8TB and no matter what I couldn't get it to stand by/sleep. I tried everything: messing around with USB power options, indexing, installing dedicated WD software that has a sleep timer -...
  7. Windows Defender won't let external USB HDD go to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Defender won't let external USB HDD go to sleep: Hello, Well, the topic title says it all. I recently purchased a Western Digital My Book 8TB and no matter what I couldn't get it to stand by/sleep. I tried everything: messing around with USB power options, indexing, installing dedicated WD software that has a sleep timer...
  8. USB external HDD keeps going to sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB external HDD keeps going to sleep: I have a ThinkPad X1 6 gen for specs Currently I have a USB external HDD that keeps going to sleep. When I go to power options, there is no options for usb power however looking online I see that there should be. I've tried running some CMD commands I found online to restore...
  9. Going into Sleep mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Going into Sleep mode: Hi all, I recently migrated from a HDD to a SSD in my computer, did install the latest version of Windows 10 than what it was before, and i'm noticing something different with the way it goes to sleep. Originally when i put it to sleep, the computer would go down and the...
  10. How to prevent external HDD from going to sleep?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to prevent external HDD from going to sleep?: I have four external hard disks connected to my laptop either directly or through a USB hub. I have searched the issue that I'm asking about, but I have not found a definitive answer. The most common solution appears to be to use a program to write a small file to each hard...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. salcar hd usb sleep mode

2. externe hdd going to sleep