Windows 10: Extremely slow response when a program accesses the folder structure

Discus and support Extremely slow response when a program accesses the folder structure in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Often, when I do something that requires a program to access the folder structure, such as a "save as" or "attach," the system responds incredibly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AMZHLH, Jun 11, 2020.

1. AMZHLH Win User

Extremely slow response when a program accesses the folder structure

Often, when I do something that requires a program to access the folder structure, such as a "save as" or "attach," the system responds incredibly slowly. It might take a minute or more, during which the program shows as non-responding, before I finally see the window where I can specify what folder to save to or to attach from. I'm not sure this occurs with Microsoft programs, but it certainly occurs with several different web browsers where I'm trying to attach a file including Edge and FF. So it seems not to be a problem with the programs, but with Windows. It's not always that slow, but almost always it's not as "zippy" as it used to be. Otherwise, performance on my machine is not noticeably problematic. This started maybe six months ago.

Thank you.

:)

AMZHLH, Jun 11, 2020

2. folder structure of /users/... and relation to OneDrive

Some new installations of Windows 10 do not have folder in the /users/%username%/ folder or have only 1 or a few of the standard structure of 'backups, desktop, documents, downloads, pictures, music, video'. but the OneDrive folder structure is complete
    for more so. The OneDrive/documents is populated with files, but the c:/users/documents/ has no files, The 'Quick Access' list is compete and properly populated. Shall I generate the file structure in the /users/%username%/ folder? Any good articles?

Thanks. Howard

HowardSartori, Jun 11, 2020
  3. enso Win User
    Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

4. buck10 Win User

Folder structure

Hi

I would like my folder structure to have the list view but show thumbnails for files within those folders.

In the 'folder options' I can only set either picture view or list view. How can I achieve list view AND show thumbs?

I have realised I can set this manunally for each folder, but it's impractical as I have thousands of directories.

Thanks for any help

buck10, Jun 11, 2020
Thema:

1. Extremely slow response when a program accesses the folder structure - Similar Threads - Extremely slow response

2. Laptop extremely slow when plugged

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop extremely slow when plugged: Laptop extremely slow when plugged inI've noticed, especially when gaming, that everything on my laptop slows down when it's plugged in and charging. Games are nearly impossible to play and it takes ages to load/navigate a webpage when the computer's plugged in. But the...
  3. Extremely slow extraction of ZIP folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Extremely slow extraction of ZIP folder: I downloaded an old arduino software release, and the download was a 100mb compressed ZIP folder. Nothing strange about that. But I just extracted the folder and something weird happened. The process took about 10 minutes and the speed almost never exceeded 1mb/s, and was...
  4. File Explorer Extremely Slow or Not Responsive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Extremely Slow or Not Responsive: I have windows 10 and these issues occur when using file explorer, moving or managing files. A. File explorer takes minutes to open or won't open when clicked on this includes using the windows search bar and any icons on the computer. B. File explorer crashes often or is...
  5. Slow response

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Slow response: My keyboard giving me a very slow response on typing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-response/1a3f12a0-1adb-4de8-884d-0e0476213f70
  6. SLOW RESPONSE

in Windows 10 Customization
    SLOW RESPONSE: My PC has been slowing down for a while now, I can open a browser and wait for minutes for it to load the same applies to other applications AND I HAVE THE UPDATED WINDOWS 10. I have done disk cleanups, changed advanced settings but still nothing can I be helped?...
  7. Extremely slow response when a program accesses the folder structure

Extremely slow response when a program accesses the folder structure: Often, when I do something that requires a program to access the folder structure, such as an "attach," the system responds incredibly slowly. It might take a minute or more, during which the program shows as non-responding. This mainly occurs with several web browsers,...
  8. Charmap is having extremely slow response

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Charmap is having extremely slow response: I recently upgraded my computer with a new MOBO, CPU, and video card. This forced me to pay to purchase a Win10 license, even though I already had Win10. So, now I've got: Windows 10 Home 64-bit 10.0, Build 18363 18362.19h1_release.190318-1202 MSI Performance Gaming AMD...
  9. Extremely slow application response becuase of regional format

Extremely slow application response becuase of regional format: We have legacy MFC based desktop application, our application is loading configurations/settings from a file, floating points are either comma or decimal separated. Our application was running quite nicely on Windows 10 until we updated to 1903 Build. Application takes a lot...
  10. Very slow response when opening programs and file explorer

Very slow response when opening programs and file explorer: When opening programs and shortcut to folders that are located on the task bar there is a several second delay before the program or folder opens. The delay is approx. 5 - 20 seconds. It doesn't happen all the time. I have searched the web and I used the command line SFC...