Windows 10: Extreme slow boot time since eSATA HDD addition

Discus and support Extreme slow boot time since eSATA HDD addition in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi all, My system uses a SSD drive and Fast Boot option in Windows (Hibernate = YES). Also, my BIOS is set to Fast Boot option. Usually, from cold... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by gil, Oct 8, 2018.

1. GIL
    gil Win User

Extreme slow boot time since eSATA HDD addition

Hi all,

My system uses a SSD drive and Fast Boot option in Windows (Hibernate = YES).
    Also, my BIOS is set to Fast Boot option.

• Usually, from cold boot it will log in within 8 seconds on average.
    • For a PC restart, it takes about 15~20 seconds to login. Pretty manageable.

It's worth noting that cold boot uses the hiber.sys file when fast boot option is enabled in windows.
    This file is not being used for PC restart.

Since I added a HDD eSATA enclosure that can host two HDDs, I've experienced slow boot times.
    With 1 HDD it would take about 20 seconds to login from PC restart, but with the additional 2nd HDD it got to about 60+ seconds to login.

Things I've done:
    • I've disabled some none windows, none crucial startup services to no avail.
    • My motherboard is quite old - Asus P8Z77-V-Deluxe.
      It uses Asmedia 106x SATA Controller. The eSata drivers for it are from 21/08/2017 version 3.2.3.0.
      I've installed this driver after I experienced the slow boot time in the hope to achieve better results, but it didn't improve anything.
    • Removed BitDefender to no avail. Installed back.
    • In group policy, I've enabled Windows Boot Performance Diagnostics but I've yet to gather meaningful data.
    • Lastly, disconnected the eSATA HDD enclosure - Windows boots in 8 seconds. Clearly this has to do with the eSATA connection or HDD's.

My questions are:
    • Is there a dedicated diagnostic tool for windows boot time that can point what's holding up to boot process?
    • Do you think it's better to use USB 3.0 instead of the eSATA to improve on the time? or is it the enclosure controller that holds windows boot time?

That's the eSATA HDD enclosure I'm using:
    Vantec NexStar MX Dual 3.5 SATA to USB 3.0 and eSATA W/JBOD/RAID 0/1 Enclosure 690000346712 | eBay

:)

2. GIL
    gil Win User

External eSATA HDD culprit for long boot times (?)

This is how my BIOS is set up to minimize boot seek times. Do you think it's correct?

Extreme slow boot time since eSATA HDD addition [​IMG]

3. Windows 10 Not Detecting 2.5" Laptop HDD Through eSata

Hello Romil,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. We will assist you with this issue.

It would be grateful if you can reply to this question in order to assist you further.

1. Is the issue persists with the particular External hard drive?

2. What is the make and model of your External Hard drive?

3. Did you try using different USB port and check if the HDD is getting detected?

For now try the steps from the below link and check if it helps:

1) Shut down your system.
    2) Plug the HDD drive into the PC through eSata port, and turn on the ESATA drive.

3) Next turn on the PC.

4) If the PC freezes during boot, reboot it, and it usually detects ESATA correctly and boots normally.

5) Check if the system is detecting the drive now.

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Oct 8, 2018
  4. Solaris17 Win User

Additional HDD

sata or IDE? im banking IDE.

pull both jumpers off. both drives.

plug the IDE cable in like so. it goes a certain way.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''Short
    L----------L----L <Ribbon
    I...............I......I
    Mobo.........2.....1
    ...............(Slave)..(Master)

connect 120GB HDD no jumper onto the connector of the short side of the cable (1 master).

connect 160GB HDD no jumper to 2 slave.

make sure mobo end is seated correctly. power is in. boot board.

go into bios set HDD 120GB as primary boot device. then go into the HDD list and make sure the 120GB is at the top of the list.

make sure AHCI/IDE are set appropriately for your board. especially if a bios reset has happened.

if this does not work. put jumpers on both HDD's on the CS pins (cable select pins are marked on the plastic, the pcb or a sticker showing you which 2 pins are M, S, CS)

then repeat steps as necessary.

Solaris17, Oct 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Extreme slow boot time since eSATA HDD addition - Similar Threads - Extreme slow boot

2. EXTREMELY SLOW boot time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EXTREMELY SLOW boot time: So, when I try to start my PC, it takes about an hour. Then I tried to go to recovery options I disabled windows RE, so I have to boot up from my installation media. When I boot from my windows installation DVD, it hangs up at the purple background, and wouldn't show the...
  3. EXTREMELY SLOW boot time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EXTREMELY SLOW boot time: So, when I try to start my PC, it takes about an hour. Then I tried to go to recovery options I disabled windows RE, so I have to boot up from my installation media. When I boot from my windows installation DVD, it hangs up at the purple background, and wouldn't show the...
  4. Windows booting extremely slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows booting extremely slow: Hi all,So there is a problem with my new laptop, it has been around 30 days since I brought a new laptop its a gaming laptop I mean a good one I can play any game in high to max setting with around 60+ fps but as I am a human so I am greedy, I wanted more fps so someone told...
  5. BSOD + Extremely slow boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSOD + Extremely slow boot: Hi guys, So I bought my pc preassembled but without software, and I installed windows 10 onto it. Everything went fine and I was installing some programs back on, but installing certain programs (e.g. blizzard app) makes the pc have an extremely long boot time (>10 mins)....
  6. extremely slow boot up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    extremely slow boot up: When computer is turned on the system boot up is extremely slow what to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/extremely-slow-boot-up/f8d79bfb-db3b-4646-bad9-0ce254f1e282
  7. Super slow boot time and unrecognized HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Super slow boot time and unrecognized HDD: So for about maybe 1 year maybe more my computer does this very random and very annoying thing where one of my HDD's does not show up in the bios and if I try to just boot in to windows it can take upwards of 5 minutes for it to finally bring me to login screen (I get stuck...
  8. Extreme slow boot time since eSATA HDD addition

in Windows 10 Support
    Extreme slow boot time since eSATA HDD addition: Hi all, My system uses a SSD drive and Fast Boot option in Windows (Hibernate = YES). Also, my BIOS is set to Fast Boot option. Usually, from cold boot it will log in within 8 seconds on average. For a PC restart, it takes about 15~20 seconds to login. Pretty manageable....
  9. Extremely Slow Boot Time (3 min)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Extremely Slow Boot Time (3 min): Hi, I recently purchased a laptop with windows 10 x64. The product specifications are these: Star Wars™ Special Edition Notebook - 15-an001na (ENERGY STAR) Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support It's a HP laptop. The boot up time close to 3 minutes goes like this:...
  10. External eSATA HDD culprit for long boot times (?)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    External eSATA HDD culprit for long boot times (?): Hi all, I'm desperately trying to improve my boot times given I'm using SSD and when I used Win8.1 I used to have 8 seconds boot time. This is a clean Win10 installation and all drivers are up to date. I'm using an external eSATA HDD for backups. It seems that Windows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. esata langsamer boot