Windows 10: Extremely Slow Write Transfer Speeds

Discus and support Extremely Slow Write Transfer Speeds in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello All, Not sure if this is the place for this or not. I recently upgraded from Windows Home Server 2011 to Windows 10 Pro due to whs being limited... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Looby, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Looby Win User

Extremely Slow Write Transfer Speeds

Hello All,

Not sure if this is the place for this or not. I recently upgraded from Windows Home Server 2011 to Windows 10 Pro due to whs being limited to 8gb of RAM and causing some other issues. I am seeing EXTREMELY slow transfer speeds across my network since my upgrade and am yanking my hair out because of it. I am using Storage Spaces in parity mode which I have read can be slow but it is just unusable currently. I also read that Primocache might help with this slow write speed so I am working on a trial of PrimoCache before buying but not seeing any benefit in my application and want to see if im doing anything wrong. Basically something about the config or maybe Storage Spaces itself seems to be making write speed catastrophically low.

Im sorry this is a SUPER long post but Im trying to include everything I can think of that ive tried and that im running into.

Usage:
    • Plex
    • File Storage
    • Remote and Onsite Backup

"Server" Build:
    • Windows 10 Pro 1909 (up to date as of today and brand new install on brand new drive)
    • Gigabyte GA-880G
    • Athlon II X4 610e
    • 16GB Corsair 1333mhz
    • Samsung 860evo 250gb (OS) connected SATA to mobo
    • Samsung 860evo 250gb (primocache) 2nd drive connected SATA to mobo
    • Norco RPC-4220 Case with SAS 6GB backplanes
    • Storage Pool: (using windows storage spaces)
    • 7.24 TB running parity
    • 4 x 2TB samsung hdd (sata2) <-yes I know but I got them free
    • 2 x 2TB WD hdd black (sata3)
    • BUNCH of other HDD but they arent hooked up at the moment so they arent impacting this issue.

(ALL pooled HDDs are and currently running on an LSI SAS9223-8i card but this is being changed to 2 x LSI SAS9217-8i cards soon)

Problem:

Transferring movies and shows from main computer to server (using windows explorer and yes I know thats not the fastest in itself) and am getting between 100KB - 15MB/s. A couple of days ago I was running windows home server 2011 and was getting 100MB/s+ with exact same configuration but wanted to upgrade to a newer version of windows for more RAM and security support. I did have one brief moment the other night were I was getting ~50-53MB/s on windows 10 which while not awesome was a HECK of a lot better than 4 but that stopped after a couple hours and back down to snail speed...

I have read windows storage spaces is badfor write speeds in parity so I figured PrimoCache would be the perfect fix. When I run crystaldiskmark with cache enabled it gets 400-500MB/s and I see the cache acting as I expect but not when transferring over the network. When running crystaldiskmark with cache disabled I am still getting 80-100MB write on the server. No caching is going on for the main computer the files are coming from and im getting 150MB+ read. Yes I know that the network is limited to gigabit speed (~120MB/s) but I expect to see better than Im getting.

LOCAL copies and transfers are spectacular with cache enabled and still good with it disabled but network transfers make this setup completely unusable as is.

I have setup the PrimoCache to use the full 250GB of the one samsung SSD. 250gb of L2 cache on the 7.24TB pool in storage spaces. I then added 1GB of L1 RAM cache just for giggles. I increased that to 10GB just to see if it fixed my issues with write speed and no dice so I just dropped it back to 1GB.

PrimoCache Config:
    • L1 Cache
    • Individual Read/write enabled 40% read(410MB) / 60% write(614MB)
    • L2 Cache
    • Individual Read/write enabled 40% read(95GB) / 60% write(143GB)
    • Block Size - 512KB
    • Defer-Write Enabled
    • 300 seconds
    • Write Mode - Native
    • Free Cache on Written checked

Again I know this is crazy long but I would really appreciate any help or direction. Ive been ripping my hair out for days trying to get this stupid server up and running and am beyond frustrated.

:)

Looby, Apr 13, 2020

2. Slow write speed of transfer

My dell 7577 core I7 1050ti model has a slow transfer speed. I transferred a 5 gigabyte file to an external USB 3.1 Kingston DT50 and I got write speed of 8 MB/s. and the read speed was capped at 21 MB/s although
    I used to get at least 80 MB/s read speed. Please help!

