Windows 10: Extra partitions after SSD boot drive upgrade

Discus and support Extra partitions after SSD boot drive upgrade in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I upgraded my SSD boot drive from a 128GB to Samsung 850 Pro 256GB. I used the Samsung Migration Tool as instructed. Now I seem to have an new FAT32... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JayceeM, Mar 3, 2017.

1. JayceeM Win User

Extra partitions after SSD boot drive upgrade

I upgraded my SSD boot drive from a 128GB to Samsung 850 Pro 256GB. I used the Samsung Migration Tool as instructed. Now I seem to have an new FAT32 100MB partition, a new OTHER 16MB partition, a missing OTHER 128MB partition and a non functioning and I believe much smaller RECOVERY 450MB partition. Everything works except I can no longer reset Windows "internally". I have to use the ISO from the Windows Media Creation Tool.

Attached is a screen cap from Minitool. Can some of these new partitions be deleted? Is it possible to fix the recovery partition?

Thanks

Extra partitions after SSD boot drive upgrade [​IMG]

:)

JayceeM, Mar 3, 2017
  2. slowrower Win User

When upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, update fails and I get 80070002-20009 error

So far, I am very happy my upgrade failed and had it succeeded, a number of my apps would no longer work.

With regards to upgrading Windows 8.1 to 10, what I found was making a clone of a drive somehow leaves off some critical info which in my case were the addition of 2 empty partitions for who knows why were created as they are not used. I cloned my traditional
    system drive to an SSD and it mirrored the system drive. It would boot just fine in Windows 8.1 (after unplugging the original system master, then connecting it back after the first successful boot of the SSD). The configuration of the extra partitions do
    not match what a fresh install of Windows 8.1 on a blank unpartitioned disk would. I found this by purchasing the upgrade from Microsoft and using it to install a clean copy on a disk with no partitions.

I also used the free upgrade to upgrade a Windows 8.1 VM on my MAC which has an SSD and it worked fine.

slowrower, Mar 3, 2017
  3. Frcraig Win User
    Two System Reserve Partitions

I have two hard drives on my computer, an SSD with my operating system (Windows 8.1 which I just successfully upgraded to Windows 10) and an hdd for additional storage. After upgrading to Windows 10 I noticed that I now have two System Reserve Partitions.
    One partition is on the SSD and the other is on the hdd. Both contain bootmgr and similar files. The files on the hdd have newer file modified/created dates than those on the ssd System Reserve partition. If I set my BIOS to boot from the SSD I get the
    blue screen message "no bcd found". If I set the BIOS to boot from the hdd it takes over a minute, but Windows 10 boots fine.

I'm guessing that the System Reserve partition on the hdd (storage hard drive) contains the boot files for Windows 10, but Windows 10 is not installed on that drive, it is installed on the SSD (which I think has the old Windows 8.1 boot files on its own
    System Reserve partition).

I've given the two System Reserve partitions drive letters so that I can see the contents of the drives. Can I simply copy the contents of the newer System Reserve partition onto the older System Reserve partition so that Windows 10 will boot from the same
    SSD that it is installed on?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Craig

Frcraig, Mar 3, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, Windows creates several partitions. Yours are typical of UEFI boot. The 450Mb Recovery supports automatic recovery and advanced troubleshooting. The 16Mb System partition is needed for your PC to boot.

Sure, you can delete them. And you could have a bricked PC.

By the way, make sure you have at least 500Mb unallocated space on C: for the next upgrade or in-place upgrade repair install.

A little research suggests this for reference: (should be 'introduction to', of course).
    An Introduction of UEFI Secure Boot and Disk Partitions in Windows 10

dalchina, Mar 3, 2017
  5. JayceeM Win User
    Thanks. Do you know why I suddenly have a FAT32 partition? None of my other machines have one and this machine didn't have one before the upgrade. And any idea why the 450Mb Recovery that supports automatic recovery and advanced troubleshooting isn't working? For any of those options I have to use the ISO from Windows Media Creation Tool.

JayceeM, Mar 3, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I don't know anything about that migration tool, and can't imagine how the partitions could have suddenly appeared if they weren't on your original disk.

Can you confirm that SHIFT left click Restart does not offer you a somewhat complex sequence of options via a choice of boot options to the Advance Troubleshooting menus? If the 450Mb Recovery partition isn't present or is inaccessible you will only see one option. What do you see?

