Windows 10: External WD hard drive doesn't show in My Computer or Disk Management

Discus and support External WD hard drive doesn't show in My Computer or Disk Management in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; [Windows 10 ver 1909 18363.1256] Hello everyone. I plugged my Western Digital Elements 2TB yesterday (the first time in months) to find that it did... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by molexroots, Jan 27, 2021.

1. External WD hard drive doesn't show in My Computer or Disk Management

[Windows 10 ver 1909 18363.1256]

Hello everyone.

I plugged my Western Digital Elements 2TB yesterday (the first time in months) to find that it did not show in My Computer. I took it out and reconnected the device, no luck. It doesn't show in Disk Management either. The only place I can see it is in Device Manager where it shows a status code of 28.

External WD hard drive doesn't show in My Computer or Disk Management [​IMG]

Here's what I've found out so far:
    - Works in another computer
    - It has power (it's vibrating)
    - Doesn't show in Disk Management
    - Doesn't show in My Computer
    - Only shows in Device Manager under 'Other' with the problem status code 28 - missing driver

and what I've done:
    - Turned laptop off and on again (!)
    - Using another USB port
    - Using another cable
    - Update drivers didn't work (none found)
    - Windows Update
    - Cleared connected USB history
    - Ran SFC (no errors)
    - Ran DISM (no corruption)
    - Removed device from Device Manager
    - Forced using another driver
    - Removed USB Mass Storage device
    - Removed USB Root Hub devices

If anyone has any suggestions left to try, I'd love to hear them. I'd really rather not do a new install of Windows.

:)

molexroots, Jan 27, 2021
  2. seejp Win User

external hard drive showing up in device management but not disk management

Hi,

I recently tried to use a brand new Seagate 2TB External HD, but it is not showing up. It initially showed up, but after I tried reformatting it to exFAT32, it disappeared from the disk management list.

I then tried:

• refreshing the disk management list,
    • inserting into a different USB port,
    • re-starting my computer, and
    • uninstalling the device from device manager/letting it refresh,

I still can't see it. There is no yellow error in the USB controller list.

I'm on Windows 10.

Intel i5-3317U @ 1.7GHz

Any suggestions? Thanks!

seejp, Jan 27, 2021
  3. noah4ever Win User
    My WD Passport (Hard Drive) is not showing. Not even in Disk Management. What to do?

[Go to my last reply to see my solution, may not suit for others though]

I'm using a WD Passport Ultra 1TB external hard drive as the back-up device for my computer, and it worked perfectly for the last few months.

Today, when I was trying to do a back-up, I connected this device to my computer, but it was not showing up. I can see the device as a large USB storage device in the device manager. I have tried to uninstall it and reconnect it. I have tried to reboot my
    computer for many times. I have also tried some solutions via regedit.

But it's still not showing in My Computer, not in Disk Management. I tried the
    diskpart command as well, not showing in the disk list.

I haven't check the BIOS yet.

However, it is working simultaneously with my other computer (running windows 10 as well). I can open it, edit files in Explorer, and change the letter of the disk with Disk Management. I've used some WD troubleshooting tools to run tests on the device,
    and they got passed. So when I contact the WD Support, they suggested that there is more likely to be something wrong with my primary computer.

I remembered that I had experienced this before, and it was resolved by trying to assign a letter to the disk, but this time since it's not showing in the Disk Management, I can't solve it in the same way. I also tried to use other softwares like MiniTool
    Partition Wizard to assign a letter to the disk, these third party softwares can detect and display my disk in the list, but failed to assign a letter again.

I have tried to run some test with my computer, but couldn't detect any error. And it can detect other USB devices of course.

So please, if you have any solution, help me!

noah4ever, Jan 27, 2021
  4. External WD hard drive doesn't show in My Computer or Disk Management

WD External Hard Drive problem

Okay, I'm having a helluva time with this one... I have two external Western Digital hard drives. Both are 250GB each. However, after looking up the model numbers, one is IDE and the other is SATA. IDE is WD2500JB and SATA is WD2500JD. Now, here's the problem. I plug the WD2500JD in using the USB and power cables as you normally would and it fires up just fine. I plug the WD2500JB in and it shows it's being recognized blah blah blah. Well, it doesn't show up in My Computer. At all. But, it does show up in Device Manager and Admin Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management. I just reformatted Windows (about 5 times now actually) because I upgraded my computer and reformatting is usually the best way to go there. Well, I backed up all my data onto the NOW non-working drive and for the life of me, I can't access it. In the Disk Management area it says: Disk 1 Basic 232.88GB Online and next to that in the little bar it says 232.88GB Unallocated. Some of the trouble shooting steps I've already attempted:

