Windows 10: Factory Reset leaves traces of previous users

Discus and support Factory Reset leaves traces of previous users in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I did a full Windows 10 Reset and loaned my machine to a Polish friend. When he returned it to me, I did a Full Windows reset including wiping the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bluehorizon, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Factory Reset leaves traces of previous users

I did a full Windows 10 Reset and loaned my machine to a Polish friend. When he returned it to me, I did a Full Windows reset including wiping the drive.

When the machine finished the reset process, the first Windows 10 setup screen offered me English or Polski(Polish) as a language selection.

There are files relating to the Polish language (and other traces of his activity) in the %WINDIR%\System32\oobe directory and in the registry hkey_user entries.

How do I erase all traces of previous users?

:)

Bluehorizon, Jul 12, 2018
  2. topgundcp Win User

Deleting a user account leaves traces of that user behind in C:\users

• Enable the built in Administrator account (Win+R->lusrmgr.msc)

Factory Reset leaves traces of previous users [​IMG]
    • Reboot and log in as Administrator
    • Delete the folder under C:\users

topgundcp, Jul 12, 2018
  3. How to completely remove all traces of a Microsoft Account from a local User Account

Hi,

To assist you with your concern on removing traces of Microsoft Account on your local account, you may do the following steps:

• Go to Control Panel.
    • Select User Accounts.
    • Click on User Accounts.
    • Select Manage User Accounts - here you can delete the traces of the Microsoft Account.

Let us know how it goes.

Christian Mart, Jul 12, 2018
  4. Factory Reset leaves traces of previous users

Traces

Trace malware is a detection which typically indicates harmless pieces of leftovers also known
    as remnants (registry keys, file fragments, folders) generally found after cleaning a previous malware infection. Traces are typically useless and not dangerous since the primary malicious file(s) has been removed. A
    Malware.Trace detection is just another name used by Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware and other security vendors for trace malware.

Performing the scans suggested by
    José Antonio Pontón Posada CEO should remove most of them.

quietman7 - MVP, Jul 12, 2018
Thema:

Factory Reset leaves traces of previous users

1. Factory Reset leaves traces of previous users - Similar Threads - Factory Reset leaves

2. Unable to Factory Reset or Remove User

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Factory Reset or Remove User: I have a Dell Windows 11 laptop it has an old work login that I no longer have access to, I will now be using it for Personal. When starting up only user option is my old work login. Have also tried to Factory Reset, using Reset PC option, but just get an error, There was a...
  3. Unable to Factory Reset or Remove User

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Factory Reset or Remove User: I have a Dell Windows 11 laptop it has an old work login that I no longer have access to, I will now be using it for Personal. When starting up only user option is my old work login. Have also tried to Factory Reset, using Reset PC option, but just get an error, There was a...
  4. User not loading after factory reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User not loading after factory reset: So I factory reset my laptop because I was having problems with it then after the reset it had a loading screen “undoing changes” I thought that was part of the process so I just went with it after the reset it brought me back to the login screen which is weird after a...
  5. User not loading after factory reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User not loading after factory reset: So I factory reset my laptop because I was having problems with it then after the reset it had a loading screen “undoing changes” I thought that was part of the process so I just went with it after the reset it brought me back to the login screen which is weird after a...
  6. User not loading after factory reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Window 10 recovery leaves some traces of previous installation which prevents installation...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Window 10 recovery leaves some traces of previous installation which prevents installation...: I had run windows recovery using hp cloud recovery tool to factory set up without back up in window 10 in my PC. After I started installing software and adding devices after recovery I failed to install my hp Printer. I found there were short-cuts of pre-recovery printer...
  8. Factory reset, other user?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Factory reset, other user?: So I just bought my friends 2nd hand laptop. He factory reset it twice because the first time it went back to his profile. After the second time it seemed good so he sent it to me. When I got the laptop it had no set up options. Instead it just had a login screen for "other...
  9. Factory Reset and other user created

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Factory Reset and other user created: Hi, I had purchased a new lenovo laptop with preinstalled windows 10. After using 5 to 6 days, the system became little bit slow. So I did factory reset and post the process had been completed, I got a login page where it is asking for other user log in credentials and...
  10. Deleting a user account leaves traces of that user behind in C:\users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Deleting a user account leaves traces of that user behind in C:\users: I noticed an annoying problem when deleting a user account from your PC. Basically Windows Store app got into a pickle on my main user account. I fixed it with a restore point. But it wasn't working on my wife and son's user accounts. As they barely use them and have...