Windows 10: Extremely long boot issues after Drivers and Windows update

Discus and support Extremely long boot issues after Drivers and Windows update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; The other day, I was updating drivers specifically SATA AHCI controller drivers and NVIDIA display drivers. I went to go restart my computer, and saw... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JakeB25, Jan 18, 2020.

1. JakeB25 Win User

Extremely long boot issues after Drivers and Windows update

The other day, I was updating drivers specifically SATA AHCI controller drivers and NVIDIA display drivers. I went to go restart my computer, and saw that there was a mandatory Windows update. So, I restarted it, then I got stuck on the "ASRock" loading screen for 7 hours. I decided to shut down my computer and start it back up again.

When booting off of AHCI: SSD, like I normally would, I get the error: "reboot and select proper boot device." When booting from Windows Boot Manager SSD then it occasionally gives me an error saying: "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware change might be the cause... Info: A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed." In the instance that this doesn't pop up, or if I try to load Windows anyways, I get put on a loading screen for 10 minutes and it eventually all loads up and works fine. Or, it loads forever and never starts. So when booting from Windows Boot Manager, it loads about 50% of the time after 10 minutes, which is really odd. Everything works fine from that point on unless I restart again. Before updating drivers/Windows, I had never encountered these errors, and my computer used to boot up in less than 30 seconds.

I've tried the following:

• Uninstalling latest Windows update with Windows Recovery Environment USB
    • Going back to a restore point It wasn't enabled so I can't
    • Uninstalling SATA drivers without uninstalling it's software
    • Repairing startup problems using Windows Recovery Environment
    • Using Bootrec /fixmbr in the command prompt
    • Unplugging other hard drive I have
    • Unplugging and plugging in the SSD
    • Switching SATA ports
    • Checked Event Viewer. The only reoccurring error I saw was "The RtkAudioUniversalService service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified." I tried installing RealTech Audio Drivers before the initial restart/update but the install had failed. I doubt this is causing the boot issues though.
    • Messed with boot options in the BIOS. It's set to AHCI, fast boot is off, boot order doesn't seem to make a difference.
    • Scanning the SSD for errors

One of the only things I haven't tried is reinstalling Windows. I'd like to avoid this, though, since my computer is definitely still usable, and I don't want to have to go through the tedious process of cloning all of my apps/files over. Right now I'm at a loss at what to do though, because I've tried so many things and I haven't been able to narrow down the issue at all.

Any sort of information and help is highly appreciated, thank you so much!

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER

16GB Ram

1 TB SanDisk SSD boot drive

3 TB Hard Drive

:)

JakeB25, Jan 18, 2020
  2. Steve C Win User

Extremely long and incomplete boot

This may be a long shot. My PC hung at boot yesterday after typing the password - see Can't Login - Further Troubleshooting Steps?

I ran chkdsk c: /spotfix and all is now fine. Someone has also suggested running chkdsk c: /r.

Steve C, Jan 18, 2020
  3. Windows 7 wont install drivers

i dont think anyone here understands what your asking either when its nearly a 90% english dominated Tech forum.
    Step 1
    reinstall windows from scratch
    Step 2
    install all drivers from the cd that came with the god damn motherboard *common sense*
    Step 3
    update windows
    Step 4
    install misc etc crap like flash java etc etc
    Step 5
    Install GPU drivers
    Step 6
    go back to using your pc without issue.

crazyeyesreaper, Jan 18, 2020
  4. Extremely long boot issues after Drivers and Windows update

Windows 7 wont install drivers

+1

If you having an issue installing a driver that worked before you formatted or wont install on a fresh build, sometimes this means hardware damage

brandonwh64, Jan 18, 2020
Thema:

Extremely long boot issues after Drivers and Windows update

1. Extremely long boot issues after Drivers and Windows update - Similar Threads - Extremely long boot

2. extremely long updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    extremely long updates: My computer runs on an Intel I7 8700 processor with 8 cores and a 3GHz clock rate, yet I'm seeing updates for Windows 11 Home that take what I think are excessively long times, of the order of 30 minutes or more. Is this unusual?...
  3. extremely long updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    extremely long updates: My computer runs on an Intel I7 8700 processor with 8 cores and a 3GHz clock rate, yet I'm seeing updates for Windows 11 Home that take what I think are excessively long times, of the order of 30 minutes or more. Is this unusual?...
  4. Long windows boot time issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Long windows boot time issue: Has anyone else been having longer boot times since updating to the most recent version of windows 10. I updated on Dec 10th and it takes anywhere between 10-20 minutes now when it used to take 30 seconds to 2 minutes. submitted by /u/Tri3nforcer [link] [comments]...
  5. Issues and extremely long loading of Music folder

Issues and extremely long loading of Music folder: Having an issue since some Windows 10 update within the last few months (not sure which one) where my music folder takes a very long time to load, and refreshes regularly / randomly while in it, sometimes when just scrolling, or even if I am not performing any actions and...
  6. Windows July 14th update: Extremely LONG Boot up time

Windows July 14th update: Extremely LONG Boot up time: Before July 14th, My PC is able to boot up and get ready to be used under a minute or so generally. My Windows 10 is running off a Samsung Evo NVME M.2 drive. I have AMD 1700X and 32 GB of RAM and Vega 64. Now it takes more like 10 min to load desktop icon and app task on...
  7. Windows not booting after driver update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows not booting after driver update: I have recently installed Windows 10, 1903 on my iMac (20-inch, Late 2009). Keep in mind that Windows is running in UEFI mode, despite being on a Mac. When I go to This PC > Properties > Device Manager and install the drivers for my NVIDIA GeForce 9400, my computer fails to...
  8. restarting after update is taking extremely long time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    restarting after update is taking extremely long time: last time after update 1511 i tried restarting my laptop was 1 hour please help me 43413
  9. Extremely long and incomplete boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Extremely long and incomplete boot: Greetings. My PC was working fine until yesterday. Today upon boot, it hung on the login screen (no password required) for about 25 seconds, displaying "preparing windows." When the desktop appeared, it was incomplete, as was the start menu. My sense is that programs that run...
  10. Windows 10 Home: Extremely Long Boot Times & Sometimes Not At All

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Home: Extremely Long Boot Times & Sometimes Not At All: I have a Sony All-In-One (Model SVL241290X also known as SVL241A11L) computer loaded with Windows 10 Home. Since the later part of Nov; early Dec, I have been experiencing extremely long boot times. We’re talking in the neighborhood of several hours and sometimes it doesn’t...