Windows 10: F4 closing window.

Discus and support F4 closing window. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Just pressing F4 is closing a window and that is problematic when I want to press 4 but I accidentally mistype and press F4 closing the window. How do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ratatattatat, Sep 24, 2020.

1. F4 closing window.

Just pressing F4 is closing a window and that is problematic when I want to press 4 but I accidentally mistype and press F4 closing the window. How do I make it so that only Alt-F4 will close a window and not just F4 itself.

:)

ratatattatat, Sep 24, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

Alt-F4 change back to close window

Alt+F4 will shut down whatever app/window currently has focus. If that is a window for an app then that app will close, bringing up it's closing dialog if needed (eg Notepad's 'Do you want to save changes.....?' prompt).

But if you first click on an empty part of your Desktop or Taskbar before using Alt+F4 then the 'app' that currently has focus is the Windows UI (user interface) - and asking that to close down will bring up the Windows UI closing dialog....

F4 closing window. [​IMG]

So just make sure that you have clicked on the window that you want to close before using Alt+F4 and it should work as you expect.

3. DTG1 Win User
    Alt-F4 change back to close window

Idk what happened to alt-f4 that it changed to shut down/change user menu, but I want it back as close window. I dont want to use AHK just for 1 hotkey, and afaik win10 does not have a way to change/edit windows hotkeys without editing the registry. So, what can i do to edit the F-keys to change or create shortcuts? (like changing alt-f4 back to close window)

4. F4 closing window.

Alt F4 does not close a window

I just unpacked my brand new Microsoft surface pro today and find that I cannot close a window using alt F4. I find this very irritating... Brand new ms machine and the kbd driver doesn't work properly???

EdwinBoender, Sep 24, 2020
Thema:

F4 closing window.

1. F4 closing window. - Similar Threads - closing window

2. I can't activate Windows and I'm not being called, yet all tickets are closed "resolved"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't activate Windows and I'm not being called, yet all tickets are closed "resolved": Hi,This FEBRUARY I had a critical error concerning stornvme.sys after upgrading the firmware of my GPU.PC failed to boot past BIOS leaving me unable to boot into safemode or return to a previous confirmed image and as a last resort I reinstalled Windows 10. I immediately...
  3. I can't activate Windows and I'm not being called, yet all tickets are closed "resolved"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't activate Windows and I'm not being called, yet all tickets are closed "resolved": Hi,This FEBRUARY I had a critical error concerning stornvme.sys after upgrading the firmware of my GPU.PC failed to boot past BIOS leaving me unable to boot into safemode or return to a previous confirmed image and as a last resort I reinstalled Windows 10. I immediately...
  4. Programs and installations close right after start please help Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Programs and installations close right after start please help Windows 11: Could be related to the recent update, but I don't have any idea.I have no antivirus, things I have tried:*Restarting PC.*Running as administrator.*Turning off Firewall/Windows Defender.*Allowing download and installation besides Microsoft Store.*Unblocking the...
  5. Programs and installations close right after start please help Windows 11

Programs and installations close right after start please help Windows 11: Could be related to the recent update, but I don't have any idea.I have no antivirus, things I have tried:*Restarting PC.*Running as administrator.*Turning off Firewall/Windows Defender.*Allowing download and installation besides Microsoft Store.*Unblocking the...
  6. App closes when I press the Windows key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    App closes when I press the Windows key: This happens mainly with games for me because in some games I can't toggle between the monitors so I've been using the Windows key to do so for almost 2 years but today it started minimising the game from the screen but ofc it was still open . I just had to open it again from...
  7. App closes when I press the Windows key

App closes when I press the Windows key: This happens mainly with games for me because in some games I can't toggle between the monitors so I've been using the Windows key to do so for almost 2 years but today it started minimising the game from the screen but ofc it was still open . I just had to open it again from...
  8. Windows 11: Open command prompt, goes black for 1-2 seconds and then immediately closes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11: Open command prompt, goes black for 1-2 seconds and then immediately closes: Having an issue when opening command prompt by default. It will open and then immediately close after 1-2 seconds.I can however bypass the issue by simply running the command prompt as administrator, and a terminal will open.https://imgur.com/a/MtigLzCThings I've tried:-- SFC...
  9. Windows 11: Open command prompt, goes black for 1-2 seconds and then immediately closes

Windows 11: Open command prompt, goes black for 1-2 seconds and then immediately closes: Having an issue when opening command prompt by default. It will open and then immediately close after 1-2 seconds.I can however bypass the issue by simply running the command prompt as administrator, and a terminal will open.https://imgur.com/a/MtigLzCThings I've tried:-- SFC...
  10. If i close my Microsoft account, will my automatic Windows 10 updates to my PC stop?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    If i close my Microsoft account, will my automatic Windows 10 updates to my PC stop?: If i close my Microsoft account, will my automatic Windows 10 updates to my PC stop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-i-close-my-microsoft-account-will-my-automatic/841cb1a7-5bad-41f9-a22d-8f9691f23f98