Replaces both the USB and power cords
    Plugged it into all USB ports
    Took the drive out of the case and hooked it up inside the computer

Needless to say, I still have no access to the drive and kind of need it. If anyone has any other suggestions or a way I can at least access the data on the drive, it would be greatly appreciated. And the sooner the better as it's all time-sensitive data. TIA

BTW, for those that need system specs:

OLD SYSTEM:
    MSI K8N Neo-4 mobo
    AMD Athlon 3700+ proc
    Rosewill 500W Modular PSU
    1GB OCZ Platinum Series @ 2-2-2-5
    Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 (modded to X850XTPE through BIOS)
    Sony DVD-RW/CD-RW combo drive
    WD SATA 250GB Internal
    2 x WD External 250GB MyBook

NEW SYSTEM:
    DFI Infinity SLI-M2/G mobo
    AMD Athlon X2 5200+
    Mushkin XP-650 650W Modular PSU
    2GB GEIL PC-6400 @ 4-4-4-12
    Everything else the same, except down one external

Misery In Death, Jan 27, 2021
Thema:

External WD hard drive doesn't show in My Computer or Disk Management

1. External WD hard drive doesn't show in My Computer or Disk Management - Similar Threads - External hard drive

2. My external hard drive isnt showing in file explorer but is showing in disk management

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My external hard drive isnt showing in file explorer but is showing in disk management: I'm not sure what to do as ive plugged it into multiple different usb ports https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-external-hard-drive-isnt-showing-in-file/d81bde63-e907-4d6a-9d90-ac03525678f5
  3. My external hard drive isnt showing in file explorer but is showing in disk management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My external hard drive isnt showing in file explorer but is showing in disk management: I'm not sure what to do as ive plugged it into multiple different usb ports https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-external-hard-drive-isnt-showing-in-file/d81bde63-e907-4d6a-9d90-ac03525678f5
  4. My external hard drive isnt showing in file explorer but is showing in disk management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My WD external hard drive stopped showing in my laptop....

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My WD external hard drive stopped showing in my laptop....: I was transferring a large no of data from my external hard drive to another external hard drive...and when I transfer, some large files cannot be copied and it said, can't access the files.I had to go inside that folder and transfer the small files one by one..@ some points...
  6. external hard drive not showing in my computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hard drive not showing in my computer: My seagate hard drive is not showing in my computer,also light on hard drive is not blinking. But it is showing in devices and printers. When I try to safely remove it nothing happens ,and after removing the hard drive, pop up comes "problem ejecting usb attached SCSIUAS mass...
  7. My External Hard Drive Is Showing Up In Disk Management But Not Present (Migrated)

My External Hard Drive Is Showing Up In Disk Management But Not Present (Migrated): [ATTACH] [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH] Hello All, Thank you in advance for your support. I have had this 1TB IOmega HDD for like 10 years. It worked just fine until about 2016. I had recently moved and didn't really need it so it just kind of hung around the house...
  8. My computer does not recognize my WD external hard drive

My computer does not recognize my WD external hard drive: My computer does not recognize my WD external hard drive. I've tried to go into Disk Management and I cannot find anything that helps. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-does-not-recognize-my-wd-external-hard/aa33b279-5a52-46cb-b976-51aed92b90c1
  9. WD My Passport external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WD My Passport external hard drive: I am CONSTANTLY prompted to Re-Connect my Backup harddrive bc some files did not backup. I try to look at files but cant open and the files are tiny. SHOULD I BE WORRIED ABOUT TROJAN FILES ? Are they old orphan files from some uninstalled app. I KNOW, a list of files and...
  10. Hard drive not showing in "my computer" or "Disk Managment" help?

Hard drive not showing in "my computer" or "Disk Managment" help?: My hard drive not showing in "my computer" or "Disk Management" but is showing under device manager. I got the hard drive from a friend and his dad had put a Password encryption on it. Any Ideas? 60253

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nu vot