Windows 10: Factory reset caused settings, search bar and edge to stop working

Discus and support Factory reset caused settings, search bar and edge to stop working in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I recently preformed a factory reset on my Surface Pro and now nothing on my computer works. The taskbar is displaying the settings icon but wont let... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ClodaghMurphy, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Factory reset caused settings, search bar and edge to stop working

I recently preformed a factory reset on my Surface Pro and now nothing on my computer works. The taskbar is displaying the settings icon but wont let me go into it, I’ve no internet explorer and it wont let me go into Microsoft Edge and it also wont let me access the search or my notifications. Need help ASAP.

:)

ClodaghMurphy, Jun 29, 2019
  2. Mark Isi Win User

Microsoft Edge has stopped woorking

Hello,

There may be a number of reasons why suddenly Edge would stop working. The first troubleshooting step that we can try is to run the troubleshooter for Windows apps. Check out
    this link for more information and download link for the troubleshooter.

If the above step won't work, we also suggest resetting Edge. For this, follow the steps below:

• Close Microsoft Edge browser.
    • On the Cortana search bar, type Default App settings.
    • Click on Microsoft Edge (the list may not include Edge if your operating system is not on Creators Update.)
    • Under Microsoft Edge, click Advanced options.
    • Click the Reset button and confirm.
    • Restart your PC.
    Note: Your PC must be updated to the latest version of Windows for this troubleshooter.

Let us know how it goes.

Mark Isi, Jun 29, 2019
  3. How do I stop Windows 10/Edge saving all my typed search topics?

Hi,

Thank you for the response.

Here is how you can stop Microsoft Edge browser from showing you search suggestions in the address bar:

• Press the hotkey Win+R to open the Run dialog. Type
      gpedit.msc
      in the Run dialog and press Enter. This will open the Group Policy Editor.
    • In the Group Policy Editor, expand Computer Configuration → Administrative Templates → Windows Components → Microsoft Edge
    • Double-click on the Stop address bar from showing search suggestions setting in the right-side panel.
    • In the settings window, select Disabled and then click OK.
    That’s it. The settings apply as soon as you click on the OK button. Now if you open the Microsoft Edge web browser and try typing something in the address bar, then you won’t see any search suggestions. You can obviously revert the setting by following
    exactly the same steps and choosing Not Configured or Enabled in the last step and saving the settings.

Hope this information is helpful. Please post in case you have any further issues, I will be glad to help you further.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Jun 29, 2019
  4. Factory reset caused settings, search bar and edge to stop working

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Jun 29, 2019
Thema:

Factory reset caused settings, search bar and edge to stop working

1. Factory reset caused settings, search bar and edge to stop working - Similar Threads - Factory reset caused

2. search bar and settings not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    search bar and settings not working: my bottom left search bar is not working and when i try to open settings it closes immediately, i ran sfc /scnannow and all it said was that there was corrupt files it couldnt fix.anything would helpthanks...
  3. search bar and settings not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    search bar and settings not working: my bottom left search bar is not working and when i try to open settings it closes immediately, i ran sfc /scnannow and all it said was that there was corrupt files it couldnt fix.anything would helpthanks...
  4. How to stop Edge suggestion in windows search bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to stop Edge suggestion in windows search bar: Hi,Every time I open the search bar in windows I get this ad for microsoft edge. Does anyone know how to disable it? Pressing the x just makes it re-appear when I next click the search bar. I also cannot find any settings and I believe I have disabled suggestions everywhere...
  5. Resetting to factory settings doesn't work..

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Resetting to factory settings doesn't work..: Hello. I tried to reset my asus rog strix laptop to factory settings and it gives an error at 55%-60%. It doesnt have a place to put in a disc.. Can anyone help me as soon as possible? I just want a clean laptop... I bought my laptop in January...
  6. Search bar not working on taskbar, pc wont factory reset, cant open settings.

Search bar not working on taskbar, pc wont factory reset, cant open settings.: My pc search bar isn't working and it's incredibly annoying. I've tried to factory reset my computer but it says there was a problem resetting your pc. Some other issues I've been having are that when I try to open any images, it says File system error -2144927436. Also when...
  7. Start Menu, Search Bar, Settings, Edge and Others Not Working After Reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start Menu, Search Bar, Settings, Edge and Others Not Working After Reset: Hello! After wiping my computer and reinstalling windows the start menu stopped working. every time I click on the start menu the cursor shows it loading for a second then nothing happens, same with the notification center. The search bar wont work either, but it shows no...
  8. Setting search stopped working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Setting search stopped working: it used to work before, now it stopped, I tried everything, sfc, DISM checks, says nothing wrong, checked Indexes in windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy/LocalState there was nothing, made another account, there was nothing in LocalState folder but setting search...
  9. Search bars edge

in Browsers and Email
    Search bars edge: Is it norm after the latest update to have two search bar.*Confused When I open edge there is one search bar on the very top Then under that is another search bar. I'm using windows 10 home edge and bing as search engine. Any help here Please. Many Thanks.. PS Should...
  10. Factory reset not working, stops at 50%

Factory reset not working, stops at 50%: Factory reset reachs 50% and the it stops and With the message There was problem with resetting you computer not changes have been made. 86986