Windows 10: Factory recovery - Create a Custom Recovery Partition

Discus and support Factory recovery - Create a Custom Recovery Partition in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Factory recovery - Create a Custom Recovery Partition [img] Information Most computers today with OEM pre-installed Windows come with a so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cluster Head, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Factory recovery - Create a Custom Recovery Partition

How to: Factory recovery - Create a Custom Recovery Partition

Factory recovery - Create a Custom Recovery Partition [​IMG]
    Information Most computers today with OEM pre-installed Windows come with a so called Factory recovery partition. This partition allows users to restore Windows 10 to it's original state, as it was when shipped from the factory.

Although a practical feature, restoring Windows to its original state from manufacturer recovery partition means just that, restoring PC to its original state with all OEM bloatware and all possible trial software, Windows being not updated and so on.

I prefer formatting OEM recovery partition and using that space to create my own instead. I setup a pre-installed Windows or clean install it, update fully, install software as I prefer and create user accounts, and before starting to use Windows I capture the Windows image to a custom install.wim file and use it in setting up my own custom "factory recovery" partition.

When restoring Windows from this custom recovery partition, Windows is updated (as it was when image was captured), containing all pre-installed software, user accounts and user data, device drivers, custom settings like themes and so on.

This tutorial will show how to create your own custom recovery partition. The method is easy and relatively fast.

Contents [/i] Click links to jump to any part

[table][tr][td]Part One:[/td] [td]Capture Windows image[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Part Two:[/td] [td]Prepare Recovery partition[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Part Three:[/td] [td]Add Recovery partition to boot menu[/td] [/tr] [/table]

Part One [/i] Capture Windows image
    Note Please notice: steps 1.1 through 1.3 are not required if your Windows 10 is already fully updated, all software is installed, user accounts created and Windows customized as you want to have it.
    1.1) Update Windows fully

1.2) Create user accounts and install software you want to be included in Windows recovery image

1.3) Customize Windows as you'd prefer, changing theme and other settings to your liking

1.4) When done, boot computer from Windows install media, When the Windows Setup region and keyboard selection screen is shown, press SHIFT + F10 to open Command Prompt:

1.5) Type DISKPART (#1 in next screenshot) and hit Enter to start the disk partitioning utility

1.6) When booting from Windows install media, drive letters might be different from what they are when booting normally. Enter the command LIST VOL (#2) to check partition letters

1.7) We need to capture the Windows partition and save that captured install.wim file on another partition (internal or external drive) or on a shared network folder. Check what temporary drive letter your Windows system partition has, in my case now it is D: drive (#3). In case you are saving the captured image to another partition on the same PC, check its drive letter, too. In this example case I could have chosen drive E: (#4) as the location to save the captured Windows image, but instead I will save captured image on a network share

1.8) Enter command EXIT to quit DISKPART (#5)

1.9) This step is optional, only required if you want to save captured image on a network share

In this example now, I want to store the captured image on a shared network folder on another computer. To do that, I need first to initialize networking services with the command wpeinit (#6), then map the shared folder on that PC to a drive letter on the local computer.

Path to a network share is told as \\server\share where server is the name of the computer where shared drive or folder is located, and share is the name that drive or folder is shared with. In my case I have shared a folder on computer AGM-W10PRO03, named the share as Storage, so the path is \\AGM-W10PRO03\Storage.

For this example, I’ll map the shared network folder as drive Z: using the following command, entering network credentials (username and password to \\server) when prompted (#7):

net use Z: \\agm-w10pro03\storage

1.10) Now I can capture Windows to a custom WIM file with DISM. The switch /imagefile: followed by a path and filename tells the DISM command where to save the captured Windows image, in my case now I want to save image as install.wim on mapped network drive Z:. Switch /capturedir: followed by the drive letter, colon and backslash tells DISM which drive contains the Windows installation I want to capture, drive D: in this example case. Change these according to your needs.

