Windows 10: facebook forces f-secure download

Discus and support facebook forces f-secure download in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Guys, I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to post this but since this is security related, it might be somewhat correct. Anyway, I logged to my... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by jaypels, Feb 29, 2016.

1. jaypels Win User

facebook forces f-secure download

Guys, I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to post this but since this is security related, it might be somewhat correct. Anyway, I logged to my Facebook account and before I could get to my newsfeed, I have a notification from Facebook stating that my system is compromised and I need to download F-secure before I could proceed. Now, I am fairly certain my system it virus/malware free (I have a trio of Kaspersky IS, Malwarebytes and Ccleaner keeping my system in tiptop shape).

Anyone encountered the same problem and how did you fix it?

:)

jaypels, Feb 29, 2016
  2. SR_N8 Win User

F-Secure coming with Belle -How to remove?

Hi Loureiro!

I found "Mobile Security" in the installed apps, details hsow that it is a F-Secure Version 6.60(16462) but it can't be uninstalled still. Tried several times but always ends with "Removal failed" message... I'm sure most people don't like then they are forced
    to use something forcibly... I have nothing against F-Secure but never used it and find no need to start using it now. Even if it would be the best or last app available in universe I would have deleted immediately if forced to use it in such way... IMHO Nokia
    and F-Secure marketing guys should do they home work and study some psychology before promoting in such unpleasant way....

SR_N8, Feb 29, 2016
  3. timkamat Win User
    F secure

You can Uninstall f secure.Maybe it is running in the background and that is the problem. Some apps keep running in the background and you Cant get to see them running.Install any file manager apps like netqin mobile guard and check for apps running in
    the background.If f secure is one of them close it and disable it from being auto start.Now try Uninstalling from applications manager.

timkamat, Feb 29, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hmmm...I just logged into FB and didn't have that happen. Are you sure the site you logged into was not spoofed?

simrick, Feb 29, 2016
  5. jaypels Win User
    It is not spoofed. I tried to log in via incognito and the problem is not there. weird. I did a scan with Kaspersky IS and Malwarebytes and cleaned via Ccleaner and encountered no problems. Also tried to google the problem and lots of people encountered the same problem.

jaypels, Feb 29, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    You're right - it's all over the web. Wow. For some reason FB must be picking up something in your browser - a false positive of some sort? I would think if you have a clean bill of health from Kaspersky and MBAM, it must be a FP. You could try running an ESET Online Scan just to be sure, I guess. Have to disable Kaspersky while running it. Weird!

simrick, Feb 29, 2016
  7. Facebook never forces any antivirus or other software on people! FB scam highly probable! The link could be bogus where you would end up seeing some forms of malwares passed along with things like trojan downloaders if not a scam to get you to buy a fake program! Had someone run into one a few years back where once the link was clicked on a single bug downloaded fake harmless trojans at the same time taking over the Task manager seeing that made unavailable. The scam was to make you believe you had to buy the fakeware in order to get the four fake trojans off of your system! Facebook has also been seeing similar gimic scams to be on the watch for!

On review of a similar thread found on the actual F-Secure forums the F-Secure Online Scanner was advised to be run especially if you clicked on anything and was told you were infected without realizing it. F-Secure Online Scanner | Clean your PC for free

The thread can be looked over at Facebook F-Secure malware scanner - F-Secure Community - 72372

One thing I can state openly is that unless someone posts a link to a download site and anything not sponsored as well is to be considered suspect and avoided! Malware writers however love to spring traps on those who would generally not be aware of what to watch out for! They get pretty clever at concealment at times even for the more experienced user to be aware of!

Night Hawk, Feb 29, 2016
  8. snoopy51 Win User

jaypels:

Please check out your system completely and make you are up-to-date with every software installed. I just tried with 4 different browsers, Firefox, Chrome, IE 11 and Edge. No F-Secure download message or any AV download message what so ever!

The link is most likely download something other than F-Secure. Just stay away from that link and be very careful.

snoopy51, Feb 29, 2016
  9. It's fakeware and you may have already been compromised by it since you did see the prompting for downloading what would prove to scamware or a nasty malware! The thing you need to at this would be to run a full system sweep and even try bringing up the Task manager to verify a bug hasn't already been placed on the system there.

The other possible explanation would be an indication that the account itself was hacked to dupe you into the scamware explaining why you not simply arriving at the timeline home page instead. Somehow it appears you were already bugged.

