Windows 10: External usb portable Hard Drives 500 Gb, Not recognised on plug in.

Discus and support External usb portable Hard Drives 500 Gb, Not recognised on plug in. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Has not been used for 6 years. Buffalo mini-station and Western Digital. Windows says all drivers are the most recent. Being aged there are some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by IanMcKay6, Jul 23, 2020.

1. IanMcKay6 Win User

External usb portable Hard Drives 500 Gb, Not recognised on plug in.

Has not been used for 6 years. Buffalo mini-station and Western Digital. Windows says all drivers are the most recent.

Being aged there are some terms bandied around online regarding this type of issue which exceed my level of competence updating chipsets, migrating, stuff to name a couple of things. Basically I retired 6 years ago and thought why not see what I was doing 6 + years ago. Below is the steps I have taken.

1/ Plug in portable Drive Green light comes on and I can hear disc whirring

2/ Click File Explorer Not recognizing portable drive

2/ Search and open Device manager and double click portable devices and this comes up 000eSMS/MMS, Android TV remote, MAP MAS-iOS, MAP SMS/MMS, Wireless iAP.

3/ Scratch Head Nope, nothing came to mind

4/ Still in Device manager clicked Disk Drives Hmmm WDC WD50 00BEVT-22ZAT0 USB Device

5/ It's the Buffalo that is plugged in but hey ho maybe when the Western one was in it may have found something

6/ Double clicked on the device. Under General, This device is working properly, Volumes, No entries, Driver, Driver date 21/06/2006on checking for updated driver I get the message this is the latest driver for the product. Events, Device not Migrated, Device configured dsk.inf

Device USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_WDC_WD50&Prod_00BEVT-22ZAT0&Rev_\FDC0FD500000000FD0FFF409F3A476&0 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

INFORMATION Panel shows
    Last Device Instance Id: USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_General&Prod_USB_Flash_Disk&Rev_1100\7510080000117215&0
    Class Guid: {4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    Location Path:
    Migration Rank: 0xF000FC000000F120
    Present: false

7/ Search internet for "not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match" This is where I start seeing things like chipsets etc where my personal competence takes on a reality check- Do I follow some of these solutions and possibly put myself in predicament I can't get out of. Do I just forget about these drives. Do I format these disks?Maybe I could contact people who know about these things instead.

Well here I am folks I still have one or two brain cells active.

Hope you can help

Ian

:)

IanMcKay6, Jul 23, 2020
  2. IanMcKay6 Win User

(Has not been used for 6 years). Buffalo mini-station and Western Digital. Windows says all drivers are the most recent.

Being aged there are some terms bandied around online regarding this type of issue which exceed my level of competence (updating chipsets, migrating, stuff to name a couple of things. Basically I retired 6 years ago and thought why not see what I was doing
    6 + years ago. Below is the steps I have taken.

1/ Plug in portable Drive (Green light comes on and I can hear disc whirring)

2/ Click File Explorer (Not recognizing portable drive)

2/ Search and open Device manager and double click portable devices and this comes up 000eSMS/MMS, Android TV remote, MAP MAS-iOS, MAP SMS/MMS, Wireless iAP.

3/ Scratch Head (Nope, nothing came to mind)

4/ Still in Device manager clicked Disk Drives (Hmmm WDC WD50 00BEVT-22ZAT0 USB Device

5/ It's the Buffalo that is plugged in but hey ho maybe when the Western one was in it may have found something

6/ Double clicked on the device. Under General, This device is working properly, Volumes, No entries, Driver, Driver date 21/06/2006
    on checking for updated driver I get the message this is the latest driver for the product. Events, Device not Migrated, Device configured (dsk.inf)

Device USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_WDC_WD50&Prod_00BEVT-22ZAT0&Rev_\FDC0FD500000000FD0FFF409F3A476&0 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

INFORMATION Panel shows

Last Device Instance Id: USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_General&Prod_USB_Flash_Disk&Rev_1100\7510080000117215&0

Class Guid: {4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

Location Path:

Migration Rank: 0xF000FC000000F120

Present: false

7/ Search internet for "not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match" This is where I start seeing things like chipsets etc where my personal competence takes on a reality check- Do I follow some of these solutions and possibly put myself
    in predicament I can't get out of. Do I just forget about these drives. Do I format these disks?
    Maybe I could contact people who know about these things instead.

Well here I am folks I still have one or two brain cells active.

Hope you can help

Ian

IanMcKay6, Aug 1, 2020
  3. Windows update not recognising my external hard drive

I have an external hard drive permenently plugged in to my laptop, yet the windows update needs more space but will not recognise it. On my Disk management it is listed as 'expansion drive G'. It has 475 GB free.

Darrencooksey, Aug 1, 2020
  4. twynog Win User

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Aug 1, 2020
Thema:

1. External usb portable Hard Drives 500 Gb, Not recognised on plug in. - Similar Threads - External usb portable

2. external hard drives not recognised

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hard drives not recognised: A problem has recently shown up. I have a lot of data archived on Seagate external hard drives. Recently, every single one has failed to show up and be accessible in This PC. They appear in Device Manager where they are each described as "Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk...
  3. External hard drive not recognised

External hard drive not recognised: Hi Purchased a new H-D for my Dell A Seagate Barrcuda. Did a clean install to the new drive. at the same time I put the old drive in a brand new external enclosure with the intention of copying the files over. The "new" installation cannot access the USB drive, even though...
  4. 500 GB Toshiba External Hard Drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    500 GB Toshiba External Hard Drive.: Hi can anyone please help. Recently purchased the above unit, and it worked 100%, recently tried to backup my new computer [Windows 10 -Lenovo} and I now find, that my ex.hardrive only shows - 35 gb of free space it should be showing 465 gb ??????? .Please help/advise....
  5. portable hard drive to USB

portable hard drive to USB: I have a portable hard drive and I am using a USB sync and charge cable. It lights up and flashes but doesn't show in File Explorer. It shows in Devices and printers but can't access it. Tried each USB port and on 2 laptops. Any advice please...
  6. External Hard Drive not recognised

External Hard Drive not recognised: I have a brand new micrsoft surface and I cannot for the life of me get it to recognise my external hard drive. I read a similar post which required an input of a drive letter which seemed like what i needed to do, however i cannot click on the "change drive letter and...
  7. USB Hard Drives Not Recognised

USB Hard Drives Not Recognised: I have a USB hard drive plugged into a Win10 laptop, that I'm accessing on a Win7 machine via a wireless network. It kept dropping out for a couple of seconds here or there, then went completely dead. Turns out it's an issue with the laptop, not with the network, because it...
  8. USB Hard Drives Not Recognised

in Windows 10 Support
    USB Hard Drives Not Recognised: I have a USB hard drive plugged into a Win10 laptop, that I'm accessing on a Win7 machine via a wireless network. It kept dropping out for a couple of seconds here or there, then went completely dead. Turns out it's an issue with the laptop, not with the network, because it...
  9. Recommendations On: PORTABLE EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES

Recommendations On: PORTABLE EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES: Ello Folks! Looking to get the Portable Hard-drive thats right for me. I want to mainly keep documents on this and some other stuff. Like pictures but not a ton. Mainly documents in PDF format. I want this mainly to keep all my licensing and regulatory stuff all in one...
  10. External hard drive not recognised

External hard drive not recognised: Problem: I have two external hard drives that I have been using for backups etc. on my desktop running Windows 10 Home. I connected the external drives to my HP Laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 to copy some files andit has changed the ownership to the external...