Windows 10: Extremely high memory usage while doing next to nothing

Discus and support Extremely high memory usage while doing next to nothing in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi everyone,Recently past two weeks I've been having extremely high RAM usage with only MS Edge open.Task manager says that MS Edge is using ~1,500 MB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Blur11602, Sep 23, 2022.

1. Blur11602 Win User

Extremely high memory usage while doing next to nothing

Hi everyone,Recently past two weeks I've been having extremely high RAM usage with only MS Edge open.Task manager says that MS Edge is using ~1,500 MB of ram out of my 32 GB but the 'Performance' tab says I've used 80%+ of my installed RAM.I've tried updating all drivers including bios, doing sfc scannow, and updating Windows.also if it helps in any way - task manager lags A LOT when I go to the processes tab, sometimes freezes for up to 10 secondsMy specs are as follows built computer earlier this year:Windows 11 ProIntel Core i7-12700K32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RS 2x16GBTUF GAMIN

:)

Blur11602, Sep 23, 2022

2. System and compressed memory high disk usage

Hi Robert,

As you are facing issues with high system and compressed memory on your device we will help you with this issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • What is the complete error message with respect to the memory when you are trying to access games?

This issue might have occurred due to applications or services running at the startup on the computer. Bad sectors on the hard drive or outdated and incompatible drivers might also cause such issues.

I suggest you to refer to the below post check if your issue matches with the same.

If so, I recommend you to try the troubleshooting steps suggested by Amarjeet Paul
    and check if it helps.

System and compressed memory high disk usage during file
    copy

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 23, 2022
  3. GBCrosby Win User
    System and compressed memory high disk usage during file copy

Thank you Amarjeet_Paul.

I spent many more hours than I had hoped this past week reading and trying others' suggestions from this community on how to reduce high RAM usage due to ntoskrnl.exe. The "System and compressed memory" process remained the top consumer of RAM, using 500-900MB,
    among all other processes running. I deemed it to be the likely culprit in making my computer use frustratingly sluggish. After completing your
    third step, steps 1. & 2. provided no improvement in my case, the "System and compressed memory" process RAM usage has plummeted from the top of the Task Manager Process list to the bottom, running at a remarkable 0.1MB! That's a whole lot less than
    1% of the targeted process' gluttony. You're hired! Ps. I'll be keeping an eye on the process' use as I get back to normal operations, and be back if it floats to high in the list. Or if the registry fix you suggested has compromised use in any way. Please
    explain in simple terms what the insertion of your registry modification is doing.

Thanks again.

Geoff

GBCrosby, Sep 23, 2022
  4. Extremely high memory usage while doing next to nothing

System and Compressed Memory High Disk Usage

Hi Yousef,

As you are facing issues with high system memory usage on your PC, we will help you with this issue.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with CPU usage by the processes on your device. Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

These issues might occur due to applications or services running at the startup on the computer. Bad sectors on the hard drive or outdated and incompatible drivers might also cause such issues.

I suggest you to refer to the below post check if your issue matches with the same.

If so, I recommend you to try the troubleshooting steps suggested by Amarjeet Paul
    and check if it helps.

System and compressed memory high disk usage during file
    copy

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 23, 2022
Thema:

Extremely high memory usage while doing next to nothing

1. Extremely high memory usage while doing next to nothing - Similar Threads - Extremely high memory

2. Help with high memory usage while idle and nothing open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help with high memory usage while idle and nothing open: Hello, I noticed I'm having high ram usage when my pc is idle. I just restarted my computer in these screenshots so I don't believe it is a memory leak. i have virtually nothing open to use them ram either. Can anyone help with this?...
  3. Help with high memory usage while idle and nothing open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help with high memory usage while idle and nothing open: Hello, I noticed I'm having high ram usage when my pc is idle. I just restarted my computer in these screenshots so I don't believe it is a memory leak. i have virtually nothing open to use them ram either. Can anyone help with this?...
  4. Extremely high memory usage while doing next to nothing

Extremely high memory usage while doing next to nothing: Hi everyone,Recently past two weeks I've been having extremely high RAM usage with only MS Edge open.Task manager says that MS Edge is using ~1,500 MB of ram out of my 32 GB but the 'Performance' tab says I've used 80%+ of my installed RAM.I've tried updating all drivers...
  5. File Explorer High to Extreme Memory usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer High to Extreme Memory usage: File Explorer consumes about 160-400 MB in the background from the point of booting my computer to shutting it down. The problem has been there since I purchased the laptop HP-15 2019 version. I tried clearing my temp files, clearing the indexed files, etc. I have scanned my...
  6. File Explorer High to Extreme Memory usage

File Explorer High to Extreme Memory usage: File Explorer consumes about 160-400 MB in the background from the point of booting my computer to shutting it down. The problem has been there since I purchased the laptop HP-15 2019 version. I tried clearing my temp files, clearing the indexed files, etc. I have scanned my...
  7. File Explorer High to Extreme Memory usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Extremely High Memory Usage While Idle - Memory Leak

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Extremely High Memory Usage While Idle - Memory Leak: [ATTACH] OK so for the past few weeks I've been having problems with high memory usage. As you can see here with no applications open it's running at 88% but with Chrome and Discord it's above 95%. My computer has 16GB of RAM and I've never had this problem before. I've...
  9. Extremely high idle memory usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Extremely high idle memory usage: A few weeks ago now I have had the issue of my pc idling at 80 - 90% memory with a fresh reboot. I do have quite a bit of programs in startup but I doubt that's it because I have never had an issue for this. I have done TONS of research tried many methods but non of them...
  10. Very high physical memory usage with nothing open

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Very high physical memory usage with nothing open: msconfig - disable all 3rd party software startups ramMap, file explorer, nothing looks fishy scanned system with ESET, malwarebytes, hitman clean system with advanced system care and CC cleaner. nothing helps a bit just cant figure out what is eating up my rams,...