Windows 10: Extra folders after upgrade

Discus and support Extra folders after upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; On 3/12/2019 I allowed Microsoft Update to install Windows 10 Pro Version 1809 OS build 17763.379. it created a new folder "Windows.old" with various... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JohnAllen_Over_75, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Extra folders after upgrade

On 3/12/2019 I allowed Microsoft Update to install Windows 10 Pro Version 1809 OS build 17763.379. it created a new folder "Windows.old" with various sub folders total size 6.3 G.

Question: Is this folder going to be part of my system forever? Can I get rid of it?

:)

JohnAllen_Over_75, Mar 22, 2019
  2. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

3. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Mar 22, 2019
  4. topgundcp Win User

Extra folders after upgrade

Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Mar 22, 2019
Thema:

Extra folders after upgrade

1. Extra folders after upgrade - Similar Threads - Extra folders upgrade

2. Extra folders in File Explorer - how to delete

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Extra folders in File Explorer - how to delete: I one had I-Cloud Photos on installed my computer but have uninstalled months ago. The I-Cloud Photos folders remain on the left side of my File Explorer window, as shown on the attached graphic. The graphic also shows the error message I get whenever I click on an I-Cloud...
  3. C drive extra folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    C drive extra folder: Actually ...i dont know what happen but when i open my c drive i saw too many extra folders like $sysreset ,Oem, intel, program data ,recovery and all they are little dull in colour faded .so can anyone tell me is it safe to delete these folders .or what happen to my system...
  4. Extra Recovery Partition appeared after upgrade Win 10 October

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Extra Recovery Partition appeared after upgrade Win 10 October: After and upgrade from MS in October I noticed my computer was becoming sluggish and a number of documents in files had disappeared. I save all documents on external "F" Drive. After upgrade, my "F" symbol was changed to "G", and now my external drive is "G". I didn't...
  5. Extra Recovery Partition appeared after upgrade Win 10 October

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Extra Recovery Partition appeared after upgrade Win 10 October: After and upgrade from MS in October I noticed my computer was becoming sluggish and a number of documents in files had disappeared. I save all documents on external "F" Drive. After upgrade, my "F" symbol was changed to "G", and now my external drive is "G". I didn't...
  6. Extra partitions after SSD boot drive upgrade

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Extra partitions after SSD boot drive upgrade: I upgraded my SSD boot drive from a 128GB to Samsung 850 Pro 256GB. I used the Samsung Migration Tool as instructed. Now I seem to have an new FAT32 100MB partition, a new OTHER 16MB partition, a missing OTHER 128MB partition and a non functioning and I believe much smaller...
  7. Delete extra recovery partition, folder, and marker?

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete extra recovery partition, folder, and marker?: I have a system that started life with a fresh Windows 10 64-bit preview build installed on a blank drive with only one partition. This was later upgraded (using the "not keep any data" option) to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit release. The system drive now has a "Recovery" folder in...
  8. Folders missing after upgrade to 1511

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders missing after upgrade to 1511: Hello, Windows 10 on my PC last night upgraded itself to 1511. This morning, I noticed that when I open File Explorer that under "My PC" the folders and files in "Documents" have all disappeared. However, the files are still there and I can retrieve individual files by...
  9. Creators update and extra folders.

Creators update and extra folders.: As I did not get any indication of update in windows update section, I updated from Download Windows 10 . Every thing went ok. I tried cleaning extra folders and system with following commands. %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:35 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:35...
  10. Leftover Folder after Creator upgrade

Leftover Folder after Creator upgrade: Disk cleanup did remove \Windows Old, but there is another folder. Running Pro and the folder is C:\windows10upgrade Does anyone else have this and what to do with it ? Only has 19 mb in it. Tnx 86200