Windows 10: External USB Keyboard not recognized - Suspect Driver problem

Discus and support External USB Keyboard not recognized - Suspect Driver problem in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a 10 year old Lenovo X220 laptop that I upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro last year. I recently upgraded RAM from 4 to 16 Gig and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by azjd2009, Apr 17, 2019.

1. azjd2009 Win User

External USB Keyboard not recognized - Suspect Driver problem

I have a 10 year old Lenovo X220 laptop that I upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro last year. I recently upgraded RAM from 4 to 16 Gig and replaced the original HD with a Samsung SSD. The SSD migration had no problems and I'm enjoying a much faster boot up and improved performance.

The only problem is my external usb keyboard has stopped working. The internal laptop keyboard and scratch pad work fine. Before the SSD and memory upgrade I was able to plug the external usb keyboard into any usb port on the dock and it worked fine. I've tried plugging the usb keyboard into every usb port on the docking station when docked and on the laptop (undocked) and none of them work with the keyboard. All of the X220 usb ports can read and write to usb thumb drives.

I've tested this same usb keyboard on my desktop and it works fine.

Reading some other X220 forums, I've used the Windows Device Manager to delete the Standard PS/2 Keyboard from the Keyboard folder, and I've deleted and reinstalled all of the USB Hubs and Controllers in the Unversal Serial Bus controllers folder. Still won't recognize the external usb keyboard.

I opened Windows Devices and Printers and I notice that it shows the external usb Lenovo Black Silk Keyboard when I have it plugged into the usb port. It's listed in the unspecified frame as shown on attached screen shot. But the keys on the usb keyboard still don't type. Adding to this madness, this icon goes away when I unplug the keyboard.

As before, this keyboard still works in other PC's and all of the usb ports on the X220 work with other usb devices like memory sticks. When I right click on that unspecified device here are the properties. Note error, device not migrated.

Any help would be appreciated.

External USB Keyboard not recognized - Suspect Driver problem [​IMG]

:)

azjd2009, Apr 17, 2019

2. USB problems

checked all of those suggestions an still no luck. They show as being there and enabled but doesnt recognize anything you plug into them. I got a driver checker as well and it lists the drivers as up to date. could this be a bad motherboard?

tommys2827, Apr 17, 2019
  3. usb not recognized

today my windows 10 stopped recognizing external usb attachment thumb drives. My usb connected keyboard and printer are fine. No usb ports show up in my listings

Mike Lewis55, Apr 17, 2019
  4. External USB Keyboard not recognized - Suspect Driver problem

Keyboard letters problem

Here are the first two steps you need to take:

• Try a different keyboard (or an external USB keyboard in case of a laptop)
    • See if the problem persists with the on-screen keyboard (osk.exe)

Frederik Long, Apr 17, 2019
Thema:

External USB Keyboard not recognized - Suspect Driver problem

1. External USB Keyboard not recognized - Suspect Driver problem - Similar Threads - External USB Keyboard

2. External keyboard and mouse is not recognized by a USB port but the USB port recognizes a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External keyboard and mouse is not recognized by a USB port but the USB port recognizes a...: So I have this legion 5 pro laptop and as what the title says, one of the usb port at the back is not recognizing my external keyboard or mouse.It started around January and got it fixed by then. Lenovo replaced the motherboard which fixed the problem. They think it was bad...
  3. External keyboard and mouse is not recognized by a USB port but the USB port recognizes a...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External keyboard and mouse is not recognized by a USB port but the USB port recognizes a...: So I have this legion 5 pro laptop and as what the title says, one of the usb port at the back is not recognizing my external keyboard or mouse.It started around January and got it fixed by then. Lenovo replaced the motherboard which fixed the problem. They think it was bad...
  4. Windows 11 - USB ports suddenly not recognizing external keyboard and mouse

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - USB ports suddenly not recognizing external keyboard and mouse: I have a one-handed keyboard and a mouse for gaming, both connected by USB, both are plug-in-and-use devices with no additional drivers or anything that need installing. I updated to windows 11 about a month ago, I have used the mouse and keyboard without issue after the...
  5. Windows 11 - USB ports suddenly not recognizing external keyboard and mouse

Windows 11 - USB ports suddenly not recognizing external keyboard and mouse: I have a one-handed keyboard and a mouse for gaming, both connected by USB, both are plug-in-and-use devices with no additional drivers or anything that need installing. I updated to windows 11 about a month ago, I have used the mouse and keyboard without issue after the...
  6. USB not recognized problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB not recognized problem: My computer sent me a notification about two days ago stating that a USB was not recognized. However, even after plugging out every single cord from my computer and restarting it multiple times it still is sending me the same message. So, I dismissed it and it is now playing...
  7. USB not recognized problem

USB not recognized problem: My computer sent me a notification about two days ago stating that a USB was not recognized. However, even after plugging out every single cord from my computer and restarting it multiple times it still is sending me the same message. So, I dismissed it and it is now playing...
  8. External USB Bluetooth and Driver Problem.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External USB Bluetooth and Driver Problem.: I get the following message when I set up my external USB bluetooth and driver: Device USB\VID_0BDA&PID_8771\00E04C239987 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match. Last Device Instance Id: USB\VID_091E&PID_0B89\5&14e58fb7&0&2 Class Guid:...
  9. External usb Mouse being recognized as keyboard, suddenly.

External usb Mouse being recognized as keyboard, suddenly.: [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]My external usb mouse has stopped working suddenly, even after reinstalling all the drivers again the issue has appeared for the 2nd time. All recent updates are uninstalled, still the issue is persisting. The mouse is working completely fine with...
  10. Keyboard not working / USB not recognized

Keyboard not working / USB not recognized: I'm using a Surface Book 2 with Windows 10 Pro. The keyboard and touchpad stopped working today, and every few seconds an error message pops up saying "USB device not recognised. The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognise...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. external keyboard driver problem