The command to capture image (#8):

dism /capture-image /imagefile:Z:\install.wim /capturedirFactory recovery - Create a Custom Recovery Partition :D:\ /name:"Recovery" /description:"My Custom Recovery Image" /compress:maximum

(Click to enlarge.)

Note EDIT:

Please notice that the DISM command in above screenshot is missing the /description:"My Custom Recovery Image" switch. Without it, the image will be captured OK, but it might not work when trying to use it for system recovery.

I very strongly recommend adding the /Description switch to your DISM command to avoid any issues when recovery image is needed.
    1.10) When done, close Command Prompt, close Windows Setup region selection window. Windows will restart, let computer boot normally to Windows

Part Two [/i] Prepare Recovery partition
    2.1) Create a new partition on any internal HDD or SSD by shrinking an existing one (tutorial) or using unallocated space, name it as Recovery.

Partition size (my recommendation) should be the size of your custom captured install.wim + 1 GB, rounded up to next full GB. For instance, if your custom install.wim is 6.2 GB, adding 1 GB makes 7.2 GB. Round it up to 8 GB (8,192 MB) for Recovery partition

2.2) Mount Windows 10 ISO (same version & build as the captured Windows image) as virtual DVD drive (right click ISO image, select Mount). Copy its content to your new Recovery drive

2.3) On your Recovery drive, browse to Sources folder and delete install.wim, or install.esd file in case your ISO was made using Windows Media Creation Tool. Replace the deleted WIM or ESD file by copying your custom install.wim to same folder

Part Three [/i] Add Recovery partition to boot menu
    3.1) Copy following batch code, paste it to a new Notepad text file or any other text editor:

Code:
    Alternatively, you can download the above batch file here: Recovery.bat

Remember to unblock the downloaded batch file before using it (tutorial)!

3.2) The batch file is for UEFI based machines with GPT partitioned HDD / SSD. If your PC is a BIOS based system with MBR formatted disk, change winload.efi in line 21 to winload.exe (highlighted blue in above batch sample)

3.3) Save the file as a batch file with extension .bat, for instance as recovery.bat

3.4) Open an elevated Command Prompt, run the batch giving full path. For instance, if you saved it as recovery.bat in Scripts folder on drive E:, enter following command:

E:\Scripts\recovery.bat

3.5) The batch file will be run, ask you the drive letter to Recovery partition you created, and set up the recovery environment adding it to boot menu

(Click to enlarge.)

That's it! You have now Recovery option in boot menu. Selecting it, Windows Setup is run and you can clean install Windows 10, your custom image restoring it to the exact state it was when custom image was created. Everything will be there, from your custom desktop theme to user accounts and software already installed.

Tip If your system disk crashes and no boot menu is shown, you can do recovery from your custom recovery partition by booting from Windows install media and running Windows Setup manually from recovery partition.

For instance, if your recovery partition has drive letter F:, start Command Prompt with SHIFT + F10 when Windows Setup shows the region selection screen, then enter following command:

F:\Setup.exe

Windows Setup will be run from your custom recovery partition.
    Happy recovery *Smile

Kari

:)

Cluster Head, Mar 15, 2016
  2. Anusha Win User

How To: Create recovery partition.

it worked when i copied all the files of the disk to the recovery partition i created, but i had to use WinPE tab to add the entry.

Type: WIM Image (Ramdisk)
    Name: Recovery
    Path: Z:\Sources\boot.wim
    and hit Add Entry
    I tried it in VirtualBox and it worked.
    At first, it would add a second "Windows 7" entry to the list, but when the installation is finished, the old one is deleted. (I formatted only C: partition)

Anusha, Oct 27, 2019
  3. vgkfan83 Win User
    Factory recovery - Create a Custom Recovery Partition  

@Kari

Here's the Properties of my C drive and my Recovery Drive just in case you wanted that one too. . lol

vgkfan83, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Kari Win User

Note: other members might object the following recommendation. It is only my personal, subjective opinion about what you should do.

Having checked that your DVD recovery set works, store the disks in a safe place. Format the current recovery partition, NTFS file system, and assign it a drive ID letter, then use it to create your own Windows 10 recovery media on that partition as told in this tutorial.

