Windows 10: Factory Reset and it created "other user" account. Tried doing the admin trick

Discus and support Factory Reset and it created "other user" account. Tried doing the admin trick in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Afternoon, So a friend of mine decided to factory reset his laptop....he did so...he can't log in, and administrator is "inactive." It displays the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Humble-I.T., Nov 15, 2018.

1. Factory Reset and it created "other user" account. Tried doing the admin trick

Afternoon,

So a friend of mine decided to factory reset his laptop....he did so...he can't log in, and administrator is "inactive." It displays the option for another user...but there is no other user. tried doing the below steps....they did not work....possibly popped up something about a device or disc needing to be connected...he is not sure...but it did not resolve the issue.

Safe Mode

To diagnose whether this issue occurs in “Safe Mode”, let’s reboot the computer in safe mode and check if the issue appears there as well.

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. This helps us in identifying whether the issue is due to some third party programs conflict. The word Safe mode appear in the concern of your monitor to identify which windows mode you are using. Please follow the below mentioned steps:

1. Click on the Power button on the login screen.

2. Press and hold the SHIFT key on keyboard and simultaneously click on Restart option.

3. Once your PC restarts, on the Choose an optionscreen, tap or click Troubleshoot. If you don't see the Startup Settings option, tap or click Advanced options.

4. Tap or click Startup Settings.

5. Tap or click Restart.

6. On the Startup Settings screen, choose the startup setting for Safe Mode with Networking (Generally F5 key is pressed to select this setting).

7. Sign in to your PC with a user account that has administrator rights.

If still you face the issue, follow below steps:

1. Press “Shift key” and restart the computer

2. Select “Troubleshoot”, then “Advanced Options”

3. Select “command Prompt”

4. Type the following command to enable built-in admin account:

net user administrator /active: yes

Please could someone offer some help? I've tried numerous things to help him being a techie myself but this one stumps me.

Regards,

HUmble-I.T.

:)

Humble-I.T., Nov 15, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

resetting per user accounts (NOT resetting a PC)

You cannot reset a single User Account in Windows 10

What you can do is:

• Create another User Account with admin privileges
    • Log out of the original account
    • Sign into the new admin account
    • Delete the original account

DaveM121, Nov 15, 2018
  3. Try3 Win User
    My admin account switched to a user account!

The first of the many diagrams in this thread show that the link Sign in with a local account instead is displayed for the account that is currently logged on and so the reversion procedure might work for this account. For normal circumstances, that would initiate the conversion back to a local account for the user account currently logged in - see my 23rd & 26th September 2016 posts in revert to local account from one converted to MSAccount. I have no way of knowing how Windows will react to an attempt to use this procedure for the Built-In Admin account and I do not know if that link Sign in with a local account instead will be displayed or not.

I think I side-stepped this issue by suggesting that that
    • An extra password-protected Admin level account is created, and
    • The Built-In Admin is disabled, and
    • The recovery attempt focuses on whichever existing user account remains active afterwards.

Personally, I would reinstall Windows 10 without even attempting this recovery. Installation takes very little effort once everything is backed up and the only necessary user interactions are right at the start & right at the end so it can be initiated before making a pot of tea. It took about 30, 60 & 90 minutes for each of my computers [the 30 minuter is 6 months old, the 60 minuter is 7 years old, 90 minuter is 12 years old].

Raner - I am trying to avoid sounding like I am nagging you into doing a clean install.
    • Once you have recovered the existing user account you can attempt to re-enable & remove the MSAccount link from your Built-In Admin if that link appears in Settings, Accounts.
    • Bree says it cannot be done and I think the same but I have never tried - I have never been able to get to Settings using the Built-In Admin because it cannot run any Windows 10 Apps so I do not know how it can be done [but the diagrams in Bree's link shows that those users got there].
    • Even though I have the safety of having created two spare password-protected Admin accounts I would not want to know that my Built-In Admin was sitting in the background but unable to help me if my other accounts were corrupted.

