Windows 10: Factory reset - lost digital license or product key for Windows 10 Pro

Discus and support Factory reset - lost digital license or product key for Windows 10 Pro in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My computer was reset to factory settings. I now get a message stating I don't have a valid digital license or product key. Does this information... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JohnMiller67, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Factory reset - lost digital license or product key for Windows 10 Pro

My computer was reset to factory settings. I now get a message stating I don't have a valid digital license or product key. Does this information reside on the computer somewhere?

:)

JohnMiller67, Sep 30, 2019

2. Lost Windows 10 product key/malware detected

Sounds like Ransomware/Identity Theft to me.

The free Windows 10 does not come with a Product Key.

Activation in Windows 10

•  Email
    •  Print

Activation helps verify that your copy of Windows is genuine and hasn’t been used on more devices than the Microsoft Software License Terms allow. Depending on how you got your copy of Windows 10, activation will use either a digital license or a
    25-character product key.

Digital license (called a digital entitlement in Windows 10 Version 1511) is a method of activation in Windows 10 that doesn't require you to enter a product key.

How you got Windows 10
    Activation method

You upgraded to Windows 10 for free from an eligible device running a genuine copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.
    Digital license

I would suggest he use "Factory Reset/Install" to clean out the Trojan/Ransomware and then reinstall Windows. In the end this will be quicker than all these other processes.

CassMorrison_2735, Sep 30, 2019
  3. Factory Reset on Laptop After Window 10 Pro Upgrade

Thanks Again, Pedro

I've run all the commands you've suggested, but I still get the "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them" error after running "sfc /scannow".

Also, thanks for explaining the difference with the other method you recommended (using a downloaded iso file). I think I'll try that before going ahead with a full factory reset.

I was also able to find the product key using the command:

wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey

If I have that product key, does that mean that I will be able to reinstall my Windows 10 Pro upgrade after doing a factory reset?

If reinstalling Windows the way you recommend works, then I won't even have to worry about it. However, it might still be useful to know in the future if I run into a problem like my hard drive crashing.

EDIT: Just after posting this I found the following on the link you shared:

Windows 10 Pro Pack key
    When you purchase a Windows 10 Pro Pack using the
    Easy Upgrade
    option in Windows 10 Home, you don’t receive a product key. Instead, the

digital license is attached to your Microsoft Account
    ; used to make the purchase. If you decide to transfer the Windows 10 Pro Pack to another computer, you can do so using the

Activation Troubleshooter

Transfer Windows 10 Pro Pack Key to a new Computer

1. Open Settings > Update & security > Activation > Troubleshooter.
    2. Sign in with your Microsoft Account used to purchase the Pro Pack license.
    3. After troubleshooting is completed, Windows 10 will indicate a digital license for Windows 10 Pro has been found.
    4. Click Activate Windows then follow the on-screen wizard.
    This is from: How to Find your Windows 10 Product Key

I think that's what I've been looking for. Thanks!

ChrisCrossCrash, Sep 30, 2019
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

Factory reset - lost digital license or product key for Windows 10 Pro

Win10 Home to W10 Pro Upgrade Error using Product Key

The keys are there because 1. It is the product key you end up with when you gain a digital license for Windows 10 Pro through legitimate means and 2. When you do a clean install of Windows 10 (without adding an ei.cfg file), on a computer with a product key for Windows 10 Home stored in UEFI, you can use the generic product key to upgrade the Windows 10 Home that installs by default to Windows 10 Pro - but only if you have an existing digital license for that computer for Windows 10 Pro previously stored on Microsoft Activation Servers.

The reason the generic Windows10 Pro product key will not upgrade your Windows 10 Home to Pro is because you do not have a preexisting digital license for Pro for that computer stored on Microsoft activation servers.

NavyLCDR, Sep 30, 2019
Thema:

Factory reset - lost digital license or product key for Windows 10 Pro

1. Factory reset - lost digital license or product key for Windows 10 Pro - Similar Threads - Factory reset lost

2. Windows 10 pro product key gone after factory reset

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 pro product key gone after factory reset: Hi, I bought a laptop with Windows 10 Home installed, later I upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro, I bought a digital key from a certified reseller - everything worked fine. Recently I wanted to give this laptop to someone else, so I made a factory reset, using an external pendrive...
  3. Windows 10 pro product key gone after factory reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 pro product key gone after factory reset: Hi, I bought a laptop with Windows 10 Home installed, later I upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro, I bought a digital key from a certified reseller - everything worked fine. Recently I wanted to give this laptop to someone else, so I made a factory reset, using an external pendrive...
  4. Windows License #/Digital Product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows License #/Digital Product key: Hello there,I have 2 different hard drives that have sentimental files on them I was asked by the owners to retrieve the files. However, both of them seem to require a windows update to be able to do anything with the files. I am only capable of accessing these drives by...
  5. Windows License #/Digital Product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows License #/Digital Product key: Hello there,I have 2 different hard drives that have sentimental files on them I was asked by the owners to retrieve the files. However, both of them seem to require a windows update to be able to do anything with the files. I am only capable of accessing these drives by...
  6. Windows License #/Digital Product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Windows 10 Digital License and Product key

Windows 10 Digital License and Product key: Hi,I'm using windows 10, activated by digital license linked to my Microsoft account on this device and I'm purchasing a new laptop with windows 10 pre-installed. So can I use my Microsoft account which is used in this device that is activated with digital license on my new...
  8. Product key? Or, digital license?

Product key? Or, digital license?: Dell Inspiron 3647. Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro free upgrade. No tech will be attempting a hard drive change. For reinstalling, I keep reading a 25 character product key. I have 20. It does specify Windows 10 is activated with a digital license. I know once I...
  9. Windows 10 Digital license to product key

Windows 10 Digital license to product key: I bought a prebuild gaming computer with windows 10 home installed. Once setting on the computer, I linked my microsoft account to the product key. Here we are a year later, I upgraded the CPU and GPU, same digital license. Now, I just installed a new motherboard, and windows...
  10. Lost digital product and activation (Windows 10 Pro

Lost digital product and activation (Windows 10 Pro: I was on Free upgrade of Windows 10 Pro. My compute crashed and I lost all information on my PC as I had to format the hard drive. Now I cannot reload Windows 10 Pro because I don't have product and activation key. I downloaded Windows 10 Pro from Microsoft website with the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 lost license key after reset 0xc004f213

2. how to digital licence after reset windows 10

3. windows 10 reset lost activation

4. does factory reset require windows activation code?,
  5. reset windows lost license,
  6. factory reset lost upgrade key,
  7. lost windows 10 license on reset,
  8. license reset digital license