Windows 10: extract and preserve folders and pathways?

Discus and support extract and preserve folders and pathways? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I do not have windows 10 (yet) so I can't test this out. I developed software that needs to be extracted. The folder that is extracted has another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sciencegal, Oct 19, 2015.

1. extract and preserve folders and pathways?

I do not have windows 10 (yet) so I can't test this out. I developed software that needs to be extracted. The folder that is extracted has another folder in it along with a Flash player. The Flash player needs to remain in the folder along with the folder containing the files because of the way the pathways are structured. My customers are having trouble because if they choose extract all the files are all extracted separately. The folder structure is not preserved. How can I give instructions on what appears to be compressed folder options so that the folder structure is preserved. I can see from looking at tutorials that there are options for extracting, but I do know what those options are. Thanks in advance.

:)

sciencegal, Oct 19, 2015

2. How to import .deskthemepack

.deskthemepack was introduced in Windows 8 and also supported in Windows 10. Double-clicking the file would automatically extract the files to the Themes folder (current user) and apply it.

In Windows 7, you need to manually extract the .deskthemepack files by opening using a decompression tool like 7-Zip, or simply renaming .deskthemepack to .cab file extension and opening it.

Note: The latter method (renaming as .cab) wouldn't preserve the folder structure used when the theme was originally packed; you need to create the folders manually.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Oct 19, 2015
  3. James_957 Win User
    Civilization IV run error - "please login with administrator privlieges and try again" message

Where are you trying to extract it? What you want to do is extract it into your downloads folder, or onto your desktop etc. Use the Win 10 tool - you can do this by right clicking on the folder and selecting 'Extract All.' Then you go to the extracted
    folder (wherever you saved it), launch the executable file and it should find the Civ BTS directory automatically.

James_957, Oct 19, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

extract and preserve folders and pathways?

Extract All has always preserved folder structure for me. I don' t use it any more as I prefer 7-ZIP. It's Extract here and Extract to always preserver folder structure.

Edit: I just tested this by creating a zip file with several folders in it, each of which has a couple files. There were also files not in those folders.

I then copied the zip file to another location then did a Extract all and everything was exactly as the source. Folder strusture and content was exactly the same as the original.

Don't know what your customers are doing or how they are doing it but you need them to provide a step by step scenario so you or someone here can try to recreate it.

Ztruker, Oct 20, 2015
  5. Thanks for testing that out for me. I don't know what might be going on. I've just had three buyers report the same problem with the exe file being moved out of the folder in win10 in the last week. One person finally admitted later yesterday that he had moved the file out manually instead of making a shortcut the correct way. Seems like frustrating things come in waves.

sciencegal, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

extract and preserve folders and pathways?

1. extract and preserve folders and pathways? - Similar Threads - extract preserve folders

2. How can I preserve folder date/time stamps when extracting a compressed zipped folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I preserve folder date/time stamps when extracting a compressed zipped folder?: In Windows 10, I right-clicked some folders and chose "Send to compressed zipped folder". That worked fine. But when I extract them, the folders all have new date/time stamps. Within the zipped folders, I can see that the original folder date/time stamps are preserved. How...
  3. How can I preserve folder date/time stamps when extracting a compressed zipped folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I preserve folder date/time stamps when extracting a compressed zipped folder?: In Windows 10, I right-clicked some folders and chose "Send to compressed zipped folder". That worked fine. But when I extract them, the folders all have new date/time stamps. Within the zipped folders, I can see that the original folder date/time stamps are preserved. How...
  4. How can I preserve folder date/time stamps when extracting a compressed zipped folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to Extract folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Extract folder: Hi. I'm trying to extract a zipped folder I made so that I can put it into a Github repository, but when I try to use the built in extraction wizard, it just makes a error. It says "Cannot complete the compressed zipped folders extraction wizard. Access to the compressed...
  6. Unable to Extract folder

Unable to Extract folder: Hi. I'm trying to extract a zipped folder I made so that I can put it into a Github repository, but when I try to use the built in extraction wizard, it just makes a error. It says "Cannot complete the compressed zipped folders extraction wizard. Access to the compressed...
  7. Unable to Extract folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Can i extract folder?

Can i extract folder?: Can i extract folder? not the zipped one, the normal one. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-extract-folder/3866206f-7ac2-4098-b534-fd0e792d45b1
  9. Folder Dimensions Preserved

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Dimensions Preserved: By default, Windows kept the dimensions of each folder, but now I've noticed that it is no longer so. If I resize a folder, all folders acquire the same dimensions. I don't use folder templates, besides the general one. Windows 10 1903 157007
  10. windows pathway error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows pathway error: i require help with a windows download error i can download things just fine but when i go to open them it takes a while and gives me a pathway error anyone know how to fix it?...