Windows 10: Extremely dark screen after Windows 10 update

Discus and support Extremely dark screen after Windows 10 update in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; 4 days ago after Windows 10 update my screen went black on start up...(black or so i thought).. It worked on hdmi to the TV so thought that the problem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Mark n MelMcMullen, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Extremely dark screen after Windows 10 update

4 days ago after Windows 10 update my screen went black on start up...(black or so i thought).. It worked on hdmi to the TV so thought that the problem was hardware connection from laptop to laptop screen.. Worked on the tv for a few days via hdmi.. Desktop screen operated as normal on TV only.. Tried all of the power off suggestions and battery removal.. Restarting, restarting etc.. Eventually started getting black screen with cursor on TV hdmi output... Carried on restarting etc.. Took into a repair shop yesterday who got desktop screen etc working on TV hdmi again after running a usb plug in problem search. But told me it's hardware issue because the screen on laptop isn't firing up... Brought it home and then amazingly under certain light i could see very very faintly the desktop display on the laptop screen.. Amazingly took a photo of the screen using flash and i could see my desktop normal display on laptop screen.. So i then moved a bright taketake to the screen and i could then see the screen at about 10% brightness maybe . So i did other changes adaptive brightness but no response or change to brightened.. Also when i plug in hdmi to TV, and using my bright table lamp on laptop screen, my laptop screen rotates 90 degrees but still displaying the desktop page with shortcuts on the laptop screen but the desktop page on the tv is a desktop page normal rotation but without my shortcuts etc.. Any advice please

:)

Mark n MelMcMullen, Dec 23, 2018
  2. Dyan Rey Win User

Dark Screen

Hi Adrienne,

The challenges that you are having with the screen of your computer may be hardware-related. However, we cannot cross out the fact that it may still be software-related. Having said that, we may go through a series of troubleshooting steps that are more
    focused on the software aspect of your computer. Before we proceed, let us isolate the issue by answering the following questions:

• When did you start to notice the issue with the brightness on your computer?
    • Were there any recent changes made on your computer?

We also suggest that you update the display drivers of your computer. Here is a
    link
    that will direct you to a page that contains the steps on how to do so.

Any update from you is highly appreciated.

Dyan Rey, Dec 23, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 23, 2018
  4. Extremely dark screen after Windows 10 update

Screen dark

Hi Kerry,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience that you are experiencing. I will definitely assist you.

This issue usually occur due to the display driver is out dated. Let’s try the simple steps and check if it helps to resolve the issue. I would suggest you to update the Display driver from Device Manager manually and check if this helps. Follow the
    below steps:

• Press (Windows key + X) and click on “Device Manager”.

• Expand “Display Adaptor”.

• Right click on the driver device and select
      update. Once update is done, restart the computer.
    Hope this helps. Post us with status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Dec 23, 2018
Thema:

Extremely dark screen after Windows 10 update

1. Extremely dark screen after Windows 10 update - Similar Threads - Extremely dark screen

2. Surface screen goes dark after driver update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface screen goes dark after driver update: after display driver update causes black screen then Have to go to boot in to recovery point and go with included Microsoft basic display driver. Brightness stuck on 100% No camera found it is built in No windows hello since no camera Battery drains 70% faster due to...
  3. Windows 10 extremely slow after updating to 1909

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 extremely slow after updating to 1909: I have been using a PC with 800 M Hz AMD Phennom II processor and 8 GB RAM running 64-bit Windows 10 for several years. It has been running great until recently it became extremely slow after Windows update since November. I noticed that the CPU and Memory usage changed from...
  4. Dark Screen and Windows 10 Update - Where is the Fix??

Dark Screen and Windows 10 Update - Where is the Fix??: Hello, Each time you send a Windows 10 update to my computer the screen becomes dark. Since this apparently occurs on a regular basis why doesn't Microsoft send a fix along with the update? I have tried each of the suggested remedies and none have corrected the dark...
  5. Extremely bad gameplay after updating to Windows 10

Extremely bad gameplay after updating to Windows 10: So im gonna be specific i have an alienware x51 r2 which i recently upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7. Instead of creating a recovery option or baking it up i figured i would just redownload all my games and applications. After upgrading, all the previous alienware...
  6. Screen dark and keyboard not responding after a recent Windows 10 update (14May2019)

Screen dark and keyboard not responding after a recent Windows 10 update (14May2019): My Lenovo Z40-70 was working perfectly fine until it went dark after the recent Windows 10 update on May 14, 2019. I received a message for a Windows 10 update. I selected "Restart Now" and left the computer to update Windows 10. I returned about 3 hours later to a dark...
  7. Laptop Extremely Slow after a Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop Extremely Slow after a Windows 10 update: Happened on March 14, 2019 Was going to shut down my laptop and one of the buttons was "update and shutdown." I haven't experienced problems in the past updates of win 10 so I let it update. The next day, it took 10 minutes for my pc to start up, refreshing took a whole...
  8. Windows 10 extremely slow after failed update

Windows 10 extremely slow after failed update: i am getting overwhemled trying to solve this problem, and I dont know what route to take to try and fix my laptop. It is running very slowly making any attempt to fix it a long process. I do not know what is causing this so i do not know how to attempt to fix it. The issues...
  9. Windows 10 extremely slow after failed update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 extremely slow after failed update: i am getting overwhemled trying to solve this problem, and I dont know what route to take to try and fix my laptop. It is running very slowly making any attempt to fix it a long process. I do not know what is causing this so i do not know how to attempt to fix it. The issues...
  10. Windows 10 display dark after creators update

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 display dark after creators update: Hello Everyone, My pc is running Windows 10 PRO and after the creators update the display has gone dark a little. I have Intel HD Graphics 2500 as my display adaptor and LG IPS Monitor. I found answers for those running NVIDIA GPU but mine is intel graphics which is...