Windows 10: F1 key does not work when inside any application

Discus and support F1 key does not work when inside any application in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I just installed dual boot Ubuntu 18.04 with Windows. Now when I am in Windows and I have applications running and am inside an application i.e. the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BrianWiley23, Mar 30, 2020.

1. F1 key does not work when inside any application

I just installed dual boot Ubuntu 18.04 with Windows. Now when I am in Windows and I have applications running and am inside an application i.e. the focus should be on that application for example Word or R Studio and I press F1 which is hotkey for help in that particular application, Windows always open Microsoft Edge. So it always thinks the focus is on the desktop. Any way to fix this. I find it baffling that I cannot find anything exactly like this when searching for help on Google.

DISCLAIMER:

I do not want to disable F1 key. Please do not post answer that includes this. I need responses about why I can't get Windows to focus particularly on the current application. I already tried to reboot.

:)

BrianWiley23, Mar 30, 2020
  2. DaveM121 Win User

f1 key doesnt working

Hi srinathA94

The F1 key in most Windows Applications is the Help key

If F1 does not work, try Fn + F1

Please note most Help content is online nowadays, so you must be connected for that button to work . . .

If you are having some other difficulty with this button, please let me know . . .

DaveM121, Mar 30, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Volume connected with f1- can't get it to work

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to help you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps, we would like to know the details requested below:

• When you say, “the volume wont work its connected to the f1 key” are you not able to get sound on your computer?
    • Which update was installed on the computer? To check go to
      Start >> Settings >> Update & Security >> Windows Update >> View update history.
    • Which build version of Windows 10 is installed on the computer? To check type: winver in the search bar on the Taskbar and hit Enter.
    • What is the make and model of the computer?

Ideally, the F1 key is used as the help key in most of the programs. It opens a help screen when the F1 key is pressed.

Meanwhile, you may want to try the steps mentioned below:

If you are trying to use the F1 key to control volume on the computer, you may want to press
    Fn key + F1 and see if that helps.

However, if you do not get sound on your computer, I would suggest you to refer the steps mentioned in the article

Fix sound problems in Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Mar 30, 2020
  4. Erika Aro Win User

F1 key does not work when inside any application

The f1 key and the f2 key do not work

Thank you for the information. We are a support that provides available resources only that are present to all users. We suggest following the steps on the links provided to troubleshoot your keyboard. We'd like to verify if other function keys are working.

Keep us posted after performing the troubleshooting steps.

Erika Aro, Mar 30, 2020
Thema:

F1 key does not work when inside any application

1. F1 key does not work when inside any application - Similar Threads - key does inside

2. F1 to F12 keys are not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    F1 to F12 keys are not working: I have a dell letitude E7450 laptop. I have a minor issue with the laptop that my any F key is not working properly. all keys are properly working no any hardware issue but the issue is that when I press any F4 key my mic turns off but when I press Alt+F4 power menu does not...
  3. F1 not working but other Function keys do.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    F1 not working but other Function keys do.: I have a ISY IGK-4000 TKL keyboard if that helps. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/f1-not-working-but-other-function-keys-do/45c88cc6-c47f-4b84-8486-57bb9a5c6f2d
  4. F1 not working but other Function keys do.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    F1 not working but other Function keys do.: I have a ISY IGK-4000 TKL keyboard if that helps. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/f1-not-working-but-other-function-keys-do/45c88cc6-c47f-4b84-8486-57bb9a5c6f2d
  5. laptop f1 - f12 keys not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    laptop f1 - f12 keys not working: my function keys on my laptop are not working properly. my f5 is for keyboard lighting, but works as refreshing a webpage or windows screen. I've tried updating drivers, restarting multiple times, nothing seems to work. can anyone suggest a solution to this problem please....
  6. F1 key to F12 key is not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    F1 key to F12 key is not working: Good evening! May I know why is my F1 key to F12 key is not working? Thank you ! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/f1-key-to-f12-key-is-not-working/e5e086aa-c535-4f10-8cd6-d5fcb21afe50
  7. Function keys F1 F2 F3 not working

Function keys F1 F2 F3 not working: Why did my function keys F1, F2 and F3 stop working? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/function-keys-f1-f2-f3-not-working/c238fe31-93f2-4022-ba27-f3f3fa55f55a
  8. F1-F12 funtion keys are not working.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    F1-F12 funtion keys are not working.: Dell Inspirion LT, WIN 10 Home 64bit Ver 1909. Anyone had this issue? HELP please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/f1-f12-funtion-keys-are-not-working/544ce7be-fcdd-4a59-b24f-f8da6e06ca2b
  9. f1 key doesnt working

f1 key doesnt working: I have hp 250 G6 lap windows10. Here the f1 help key is not working, so how it is work? can you please inform details about this??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/f1-key-doesnt-working/6cbb396f-5265-4bca-b903-6e6f448c9db3
  10. caps, number two key, and F1 not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    caps, number two key, and F1 not working: this happen in June I believe first it start off with the caps key then off to the number two key and then F1 key. those keys work on the on screen keyboard but doesn't work when im trying to click on them tried to fix it but failed any suggestions on how to fix them without...