Denis

4. allend66 Win User

Factory Reset and it created "other user" account. Tried doing the admin trick

Factory reset spawns multiple Administrator accounts

Hi all

Since I refreshed (factory restored) my win10 home laptop, it wants to creates admin accounts all by itself.

This happens every 2 or 3 reboots, and the admin accounts appear at the logon screen.
    Before the refresh it booted to my log on. Now it boots to a list of accounts. First the inbuilt admin account appeared, which I tried to get rid of by the tutorial (net user administrator /active:no in elevated cmd).

Sure enough after a couple of reboots it was back again. I tried leaving it and after a couple of bootups, another admin account appeared, this time with a user name and password (the inbuilt admin account didn't have a username, just password)

Does anybody have idea what the heck is going on? (absolutely NOBODY else has access to my PC)
    Thanks
    D

allend66, Nov 15, 2018
Thema:

Factory Reset and it created "other user" account. Tried doing the admin trick

1. Factory Reset and it created "other user" account. Tried doing the admin trick - Similar Threads - Factory Reset created

2. Restoring a user account after factory reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restoring a user account after factory reset: I have a computer with me as the main user, and my son as a secondary user. He recently did a factory reset on the computer. I've restored my account to the computer, but when I try to add his account as a secondary user, windows tells me his account is already on the...
  3. How to create a new admin user account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to create a new admin user account: I'm an administrator. I want to create a new administrator account. Control Panel User Account doesn't show an Add User. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-create-a-new-admin-user-account/cbf0d022-3fee-4615-8c67-d5f1038ed86d
  4. Creating a website whitelist as an admin for other users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Creating a website whitelist as an admin for other users: Hello. I need to block all internet access for a user account except for a whitelist of websites. How can I, as an admin, do this to ensure that my other user accounts only have access to the websites that I have added to the list?...
  5. How do I make a normal user account/create an admin account without admin rights?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I make a normal user account/create an admin account without admin rights?: Hello! I would just like to ask the question, how do I create an admin account without admin rights? Keep in mind I do not have a USB to install other software on. If someone could help me with this, feel free to ask questions to help you answer the question. Thank you!...
  6. Performed a factory reset on laptop then got the "Other Users" login. Created...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Performed a factory reset on laptop then got the "Other Users" login. Created...: I performed a factory reset on my Lenovo laptop, running windows 10. After a few hours, when the laptop rebooted, I was presented with the "other users" login screen. I sort of expected to be prompted through setting up the unit as if it were new, but this did not happen....
  7. Factory Reset and it created "other user" account.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Factory Reset and it created "other user" account.: Hello I just did a factory reset on my wife's HP laptop because one of our teens got a virus on it. But after completing the factory reset on the computer it reset its self and boots up and brings you to the prompt page where you normally go if to sign in. But there is now...
  8. Factory reset, other user?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Factory reset, other user?: So I just bought my friends 2nd hand laptop. He factory reset it twice because the first time it went back to his profile. After the second time it seemed good so he sent it to me. When I got the laptop it had no set up options. Instead it just had a login screen for "other...
  9. Factory Reset Now Asking for “Other User”

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Factory Reset Now Asking for “Other User”: Hello! Today, my boyfriends grandmother gave me her old new laptop from about 12/2016. After he helped her get her stuff off and onto her new one, he reset it to factory setting. After it rebooted for a few hours, it began asking for “Other User” to login. We have tried...
  10. Factory Reset and other user created

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Factory Reset and other user created: Hi, I had purchased a new lenovo laptop with preinstalled windows 10. After using 5 to 6 days, the system became little bit slow. So I did factory reset and post the process had been completed, I got a login page where it is asking for other user log in credentials and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. factory reset other user

2. After factory reset asking other user login

3. pc reset but asking for other user to sign in

4. after recovery windows asking to login other user,
  5. factory reset stuck on other user