Windows 10: Extra characters when typing

Discus and support Extra characters when typing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I type a word in a text app like Mail, every word is preceded with an extra character, usually a lower case m. 144560 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Fred99, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Fred99 Win User

Extra characters when typing

When I type a word in a text app like Mail, every word is preceded with an extra character, usually a lower case m.

:)

Fred99, Nov 16, 2019
  2. tracy2016 Win User

Where can I get the candidate characters while typing in traditional characters?

I am trying to type in Traditional Chinese, but the candidate list does not show at all!

It is impossible to type two keys as you suggested. Is there any way I could type in traditional characters as I do in simplified characters?

Can you help me solve this problem? Many thanks.

tracy2016, Nov 16, 2019
  3. JohnHaber Win User
    Extra characters in dictionary app

I have a program I've been using a long time, through various versions of Windows (but not Windows 8, which I never used). It's Random House Webster's Unabridged Dictionary (much faster and more easily searchable or browsable than online dictionaries).

In installing it on my new computer, with Windows 10, the menu bar looks fine, my word entry in the top search bar looks fine, and the word list in response in a left-hand column looks fine. However, in the main screen, with dictionary entries and definitions,
    many such show extra characters. It's always the same extra characters: a ligature of a capital A and E. If I'm not mistaken, it also shows only when an entry is two words (such as "Ferris wheel"). The extra characters then appear twice, although, oddly enough,
    not in a consistent position such as surrounding the word space or at the end of words.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, after living with it for a couple of weeks. No use. Any ideas? It can't depend on a truly bizarre font, I imagine, as it's an old and thus not so sophisticated program and always used to work.

JohnHaber, Nov 16, 2019
  4. Extra characters when typing

search windows box next to start only allows 2 or 3 characters to be typed

Hi,

To isolate your concern regarding search box, kindly answer the following questions:

• Are you getting any results even you can only type 2-3 characters?
    • Is the Search suggestions working?
    • What happen when you exceeded 3 characters?
    Looking forward to your reply.

Regards.

Robelene Win, Nov 16, 2019
Thema:

Extra characters when typing

1. Extra characters when typing - Similar Threads - Extra characters typing

2. Missing Characters When Typing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Missing Characters When Typing: Has anyone else ever had this happen to them? Recently, when I've been typing in Microsoft Edge, JAWS seems to think there's missing letters. Is JAWS on the fritz? Or is it my keyboard that's acting strange? As far as I know, this doesn't happen in any other applications....
  3. Missing Characters When Typing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing Characters When Typing: Has anyone else ever had this happen to them? Recently, when I've been typing in Microsoft Edge, JAWS seems to think there's missing letters. Is JAWS on the fritz? Or is it my keyboard that's acting strange? As far as I know, this doesn't happen in any other applications....
  4. Missing Characters When Typing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Typing cursor moves to the left of the character when typing W11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Typing cursor moves to the left of the character when typing W11: Hello,I have a strange behavior since a month or so, when typing the r&R letter, the typing cursor moves to its left, making it impossible to write when using this laptop. I'm facing this issue only when using external keyboards. Furthermore, I have tried unplugging,...
  6. Typing cursor moves to the left of the character when typing W11

Typing cursor moves to the left of the character when typing W11: Hello,I have a strange behavior since a month or so, when typing the r&R letter, the typing cursor moves to its left, making it impossible to write when using this laptop. I'm facing this issue only when using external keyboards. Furthermore, I have tried unplugging,...
  7. typing special characters

typing special characters: I've searched everywhere for an answer to this - it's actually a 2-part question. - I know that with a numeric keypad you can type the guillemet symbol via alt+124/125, but on a laptop pc with no numeric keypad is there a way to type it without always copying and pasting? I...
  8. typing special characters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    typing special characters: I've searched everywhere for an answer to this - it's actually a 2-part question. - I know that with a numeric keypad you can type the guillemet symbol via alt+124/125, but on a laptop pc with no numeric keypad is there a way to type it without always copying and pasting? I...
  9. Type a Unicode Character

in Windows 10 Support
    Type a Unicode Character: Hello, I am using Win 10 version 2004 and build 19041.388. If I try to enter a Unicode character via the method Alt + <hex number>, then I do get a character but it is the wrong one. For example if I enter 2212 it give a 'n' with a squiggle on top whereas it should return...
  10. Typing characters issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Typing characters issue: Why does my laptop keyboard type different characters than what is intended? It only does it occasionally like tpis. <---example: p for h Rigpt now I'm using Cprome. I go to MS Edge and it is fine. I go to MS Excel, Word, it is normal. I pave to close everytping and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows when typing extra characters