Windows 10: Extremely high intermittent disk usage

Discus and support Extremely high intermittent disk usage in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, From sometime in October, after an update, there have been periods, sometimes intermittent, sometime persisting for a long time, when Disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by starbearer, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Extremely high intermittent disk usage

Hello,

From sometime in October, after an update, there have been periods, sometimes intermittent, sometime persisting for a long time, when Disk usage spikes up to 100%, and makes a lot of things unusable.

I did some researching, and disabled a bunch of stuff, like Windows notifications, Windows search, background intelligent transfer and superfetch, even OneDrive, but even on Windows 10 version 1511, Disk usage spikes to 100%, the offending application / service being anything from System to memory compression to 3rd party applications...

This is becoming extremely irritating, and my video playback or something else stutters a lot when disk usage jumps up, often at chronic levels, then backs down, or stays at that usage for some time.

Could anyone suggest a remedy for this? I have run out of ideas, barring a system reset...it used to work fine before an update in mid - October.

Thanks a lot.

:)

starbearer, Dec 12, 2015

2. Extremely high disk usage and memory usage in Windows 10

My Dell Inspiron 13 computer is just over a year old and still within its warranty period. Windows 10 has just auto-updated and there is 99% disk usage. Memory usage is also 40% or higher. NO program is running. Windows SuperFetch and Antimalware Executable
    are consuming all the memory and disk. The computer is hanging all the time and is EXTREMELY slow, totally unusable. What should I do?

NandkishorePrakash, Dec 12, 2015
  3. Sher Amo Win User
    Extremely high disk usage and memory usage in Windows 10

Hi Nandkishore,

A third-party program conflict can be the reason for this error. To isolate your concern, we recommend that you check this article on
    how to perform a clean boot in Windows. This helps eliminate
    software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update. You may also determine what conflict is causing the issue by performing this method.

Note: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Let us know how it goes after you've performed the steps.

Sher Amo, Dec 12, 2015
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

Extremely high intermittent disk usage

I would try another disk. This could very well be a hardware problem.

5. Hello,

It actually used to work fine just before the update. I have seen this issue, almost exactly the same, being reported in other places as well. Also I've run a host of diagnostic tests on my laptop for the disk, and they all report it's alright. Drivers are updated to Windows 10 as per OEM releases.

For example :

http://forums.windowscentral.com/skype/388912-disk-usage-very-high.html

- is one post which describes roughly the same issue. However, my problem is not related to skype, it's disabled. So are things like OneDrive etc.

starbearer, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Extremely high intermittent disk usage

1. Extremely high intermittent disk usage - Similar Threads - Extremely high intermittent

2. high disk usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    high disk usage: I am facing high disk usage problems after upgrading to windows 11. PC health check said that my hardware is compatible and my hard drive has around 200 GB free space left on C drive....
  3. High Disk Usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High Disk Usage: Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron 15 3576 with the following build Intel core i3 7th Gen1TB Toshiba MQ01ABD100 HDD12 GB RAMI had two other issues regarding long startup time and high disk usage by SYSTEM process. They were solved with help from the Microsoft Community...
  4. High Disk Usage

High Disk Usage: My disk usage is 100% during startup making it unusable which settles down after like 5 mins. After it settles down and i open an application disk usage again skyrockets to 100% which settles down ultimately. I have tried every method online without any luck....
  5. Extremely high RAM usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Extremely high RAM usage: How does Windows take 5GB out 8GB of RAM on idle? I've disabled runtime broker and many other ram intensive programs and it's still that high. I don't have any game launcher or anything. ‍♂️I'm honestly so confused. ‍♂️ submitted by /u/ProGamer1151 [link] [comments]...
  6. High Disk Usage

High Disk Usage: The Disk usage is almost always 100%. I am unable to do work. Please help. I have windows 10 on Dell inspiron 5559. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-disk-usage/9f934320-7fb2-4015-b1ff-d75bb14a50cb
  7. Extremely high RAM usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Extremely high RAM usage: https://imgur.com/a/uIjlPQi Been having this problem for ages and I still don't know what's causing it. Sometimes I boot up my computer and it seems fine and sometimes I boot it up and this happens, where on idle, it is using over 97% of my RAM. I've tried updating drivers...
  8. High Disk Usage

High Disk Usage: hi, i am using windows 10 home, version 2004. i am having high disk usage problem for about a week. even when not using, it is 100%. But,in Task manager, under DISK column, there running "svchost", Tiworker, system. how can these 3 items cause 100% usage? btw, i ran chkdsk,...
  9. Intermittent Freezes Due to High Disk Usage

Intermittent Freezes Due to High Disk Usage: Hello, so I built my Windows computer about a year ago and I've been having this issue ever since and I haven't been able to fix it despite numerous attempts. The situation is that about every hour the applications on my computer will freeze for about 10 seconds. I can move...
  10. High Disk Usage

High Disk Usage: Hi, Every Mon. AM ( When I turn on the computer) my computer is very slow. When I check the Task Manager>Processes it is "System" which is causing the computer to barely work. The Disk usage is 49-50%. This lasts for 10-15 min. & then doesn't happen until the next week....