Windows 10: Factory Reset for Surface Pro 3

Discus and support Factory Reset for Surface Pro 3 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My first post, so be gentle! Just got an oldish Surface Pro 3 and I would like to do a 'factory reset' I'm trying to add an attachment [img] If I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jackbee1947, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Factory Reset for Surface Pro 3

My first post, so be gentle!
    Just got an oldish Surface Pro 3 and I would like to do a 'factory reset'

I'm trying to add an attachment

Factory Reset for Surface Pro 3 [​IMG]

If I have uploaded the disk management image correctly, there seem to be more partitions than I was expecting!
    Would anyone like to suggest what the previous owner(s) have done?
    Also where (which partition) , and how would I go about a factory reset.

Please let me know if this post is in the wrong area and if I've broken any rules or conventions.
    Cheers
    Jack

:)

jackbee1947, Dec 22, 2020

2. SURFACE PRO 3 RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULTS PROBLEM

The camera caused a system freeze every time it was activated so I thought why not restore.

• I attempted to reset my Surface Pro 3 to Factory defaults.
    • The Surface Pro made it to 1% then crashed.
    • Now it is in a reboot loop.

I have tried several times and now it gives an "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing" error.

Do you have any suggestions on how to make it work again?

ScottPlatt1, Dec 22, 2020
  3. Aaron_Sum Win User
    SURFACE PRO 3 RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULTS PROBLEM

Hi,

Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community.

The error “A required drive partition is missing” usually occurs when you attempt a system reset or refresh in Windows and the MBR or BCD record is corrupted.

I would suggest you to create a recovery drive. You may go through this article on ‘Creating
    and using a USB recovery drive
    ’ to get you through this. Please follow the steps on ‘How to reset your Surface to factory conditions using a downloaded recovery image’ in the same article to get you through the factory reset.

Disclaimer: A reset returns your Surface to its factory settings. It deletes all of your personal files, resets your settings, and removes all apps that you installed.

Hope it helps.

Aaron Summith

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Aaron_Sum, Dec 22, 2020
  4. Roger Win User

Factory Reset for Surface Pro 3

MS Surface Keyboard Cover not recognized by MS Surface Pro 3

My Surface Pro 3 cover mysteriously stopped working (other USB keyboards work).

I’ve exhausted all of the steps from the Internet and am hoping for some advice here on what to try next.

• Clean the metal pins on both the keyboard and the Surface Pro 3 with alcohol swap and q-tip.
    • Performed the standard two button shutdown procedure - Force a shutdown and restart your Surface
    • Update "HID keyboard" device in Device Manager.
    • Uninstall and reinstall "HID keyboard device" in Device Manager.
    • Removed HID keyboard device in Device Driver and manually installed Surface Type Cover device (which later automatically turns to "HID keyboard device" when you hit "update drivers")
    • Updated all Windows 10 patches to date.
    • Tried a brand new keyboard (Microsoft FMM-00001 Type Cover for Surface Pro https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073W4MPJF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )
    • Updated firmware for Surface Pro 3 (typed in “winver”, took that Windows version, then downloaded the specific patch required here - Download Surface Pro 3 from Official Microsoft Download Center)
    • Reset Surface Pro 3 while keeping personal files
    • Reset Surface Pro 3 and deleted all personal files
    • Performed hardware tests on aka.ms/surfacerepair (nothing bad found; all looks ok)
    • Drained the battery most of the way before connecting again - the two times it worked momentarily these last few days was when I connected my new type cover keyboard to the Surface Pro 3 after the battery had died down to below 50%; a simple reboot later, everything stopped working. This user seems to have the same problem with it working briefly when there is low battery - Surface Pro 3 Battery drain along with type cover connector failure )

A breakdown of the steps I've done to sometimes get it working

• Leave Surface Pro 3 on about 2 hours on battery only.
    • Power on Surface Pro 3.
    • Working Keyboard.
    • Turn off Surface Pro 3 (or reboot)
    • Keyboard not working anymore
    • Another similar user here - Surface 3 type cover issue

Can anyone recommend any other troubleshooting steps? One of these steps seemed to work ok for others having this same problem.

Roger, Dec 22, 2020
Thema:

Factory Reset for Surface Pro 3

1. Factory Reset for Surface Pro 3 - Similar Threads - Factory Reset Surface

2. Factory Reset Surface 3: stuck in a loop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Factory Reset Surface 3: stuck in a loop: I've completed a factory reset to clear the data off my sons Surface 3.I am now stuck on a loop, there a problem preventing us getting your 9V ready. I can't hard wire to the Internet as no ethernet port but have tried using both my Virgin network and my mesh network and we...
  3. Surface Pro - Reset to Factory Settings

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Surface Pro - Reset to Factory Settings: Hi, Since I no longer use my surface Pro for my business, I want to reset the device and start from scratch. I'm not nervous about doing this and understand it might take a while for the system to update the latest patches, but I can live with that. I am twitchy about...
  4. Factory Reset for Surface Pro 3

Factory Reset for Surface Pro 3: My first post, so be gentle! Just got an oldish Surface Pro 3 and I would like to do a 'factory reset' I'm trying to add an attachment [img] If I have uploaded the disk management image correctly, there seem to be more partitions than I was expecting! Would anyone like to...
  5. No Internet after factory reset Surface Pro 3 win 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No Internet after factory reset Surface Pro 3 win 10: My surface would not restart so I did factory reset. While I had no issues prior to reset, I can connect to Wi-Fi, hot-spot & Ethernet, but have no internet. No issues with other devices, so it is isolated to Surface Pro. Tried: Uninstalling Drivers & restarting...
  6. Surface Laptop 3 stuck on factory reset

Surface Laptop 3 stuck on factory reset: So, I've been needing to factory reset my laptop because it had issues in internet connection. And I did start factory resetting my laptop last night at 6pm and since then, my laptop has been looping over the restarting circle animation with the Microsoft logo again and...
  7. Cannot Factory Reset Surface Pro 1

Cannot Factory Reset Surface Pro 1: I found my surface after it being lost for a year. It is connected to a Microsoft account that I have since deleted. I tried to recover the account but Microsoft says it doesn't recognize iteven though my surface is pulling it up. I tried to reset and fully clean the drive in...
  8. Will not factory reset- Surface Pro 6 Windows10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Will not factory reset- Surface Pro 6 Windows10: I have attempted to reset my computer both saving files and well as factory reset, neither completed. Error read that it was unable to complete and that nothing had changed. I did try the suggested command prompt way and it stated failed. Please help!...
  9. Factory Reset on Surface Pro (5) i7

Factory Reset on Surface Pro (5) i7: I did a factory reset on my Surface to erase my work account. From all looks it seems fine. But I can not click on the start menu and see any apps I can't type in the search field, or basically do anything. When I open edge it opens and then closes. But if I right click on...
  10. SURFACE PRO 3 RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULTS PROBLEM

SURFACE PRO 3 RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULTS PROBLEM: The camera caused a system freeze every time it was activated so I thought why not restore. I attempted to reset my Surface Pro 3 to Factory defaults. The Surface Pro made it to 1% then crashed. Now it is in a reboot loop. I have tried several times and now it gives...