Windows 10: "f" key is not working - rebound to some other function

Discus and support "f" key is not working - rebound to some other function in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; The "f" key on my laptop's keyboard has stopped working. Now, whenever I press that key it functions similar to the 'tab' key, highlighting different... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by n.bol, Jun 21, 2021.

1. n.bol Win User

"f" key is not working - rebound to some other function

The "f" key on my laptop's keyboard has stopped working. Now, whenever I press that key it functions similar to the 'tab' key, highlighting different objects within the window I'm in.This problem started at random - I haven't installed any new software, and my Windows is up to date. Restarting my laptop doesn't help.I also noticed that when I open command prompt and press the "f" key on my keyboard, the symbol "^Z" shows up. I'm not sure what this means but it certainly isn't an "f".Would anyone know how to solve this problem? I have to copy and paste that letter to type properly.

:)

n.bol, Jun 21, 2021

2. 1215N function keys not working?

Doesn't list it for the 1215N *Frown "f" key is not working - rebound to some other function :(

Funny part all the keys work out of the box with Linux Mint, go figure.

Tried the one on softpedia, doesn't seem to work.

Any other model that I can take it from?

speedy11131, Jun 21, 2021
  3. Function Key Not Working

Hi Kyle,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the F key on your device. We will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • Form when are you facing this issue and have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps have you performed?

If you are using external keyboard, I suggest you to connect the keyboard to different port and to different computer and check if it is working fine.

This will help us to know if the issue is with port/ computer the keyboard is connected to or the keyboard it self.

If you are using laptop keyboard, try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter it
    checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter.

Step 2: Update the keyboard drivers.

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Keyboard.
    • Right click on the Keyboard driver
      and click on Update driver software
    • Restart the computer.

Hope it helps. Try the above and het back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 21, 2021
  4. Rocks Win User

Function keys won't work w/o hitting Fn key also

So how do I get to BIOS + what do I do when I get there? The keyboard came with the new computer. Not impressed with any of it + especially Windows 10. The function keys clearly have their use listed on the key, but they won't work w/o the Fn key. That's definitely not right.

Rocks, Jun 21, 2021
Thema:

1. "f" key is not working - rebound to some other function - Similar Threads - key working rebound

2. F key releasing with other key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    F key releasing with other key: When I press F key with another key and then release the other key, F key releases as well, but I dont release it. I updated drivers, restarted pc, nothing seems to work....
  3. F key releasing with other key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    F key releasing with other key: When I press F key with another key and then release the other key, F key releases as well, but I dont release it. I updated drivers, restarted pc, nothing seems to work....
  4. Some keys are not functioning.

Some keys are not functioning.: I have tried resetting, rebooting, and reinstalling drivers, but yet nothing works. My I key, my U key, and my seven and eight keys have stopped functioning after seemingly no outward stimuli. They will stop functioning altogether And intermittently start working again if I...
  5. FN key got rebound

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FN key got rebound: HelloMy FN key got rebound to my E key somehow on my MSI Laptop. I have looked in my computer settings, tried updating drivers, I have tried updating my windows 11, I have tried rebinding it in my laptops keyboard software. I am not sure what else to do since it says it's all...
  6. FN key got rebound

FN key got rebound: HelloMy FN key got rebound to my E key somehow on my MSI Laptop. I have looked in my computer settings, tried updating drivers, I have tried updating my windows 11, I have tried rebinding it in my laptops keyboard software. I am not sure what else to do since it says it's all...
  7. F key functions

in Windows 10 Customization
    F key functions: I've been using COREL DRAW from the first addition. "ZOOM" in and out functions were controlled by using the F2, F3 & F4 buttons while in the program. Lightening destroyed my old Windows 7 and 10 computers. The new ones.... F keys open internet or advertising or puts the...
  8. Some of my function keys are not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Some of my function keys are not working: Hello,After installing the recent update for Windows 10, I've noticed some problems with my function keys. Specifically, the mute key F1 automatically opens a new tab displaying help and support from whichever Internet browser I use, and the increase volume key F3...
  9. Loss of few F-key functions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Loss of few F-key functions: My Toshiba Satellite C55-A laptop is several years old; I have had it at least since 2013. Until a few years ago, every key functioned as it was supposed to, but now two of my F-keys no longer work. It has no F-Lock key but does have an FN key without a light, in case anyone...
  10. switching f# keys function

in Windows 10 Customization
    switching f# keys function: so I'm using a Microsoft surface 3 and i need to switch the functions of the f1, f2, f3, etc. buttons and I've tried BIOS, the mobility center and the keyboard control panel, to no avail. any suggestions? i never use these keys except in cases of gaming, and i cant because...