Windows 10: Extremely high disk usage, i tried all the tricks and tips but none fixed it.

Discus and support Extremely high disk usage, i tried all the tricks and tips but none fixed it. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Recently, my laptop has become EXTREMELY slow at points, sometimes its ok and fine but sometimes it's disk usage just goes insane and goes up to 100... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/danielis3, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Extremely high disk usage, i tried all the tricks and tips but none fixed it.

Recently, my laptop has become EXTREMELY slow at points, sometimes its ok and fine but sometimes it's disk usage just goes insane and goes up to 100 for no reason. At first it was at 100% at ALL times, but then i searched online and disabled some stuff, like Windows search, sysmain, diagsrv, and yes they did help a tiny bit, but as i am typing this, my disk usage is at 99% right now. I tried all sorts of stuff, like clearing cache, turning off flash, removing programs, turning off prefetch and etc.

It will sometimes just go up and down like a roller coaster and it's crazy. I'm stressed, this is a relatively new laptop and I literally did nothing for it to become like this, it just happened on a random day. I didn't install anything or do anything around that time.

What can I do to fix this? Do i need to reset my pc? all my work is on here. I updated my laptop and still it wont stabilize. I checked the c: properties and there were no errors and my laptop is "Suppose" to be in good health. Sometimes my entire laptop would FREEZE and I would have to manually turn it off and when i turn it back on again, it'd take around 20 mins to turn back on. My laptop memory is pretty relatively high, even tho im not gaming or anything im just browsing around.

The weird thing is sometimes when it's 100, my pc runs ok but sometimes it's just too laggy to be true.

Any replies will be GREATLY appreciated or else, imma have to reset my laptop....

submitted by /u/danielis3
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/danielis3, Oct 23, 2020
  2. hArLtRoN Win User

High Disk Usage

I am trying to figure out the cause of my extremely high disk usage. No matter what I do, the usage is anywhere from 80%-100%.

I've stopped and disabled the Windows Search, along with Superfetch.

Extremely high disk usage, i tried all the tricks and tips but none fixed it. [​IMG]

I've also tried disabling "Show me tips about Windows" and it hasn't worked either

Extremely high disk usage, i tried all the tricks and tips but none fixed it. [​IMG]

Here is how Task Manager currently looks

Any ideas on how to get the usage back to a reasonable %? I've tried everything I could find and nothing will work. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

hArLtRoN, Oct 23, 2020
  3. KaRenis Win User
    100% disk usage. Tried probably everything...

Its getting worse and worse by the day. The disk usage goes 100% whenever i add a tab, minimize a game. This never used to happen before i tried several tips to reduce the usage which made even worse. I have tried probably everything except buying another hardrive which i wont cause mine is pretty much new. Can you suggest maybe a tip that would actually fix this problem? I tried turning off suggested services, search, power options, ending tasks...

KaRenis, Oct 23, 2020
  4. AUTiger1 Win User

Extremely high disk usage, i tried all the tricks and tips but none fixed it.

High Disk Usage

Hi all, I'm struggling with finding things to fix my high disk usage. I've spent many months searching the internet and doing all the listed suggestions like disabling SuperFetch, Windows Defender, Updating drivers, ect. and still I'm stuck with a high disk usage. Here's a screen shot I took immediately following a restart and opening up to a new Firefox window.

I have noticed Service Host: Local System takes up quite a bit of disk usage and that if I close it and let it open back up all by itself then it immediately makes my disk usage drop into a much more manageable 40-60% usage range. But eventually after a while it maxes out again and I have to close it out again. It's an annoying step just to be able to use my computer.

Also, I have noticed that after working with my mom's computer today, that her disk usage when no programs are running is only like 5%. Makes me wonder why my computer can have no programs running but my disk usage never drops below 30% and sits in the 40-60% range with spikes up over 75%.

I honestly don't know enough about computers to do much more than I already have without causing major issues. BTW, just a couple weeks ago I had to do a Windows reinstall, not a complete reinstall, just the basic reinstall they allow you to do on Windows 10 where you still keep all your personal files. Ever since that a lot of times when I try to open a process like Run or Task Manager I'll get an error message that it can't open and then I do it again and it will open the second time.

Here's a screenshot of my computer information so you can see what I'm working with here.

AUTiger1, Oct 23, 2020
Thema:

Extremely high disk usage, i tried all the tricks and tips but none fixed it.

1. Extremely high disk usage, i tried all the tricks and tips but none fixed it. - Similar Threads - Extremely high disk

2. Windows 11 tips & tricks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 tips & tricks: What the tips and tricks for windows 11[Original Title: Windows 11] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-tips-tricks/0b48e462-ed0b-4d3e-9863-877e9780e1fa
  3. Windows Terminal Tips and Tricks

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Terminal Tips and Tricks: Windows Terminal is a command-line tool developed by Microsoft. Using this tool, you can run multiple command-line tools like Command Prompt, PowerShell, etc., in separate tabs. Apart from this, you can also add different command-line emulators to the Windows Terminal by...
  4. Firewalls tips&Tricks

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Firewalls tips&Tricks: Hello community here, What's recommended tips and tricks of Windows built-in Firewalls? what should ON or OFF? I wanna know right configs and make it more secure to harden traffics and kinds of threats? Or to suggest me good guides of it. I am afraid to change something...
  5. Extremely high RAM usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Extremely high RAM usage: How does Windows take 5GB out 8GB of RAM on idle? I've disabled runtime broker and many other ram intensive programs and it's still that high. I don't have any game launcher or anything. ‍♂️I'm honestly so confused. ‍♂️ submitted by /u/ProGamer1151 [link] [comments]...
  6. Extremely high RAM usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Extremely high RAM usage: https://imgur.com/a/uIjlPQi Been having this problem for ages and I still don't know what's causing it. Sometimes I boot up my computer and it seems fine and sometimes I boot it up and this happens, where on idle, it is using over 97% of my RAM. I've tried updating drivers...
  7. Camera is not working on Windows 10 Pro - I already tried all the tips and tricks

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Camera is not working on Windows 10 Pro - I already tried all the tips and tricks: Hello everyone, I am facing an issue with my camera. I have a Asus Vivobook X512FJ laptop which was bought in april 2020. For like a month I am facing an issue, but none could help me. I hope someone is able to fix this issue. So, when I open the camera app, it shows...
  8. VM Tips and Tricks?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VM Tips and Tricks?: Hello, When I purchased my recent laptop, I had it come downgraded to Windows 7 Pro on a junk drive. So I essentially had a Windows 7 key and 8 key. I replaced the junk drive with an SSD and installed Windows 8 using the key in the BIOS. Today, the laptop is on Windows 10...
  9. Extremely high intermittent disk usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Extremely high intermittent disk usage: Hello, From sometime in October, after an update, there have been periods, sometimes intermittent, sometime persisting for a long time, when Disk usage spikes up to 100%, and makes a lot of things unusable. I did some researching, and disabled a bunch of stuff, like...
  10. Tips & Tricks

in Windows 10 Support
    Tips & Tricks: Post any tips, tricks, or workarounds here. How to use Windows 10 Technical Preview PC Start Search Cortana Apps Photos File Explorer Maps Xbox Personalization and settings Touch and keyboard Updates and feedback Windows Keyboard shortcuts (there's probably a...