Shady Abd El-Hady, Apr 13, 2020
  3. transfer speeds ,copying files extremely difficult

transfer speed to 3.0 usb from explorer file in pc extremely slow,worst i ever seen.all day to transfer one iso file.

CoryMarsh1, Apr 13, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Slow HDD read and write speeds

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We will require a few more information from you to help you further with the issue. Please reply with the following details:

• In which device are you facing this issue?
    • Are you using an external HDD or internal HDD?
    • Are you getting the read and write speed issue on any particular application?

However, you can Disk Defragment on your computer to optimize the drive. To run Disk Defragment please follow the steps from the article

Defragment your Windows 10 PC

Alternatively, you can check for the read and write speed of the HDD in task manager. Please follow the steps mentioned below to check the read and write speed of the hard drive:

1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc key together on the keyboard.
    2. Click on Performance tab.
    3. Click on Disk 0.
    4. You will find the Read speed and
      Write speed
      at the bottom of the window.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Apr 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Extremely Slow Write Transfer Speeds - Similar Threads - Extremely Slow Write

2. Overall download speeds are extremely slow.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Overall download speeds are extremely slow.: When I try to download games, the speeds are around 1-3mb/s, this is consistent with all the launchers I tested. When downloading files from the web, it's around 100kb/s. I did an internet test and I got around 10mb/s on both download and upload. On another pc it's 60mb/s and...
  3. Extremely slow download speeds

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Extremely slow download speeds: A few days ago I tried to download Forza Horizon 4 on my new pc from Microsoft store. After about a minute of downloading at 50 mb/s, my download speeds dropped to around 5 mb/s. I ran a speed test and am getting speeds of around 20 mb/s. Is there a way to increase download...
  4. Extremely slow internet speed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Extremely slow internet speed: When i open Task Manager it clearly says that Steam is using 50% network at 45mbps. But when i open steam the game is only downloading at 5mbps. Help please submitted by /u/Chuck-E_Cheeks [link] [comments]...
  5. Slow SSD Write Speed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Slow SSD Write Speed: Slow SSD Write Speed Windows 10 build 1909 Recently I have installed 480 GB AS340 PANTHER SATA III SSD. I was getting good Read and write speed well above 500 MB/s Read, and 300 MB/s write. But it's been one week now I am getting my writing speed throttled in a midway. From...
  6. Wireless internet extremely slow speeds

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wireless internet extremely slow speeds: Been trying to diagnose extremely slow wireless internet speeds. Windows 10 version 1809, build 17763.316. Wireless adapter is a Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 bgn Adapter. Using linetest.nz shows an average download speed of approx. 1-1.5mbps, sometimes as high as 5, or as low...
  7. Slow write speed of transfer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow write speed of transfer: My dell 7577 core I7 1050ti model has a slow transfer speed. I transferred a 5 gigabyte file to an external USB 3.1 Kingston DT50 and I got write speed of 8 MB/s. and the read speed was capped at 21 MB/s although I used to get at least 80 MB/s read speed. Please help!...
  8. Slow write speed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow write speed: Hi, best wishes for 2019! I've noticed lately that my writing speed is quite low. I mean when I copy/paste a large file from one disk to another, or from one disk to an USB external HDD. Things I tried already: - Disk Cleanup - Ccleaner - DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image...
  9. Extremely slow intranet file transfer speed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Extremely slow intranet file transfer speed: Windows 10 Pro Build: 1709 OS Build: 16299.309 I have three pc's on my home network. One had windows 10 from the factory the other two were Win 7 and 8.1 and all were experiencing 70-90MB/sec file transfer speeds. My internet was and still is 60MB/sec. After upgrading to...
  10. File Transfer Speed Extremely Low

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File Transfer Speed Extremely Low: Hi. I was trying to copy a 2gb file over to another folder, and the transfer speed dropped down to kilobytes or even bytes per second. Sometimes, however, it wildly fluctuates all over the place - from 4KB/s to 50MB/s. How can I fix this? Thanks. 76291