Night Hawk, Feb 29, 2016
  10. jaypels Win User
    Just an update: I can open my Facebook account if I use Chrome in Incognito Mode. Also, I tried using Firefox and I can log in just fine. So the problem seems to be isolated in Google Chrome. Will do a full system sweep again later in the afternoon. My main protection against the nasty stuff is Kaspersky IS and MBAM. Any software recommendation to add to my arsenal?

jaypels, Mar 1, 2016
  11. simrick Win User
    Yeah, like I said, it's probably a FP (false positive); something to do with the add-ons you have in Chrome, or the way it's setup. Perhaps a reset of the browser might resolve it. I think you're good with KIS+MBAM.

simrick, Mar 1, 2016
  12. jaypels Win User
    It seems so. Will try to disable my extensions one by one later to find out the real culprit. I'll update you guys. Thanks!

jaypels, Mar 1, 2016
  13. simrick Win User

Sounds good. Would be nice to know exactly what's causing it.

simrick, Mar 1, 2016
  14. Here I use VIPRE Internet Security now updated to the 2016 build and never run into that type of crub on FB at least while out on the web VIPRE's firewall and the web filtering seen with that block suspect sites. I don't think Malwarebytes and Kaspersky are quite doing the job for you while this stuff is geared to get past most system protections you can think of by just how the coding is worked out to be cleverly hidden.

Addons are typically opening doors up for exploits which is likely what you have there! Lately Chrome has been getting some negative reviews in that area as well. Running with the 44.02 FF presently while I ran with the Waterfox and Cyberfox variants without running into that type of problem. The laptop that got hit a few years back with VIPRE on that as well saw Chrome installed by one of the kids as the parent complained about. The father won't loan his out and the laptop got snared with scamware! All the kid had to do was click on the wrong thing and whamo! "Saw ya comin'! he he he he he he..." all the way to the bank!

Night Hawk, Mar 1, 2016
  15. jaypels Win User
    Update: I only have 3 extensions namely Adblock, Google Docs, and Ublock Origin. I deleted the three, and tried logging in and still no dice. So those three extensions are back on Chrome.

If all else fails, I will try Vipre. The thing is, I just renewed my KIS so my money would go down the drain.

jaypels, Mar 1, 2016
Thema:

1. facebook forces f-secure download - Similar Threads - facebook forces secure

2. Facebook video download

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Facebook video download: How can I download video in facebook https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/facebook-video-download/025f488f-f565-4607-a4d8-a4ecb0a7e9ca
  3. Facebook Gameroom download

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Facebook Gameroom download: I have tryed after uninstalled it the first time to install the app again. All i get is that's its unable to verify the app and will not download it. Need it back on my computer tonight....
  4. Facebook Messenger Download

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Facebook Messenger Download: Hi, So I have been trying to download Facebook Messenger on my Windows 10 Microsoft App Store, and everytime I click install, it says "Try again. There's a problem on our end. Waiting a bit might help." Also, I want to let you know that this is a school laptop,...
  5. Can't download Facebook

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can't download Facebook: I want to know why I can't download Facebook on this PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-download-facebook/91aa5c37-fa76-404a-bbc8-9a714f087354
  6. F secure safe for free

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    F secure safe for free: I have just changed my tv, home phone and broadband package from Sky to a brand new cable from Virgin Media. I am currently using Windows Security for frequent full scans and offline scans at least once a week, and also Malwarebytes free for weekly scans. My WIFI is turned...
  7. download facebook video without signing into facebook?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    download facebook video without signing into facebook?: download facebook video without signing into facebook? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/download-facebook-video-without-signing-into/5cd172c7-0eec-4b7c-87c2-59208ba7d60e
  8. Facebook Designing Security for Billions

in Windows 10 News
    Facebook Designing Security for Billions: [ATTACH] By Collin Greene, Manager of Product Security Billions of people use Facebook to connect with the people who matter to them. We have a responsibility to build secure services that help keep people safe. At Facebook we take what’s called a “defense-in-depth”...
  9. Can't download Facebook Gameroom, Microsoft blocks it for security reasons Say it is a virous

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't download Facebook Gameroom, Microsoft blocks it for security reasons Say it is a virous: I tried to log into Facebook Game room this morning and there was a message saying my farm was at risk due to Google Chrome technical problems. So I uninstalled Google Chrome and started using Microsoft edge as my default browser. Know when I try to down load Facebook Game...
  10. Facebook Update on the Security Issue

in Windows 10 News
    Facebook Update on the Security Issue: We have been working around the clock to investigate the security issue we discovered and fixed two weeks ago so we can help people understand what information the attackers may have accessed. Today, we’re sharing details about the attack we’ve found that exploited this...