You may have luck if you get Macrium Reflect's boot disk and try the repair feature. That attempts to fix issues with the boot record, however I can't say for sure it would fix issues with an inaccessible recovery partition.
    Fixing Windows boot problems - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

One way to do that would be to
    a. Create a disk image of your windows partition
    b. Wipe the disk and install Win 10
    c. replace the Windows partition by restoring the disk image
    d. run startup repair.

There may be some other way...

The 100 Mb partition is normal for a UEFI system, not for legacy BIOS. Is yours UEFI? Or in fact is it legacy BIOS, but somehow you've ended up with the wrong partition structure?
    (See article in previous post)

dalchina, Mar 3, 2017
  7. topgundcp Win User
    Incorrect info.

The 100MB EFI (FAT32) system partition is needed,containing Boot code/BCD, without it PC won't boot.

On every GPT disk there's an MSR (Microsoft Reserved partition) partition. For Windows 10 it is 16MB unformatted
    For Data disk it is 128MB MSR unformatted partition.

The MSR partition is hidden from disk management but will display using diskpart command.

To get into Recovery environment, as stated above, try: SHIFT+Restart. If it does not work, Open Admin command prompt and type:
    reagentc /info
    and post the result

topgundcp, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Extra partitions after SSD boot drive upgrade - Similar Threads - Extra partitions SSD

2. Upgrading W10 Pro 1909 to 20H2 creates an extra partition on my SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading W10 Pro 1909 to 20H2 creates an extra partition on my SSD: Just upgraded my ThinkPad T450s from 1909 to Windows 10 Pro 20H2 (OS Build 19042.928) allowing Windows to do its own thing through Windows Update - no major problems, just typical niggles. However, I seem to have an extra partition on my 1 TB Crucial SSD I've created images...
  3. Windows 10 not booting after SSD upgrade (other drive)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 not booting after SSD upgrade (other drive): My PC had a 128GB SSD which contained a linux installation. I also had a 1TB HDD installed that contains my Windows 10 LTSC installation. I ran out of space on my linux SSD so I bought a 1TB SSD to replace this. My problem is that when I remove my linux SSD and replace it...
  4. Extra partitions

Extra partitions: I have upgraded Windows 10 multiple times from previous builds to current 1903. I see multiple hidden partitions have been created over the upgrades, and read that most of these are Recovery partitions. I know the first 450 MB one is the one created during the first...
  5. Extra Recovery Partition appeared after upgrade Win 10 October

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Extra Recovery Partition appeared after upgrade Win 10 October: After and upgrade from MS in October I noticed my computer was becoming sluggish and a number of documents in files had disappeared. I save all documents on external "F" Drive. After upgrade, my "F" symbol was changed to "G", and now my external drive is "G". I didn't...
  6. Extra Recovery Partition appeared after upgrade Win 10 October

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Extra Recovery Partition appeared after upgrade Win 10 October: After and upgrade from MS in October I noticed my computer was becoming sluggish and a number of documents in files had disappeared. I save all documents on external "F" Drive. After upgrade, my "F" symbol was changed to "G", and now my external drive is "G". I didn't...
  7. Extra drive (partition) after update 1803

Extra drive (partition) after update 1803: So I updated to 1803 today, and afterwards I suddenly have an extra 'Local Disk D:'. When I click on it, there is nothing in there, but Windows keeps nagging me it is full and I need to clean it. But the cleaning app does not find anything either on the drive. I restarted...
  8. Extra Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Extra Partition: I think I have an extra partition. Can I remove it? [img] The 500MB is the recovery partition from my Win 10 UPGRADE install, BUT now it's marked as a primary partition. Because I reinstalled Win 10 through Windows, not clean install, and got the 450MB partition which...
  9. Extra partitions

Extra partitions: In ADMIN TOOLS|COMPUTER MGMT|DISK MGMT the following are listed... C: 952 GB "healthy recovery partition" 450 MB (the box is shaded) "healthy recovery partition" 449 MB D: 909 GB How can I get rid of the recovery partitions (or at least one, if the other is...
  10. Help with partitions after SSD upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Help with partitions after SSD upgrade: After a clean install of win10, I installed a new SSD on my desktop PC by using macrium reflect to clone the HDD onto the SDD. The computer now boots from the SSD properly, and I use the HDD as a data drive and the default location for libraries (documents, music, pics etc)....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. extra partitions after upgrading windows 8.1 to windows 10

2. ssd extra partition