One minor thing, not an issue but something you might want to do: You told that the current recovery partition is 25 GB. It is at least 5 to 10 GB bigger than needed for your own recovery media. If you want to free the unused space, you can shrink that partition when your recovery media is created and you can see how much space is needed.

However, usually those recovery partitions are last on the disk. You cannot shrink a partition "backwards" with native Windows Disk Management tool, in other words free space on it to give more space for partition before it. For that you must use a third party partitioning tool like MiniTool Partition Wizard.

Following the instructions in tutorial step by step, the procedure is really easy, straight forward.

5. Solaris17 Win User
    How To: Create recovery partition.

For awhile I had been wondering how to create a recovery partition to reinstall windows without the need do find my thumb drive or disk, or hell burn another. With that in mind i figured others would also like to know. Therefor I have created this Video (720P processing of vid can take upto 30min from orig post date stamp, quality will improve) and thread on how to create a BASIC recovery partition to install/repair a windows installation using a new or existing hard drive. Without the need to buy software.

Creating a recovery Partition

Creating and restoring from a current image​

[yt]3iZHR2q7T-8[/yt]​
    Feel free to sticky if you find it appropriate.

Solaris17, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Kari Win User

The boot menu entry is not required, although removing it adds some steps to recovery. If the entry is removed, recovery must be started by booting from Windows install media and opening Command Prompt, then launching Windows Setup manually from recovery partition.

To remove boot menu entry, press WIN + R to open Run prompt, type msconfig and hit Enter. System Configuration window will be shown.

Select Boot tab, select Recovery boot menu entry, click Delete, click OK. That's it.

Thema:

1. Factory recovery - Create a Custom Recovery Partition - Similar Threads - Factory recovery Create

2. Creating a recovery PARTITION NOT USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating a recovery PARTITION NOT USB: My installed system on a new computer, has a 1.73gb partition on the SSD called "recovery Partition", but, the only references/utilities/apps I can find will only create a recovery "drive" on an external USB/disk.What's the go??What's the point of this partition taking up...
  3. Creating a recovery PARTITION NOT USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating a recovery PARTITION NOT USB: My installed system on a new computer, has a 1.73gb partition on the SSD called "recovery Partition", but, the only references/utilities/apps I can find will only create a recovery "drive" on an external USB/disk.What's the go??What's the point of this partition taking up...
  4. How to create a recovery partition?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to create a recovery partition?: Let's say I was able to download the Win10 iso from herehttps://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10I am fully aware that recovery Image and recovery drive is completely different from recovery partition - I want to have my system to gain ability of oem pc to...
  5. How to create a recovery partition?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to create a recovery partition?: Let's say I was able to download the Win10 iso from herehttps://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10I am fully aware that recovery Image and recovery drive is completely different from recovery partition - I want to have my system to gain ability of oem pc to...
  6. How to create a recovery partition?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Creating new factory reset recovery partition

Creating new factory reset recovery partition: Hi I have recently upgraded my storage drive to ssd . Before transferring my OS to SSD i deleted the 'push button reset' system partition which had windows recovery environment. Now after transferring my OS to SSD I want to create factory reset partition containing window...
  8. How to create Recovery partition back??

How to create Recovery partition back??: In the image, the green boxed partition was my recovery partition but it showed up magically didn't want it to. So posted about that in the community, and someone from the MS community said to use this website to troubleshoot, so I went to the website according to the method...
  9. Making a copy for factory recovery partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Making a copy for factory recovery partition: Hello guys! I have a laptop that has a factory recovery partition. I want to have that partition safe, I am planning to do a fresh start. Could you let me know if there's an easy way to do clone / backup that recovery option to a usb stick, I do not want to lose the option...
  10. Custom Recovery Partition

Custom Recovery Partition: Hello, I have a fresh intalled Win-10 NVMe P50 with all necessary drivers etc. All factory partitions were deleted before installing Win-10. Was wondering how to create a Recovery Partition that would work like Lenovo factory system does when one restores system to...