Windows 10: F8 Boot Menu Partition Questions

Discus and support F8 Boot Menu Partition Questions in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Okay, I have decided to get ready to remove my pesky 4.88GB Windows 8.1 Partition (partition 5) from my PC because now I have Windows 10 and no longer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by DDroid, Nov 3, 2015.

1. DDroid Win User

F8 Boot Menu Partition Questions

Okay, I have decided to get ready to remove my pesky 4.88GB Windows 8.1 Partition (partition 5) from my PC because now I have Windows 10 and no longer have the option to go back. I have used a Command in the Elevated Command Prompt to enable the F8 boot menu as a substitute to the manufacturers boot menu (Press Esc.) I know the boot menu by the manufacturer will be removed with the (partition 5) too. I have also found that the WinRE is on a different partition (partition 4), and so my question is... If I delete the manufacturers partition (p 5), will the F8 menu also be gone as well? It seems the F8 menu was put there by windows and not the manufacturer, but is it on partition 5 or is it on the same one as the WinRE partition (p 4)?

:)

DDroid, Nov 3, 2015
  2. planmanb Win User

How do i reinstall AT&T Communications Manager?

There is a partition on the HDD that is the factory restore. You can restore the booklet to factory unless you did a clean install and wiped out the partition. When it's booting up press F8, and repair.

planmanb, Nov 3, 2015
  3. Windows 10 installation via USB on newly self-assembled PC fails

The error means it is bypassing the media and trying to boot the hard drive.

The device "KDI-MSFT Windows 10 PMAP" that's set first to boot @16gb is your flash stick. So what's missing is Windows Boot Manager. But it may not be invoked until you partition the hard drive from the booted media.

I see there that the Boot Menu is F8, so you want to power up the PC while pressing the F8 key, trigger the flash stick from that Menu.

If it continues to error go back to the Main screen and choose the F5 Reset to Default, then Save and Exit, try again.

How was the media created? Use only the Media Creation tool to create the media. Test the media in another PC to make sure it boots.

If you have known-good media that won't boot on default settings in Setup, then contact the Motherboard manufacturer for Support which is included in its purchase.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Nov 3, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

From an elevated command prompt ("run as administrator" command prompt), type bcdedit /enum

The first entry will tell you which partition the BCD (boot files) are located on. If the BCD is on the partition you want to delete, you will have to establish the BCD on another partition first and mark that partition as active.

NavyLCDR, Nov 3, 2015
  5. DDroid Win User
    Okay, Does this mean it's on the first partition? And yes I set the Boot Menu to Legacy here to replace the Manufacturers way!
    F8 Boot Menu Partition Questions [​IMG]

DDroid, Nov 3, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    That's what it looks like to me. Your first partition is probably a small 100 - 350mb partition that contains boot files only - if that is the case then you should be safe to delete the 5th partition without affecting booting.

NavyLCDR, Nov 3, 2015
  7. DDroid Win User
    Here is the partition. (PLEASE IGNORE DISK 2 SAYING "BAD DISK" I am running the Windows 10 Installation Media) So the F8 Boot Menu is in the First Partition?

DDroid, Nov 3, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Yes!

NavyLCDR, Nov 3, 2015
  9. DDroid Win User
    Hooray! JUST TO MAKE 100000000% sure! It is super duper ultra really? Finally i can get more space!!

DDroid, Nov 3, 2015
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    BTW - the Windows 8.1 recovery contained in that partition could still be used after the 30 days upgrade to Windows 10, if you did want to go back.

NavyLCDR, Nov 3, 2015
  11. DDroid Win User
    Oh, I upgraded 2 months ago LOL. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!! You are the best!

DDroid, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. F8 Boot Menu Partition Questions - Similar Threads - Boot Menu Partition

2. Partition Question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partition Question: Hello, I have a 2TB HDD and when I partitioned it I ended up making one that should be a little bit larger. One of the other partitions has plenty of extra capacity but I tried Disk Management and Aomei Partition Master and neither allow me to make an existing Partition...
  3. Partition Question

in Windows 10 Customization
    Partition Question: Hello, I have a 2TB HDD and when I partitioned it I ended up making one that should be a little bit larger. One of the other partitions has plenty of extra capacity but I tried Disk Management and Aomei Partition Master and neither allow me to make an existing Partition...
  4. Partition question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Partition question: Does my drive look partitioned correctly? looks strange to me. *Confused [img] 168130
  5. Partitions and Boot menu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Partitions and Boot menu: What I would like to know does the bios create the boot menu and partitions or is it the operating system or a bit of both 136847
  6. Partitions and Boot menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Partitions and Boot menu: What I would like to know does the bios create the boot menu and partitions or is it the operating system or a bit of both 136847
  7. Macrium Boot Menu Question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Boot Menu Question: I am using MR Free V7.2.3957 to do system images and have invoked the Boot Menu option. I have had to use this option to restore my system before with no problems. I looked at my Rescue Media settings and it shows "Windows PE10 Release 1607'. But when I hit 'winver', I'm on...
  8. Windows 10 Boot Menu Question

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Boot Menu Question: I installed Windows 10 on Drive D with the plan to replace my Windows 7 installation on Drive C once I get all my programs fully installed and configured on the new Windows 10 install. I'm nearly there now, but I still need to keep the old Windows 7 install as a bootable...
  9. Boot partition listed twice in boot menu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Boot partition listed twice in boot menu: I have windows 7, 8 and 10 dual boot. I decided to set 7 as the boot drive after having 10 and when I did, the boot menu and MSConfig both list 7 twice on the same partition and I cannot find Boot.ini. How do I get rid of the second listing of 7 in the boot menu? [img]...
  10. Questions about Windows 10 .....F8 Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Questions about Windows 10 .....F8 Menu: Once before I had the pretty blue (F8) menu come up when I booted. But i don't remember how...I did find the articles here but a screenshot of bcdedit does not make sense.... Can someone have a look for me..... Thanks.......... 71206