Windows 10: extremely frequent random reboots; cannot isolate the issue

Discus and support extremely frequent random reboots; cannot isolate the issue in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone. I hate to bother folks with my problem, but I've been experiencing unexpected Windows reboots for almost a month now and just can't figure... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by spon23, May 21, 2020.

1. spon23 Win User

extremely frequent random reboots; cannot isolate the issue

Hi everyone. I hate to bother folks with my problem, but I've been experiencing unexpected Windows reboots for almost a month now and just can't figure out what the problem is. I'm really hoping some kind soul will help me out.

Problem: My PC will (seemingly) randomly reboot at different times. In some instances, it will reboot seconds or minutes after the previous reboot. Other times it might be hours. I never get a BSOD, just a full reboot back into the log-in screen. This behavior started after I installed Valorant video game for my son. I have no idea if it's related (and the game is now uninstalled) but that's the only thing that I can think of that changed around the time the problems started.

Attempted Fixes: Here is a partial list of things I've tried to fix it:
    - run memtest86 - no errors found
    - run chkdsk - no errors or problems found
    - remove heatsync, apply thermal paste, reinstall
    - remove and reinstall all RAM
    - disconnect all peripherals except for mouse and keyboard
    - turn off automatic reboot
    - windows startup repair (this does not work)
    - reinstalled windows over existing build
    - monitor temperatures in real time (never rise over 35-30 C or so)
    - download and install updated drivers for motherboard, chipset, LAN, etc from the Asus website

Notes: There are a TON of NOT LOADED items in my ntbtlog file specific to @CPU.inf,%intelppm.devicedesc%;Intel Processor

Windows 10 Home (Version 1909 - OS Build 18363.836)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have no yet tried a full reinstall of Windows, but I'm really trying to avoid that if at all possible. I have a decent amount of apps/programs that I'd prefer to not have to reinstall and configure.

Thanks!

:)

spon23, May 21, 2020

2. Random Reboots

I've had, as the title suggests, random reboots for the length of the time since I've built my computer (2 years roughly) and they're completely inexplicable.

It happens under no load, high load, watching movies, listening to music, playing games, browsing the web, sitting by itself in the room when the my sleeping monitor is even saying WTF?!

There aren't any Events to view other than the usual 0xC*D event when the service just shrugs at me.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Maybe someone has had the same problem before and it was just a loose molex connection? I'm baffled.

xstayxtruex, May 21, 2020
  3. Marie Ave Win User
    Windows random reboot

Hi jayewaah,

There are several reasons that computers do a random reboot such as overheating, third-party programs running on the background that is causing conflicts on the system or corrupted system files.

I'd like to know the following details so I can provide the appropriate troubleshooting steps to help resolve this concern:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • Were there any changes made prior to the issue?
    • What antivirus program are you using?
    • Was your device overheating the moment you play games?
    • In which instance does the reboot occurs besides when playing games?
    • Do you have a third-party antivirus program installed on your device?
    • Do you have any third-party programs installed recently?

For initial troubleshooting, kindly follow these steps:

• Check if there are available updates for your device by clicking on the
      Start button, then select Settings >
      Update & security
      > Windows Update > Check for updates.
    • Verify if there are drivers that are missing or needs update. follow the steps on
      Update drivers in Windows 10 article.
    • Check if there are blockages inside your device's components that may lead to overheating. (cooling fan)
    • Perform a clean boot on your device to isolate the issue. This will determine if there are third-party
      applications that is causing conflict on your system. This will also help you check if the performance will improve and if the reboot instances will stop.

Update us with the results.

Marie Ave, May 21, 2020
  4. Argel Obm Win User

Reboot random in my PC

Hi Diego,

We need to gather more information for us to better assist you on your random reboot concern. Kindly answer the following:

• When did the random reboot issue start?
    • Were there any changes made on your computer before encountering the issue?
    • Are you encountering a blue screen error when your computer suddenly reboots? If so, what is the error message that you're getting?

Argel Obm, May 21, 2020
Thema:

1. extremely frequent random reboots; cannot isolate the issue - Similar Threads - extremely frequent random

2. Random reboot issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random reboot issues: Ive been having issues with random reboots and not waking after sleep and what not. I've clean reinstalled windows 11 a few different times and still have the same issues. Ive upgraded drivers and not and still the same...
  3. Random reboot issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random reboot issues: Ive been having issues with random reboots and not waking after sleep and what not. I've clean reinstalled windows 11 a few different times and still have the same issues. Ive upgraded drivers and not and still the same...
  4. BSOD and random reboot frequently

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD and random reboot frequently: So I've been experiencing occasional reboot/crashes for a month or two now, but recently it has been happen very frequently. While searching for a fix, I've run Windows Memory Diagnostic tool according to some website but it didn't shown me anything helpful. I'll like to add...
  5. BSOD and random reboot frequently

BSOD and random reboot frequently: So I've been experiencing occasional reboot/crashes for a month or two now, but recently it has been happen very frequently. While searching for a fix, I've run Windows Memory Diagnostic tool according to some website but it didn't shown me anything helpful. I'll like to add...
  6. Frequent reboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Frequent reboot: Hi,I have an OS which is "Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB", I have a third party vendor agent which I need to install in that machine, but after installing it, the machine keeps rebooting, when I check the event viewer logs I found that None of the reboots were...
  7. Frequent reboot

Frequent reboot: Hi,I have an OS which is "Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB", I have a third party vendor agent which I need to install in that machine, but after installing it, the machine keeps rebooting, when I check the event viewer logs I found that None of the reboots were...
  8. Frequent reboot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. SYSTEM REBOOTED ON BUGCHECK ISSUE FREQUENTLY

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SYSTEM REBOOTED ON BUGCHECK ISSUE FREQUENTLY: Sir, my system reboots frequently even not in use , and event viewer shows it happens on a bugcheckthe error shown in last time is,The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000116 0xffffa10c11972460, 0xfffff80354f571e4, 0xffffffffc000009a,...
  10. New PC randomly and frequently crashes and reboots

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    New PC randomly and frequently crashes and reboots: I recently built a new PC which has been getting frequent crashes. Can anyone help me solve this issue, included below is a Minidump from the most recent crash, as well some computer part information if that helps. Please let me know if you need any more information and...