Windows 10: Extremely slow application response becuase of regional format

Discus and support Extremely slow application response becuase of regional format in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; We have legacy MFC based desktop application, our application is loading configurations/settings from a file, floating points are either comma or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MrSat, Nov 12, 2019.

1. MrSat Win User

Extremely slow application response becuase of regional format

We have legacy MFC based desktop application, our application is loading configurations/settings from a file, floating points are either comma or decimal separated.

Our application was running quite nicely on Windows 10 until we updated to 1903 Build. Application takes a lot of time(sometime 2 minutes, if everything works fine then same application takes 3-5 seconds) at startup to load configuration/settings file & overall application behavior is also very slow.
    we tried different ways to solve the issue. At the end we found out that regional format in Windows 10 is making trouble with European languages (English-Finland, English-German etc), we concluded based on our different combinations of display language and regional format. [The following is the workaround to solve the issue]

-> If display language of windows 10 is English other than English (United States) or English (United kingdom) then regional format should be English (United states) or English (United Kingdom). [English (World) also works]

-> For other languages, display language & regional format should match with each other. For example, if German is selected as display language, German should be selected in regional format.

-> English united states & English(World) as regional format always work irrespective of display language.
    Anyone else having similar kind of issue? What would be the possible fix for this issue? Is this issue related to default encoding of files to UTF-8 encoding in Windows 10?

Is it possible that some language packs are incomplete? especially European English language packs.

:)

MrSat, Nov 12, 2019

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Nov 12, 2019
  3. John Sarc Win User
    Changing Time Format

Hi Mary,

There's a possibility that the set up time format in your computer Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) is military time. To have this checked, you can try to reset the time of your computer through Control Panel. See the steps below on how to do
    so:

• Open Control Panel > Clock, Language, and Region >
      Change date, time, or number formats. This would open the
      Region
      window.
    • From there, click on Additional settings at the bottom part. It will open the Customize Format.
    • Click Reset; then, OK.

The steps should work; however, if not, we suggest that you contact manufacturer and have the BIOS time checked.

Let us know what happens after doing the suggestions .

John Sarc, Nov 12, 2019
  4. Extremely slow application response becuase of regional format

Windows Format Configuration (time)

Hi Joc,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I will certainly help you with this.

I suggest you to try the below given steps and check if it helps you to change the time format.

• Press Windows key + X key, clicking Control Panel, clicking
      Clock, Language, and Region, and then clicking
      Region.
    • Click the Formats tab, and then, in the
      Format list, select the Match Windows display language (recommended)
      under Format.
    • Check if the h: mm: tt is available under Short time and
      Long time format.

Please post back with the results, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Nov 12, 2019
Thema:

Extremely slow application response becuase of regional format

1. Extremely slow application response becuase of regional format - Similar Threads - Extremely slow application

2. Slow response opening applications Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow response opening applications Windows 10: Applications that usually open in a few seconds take up to 2 minutes to launch. I have no idea what might have changed in the last 24 hours. I'm up to date on Windows. The Task Manager Resource Manager shows 50%+ memory usage. I don't now whether that's atypical for my...
  3. Windows 10 extremely slow after format

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 extremely slow after format: I had a virus on Win10 so I decided to start again with a clean Win10 install, formatted the disk and it is painfully slow. I have to wait a couple of seconds after I click an app for it to open, which wasn't the case before the format. What could it be? Should I run...
  4. File Explorer Extremely Slow or Not Responsive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Extremely Slow or Not Responsive: I have windows 10 and these issues occur when using file explorer, moving or managing files. A. File explorer takes minutes to open or won't open when clicked on this includes using the windows search bar and any icons on the computer. B. File explorer crashes often or is...
  5. Slow response

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Slow response: My keyboard giving me a very slow response on typing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-response/1a3f12a0-1adb-4de8-884d-0e0476213f70
  6. SLOW RESPONSE

in Windows 10 Customization
    SLOW RESPONSE: My PC has been slowing down for a while now, I can open a browser and wait for minutes for it to load the same applies to other applications AND I HAVE THE UPDATED WINDOWS 10. I have done disk cleanups, changed advanced settings but still nothing can I be helped?...
  7. Extremely slow response when a program accesses the folder structure

Extremely slow response when a program accesses the folder structure: Often, when I do something that requires a program to access the folder structure, such as an "attach," the system responds incredibly slowly. It might take a minute or more, during which the program shows as non-responding. This mainly occurs with several web browsers,...
  8. Extremely slow response when a program accesses the folder structure

Extremely slow response when a program accesses the folder structure: Often, when I do something that requires a program to access the folder structure, such as a "save as" or "attach," the system responds incredibly slowly. It might take a minute or more, during which the program shows as non-responding, before I finally see the window where...
  9. Charmap is having extremely slow response

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Charmap is having extremely slow response: I recently upgraded my computer with a new MOBO, CPU, and video card. This forced me to pay to purchase a Win10 license, even though I already had Win10. So, now I've got: Windows 10 Home 64-bit 10.0, Build 18363 18362.19h1_release.190318-1202 MSI Performance Gaming AMD...
  10. Application responsiveness

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Application responsiveness: Hello tenforums users! So I am using applications like Process Lasso and WhySoSlow. Sometimes when turning on and using some of applications in the Process Lasso app I can see a Responsiveness of application that it has a high usage and my laptop freezes for few secs. In...