Windows 10: Factory Reset of a Windows 10/11 Machine - does the license stay?

Discus and support Factory Reset of a Windows 10/11 Machine - does the license stay? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; If my friend is giving me his laptop that has Windows 10 or 11 on it, and I reset it to factory settings with a clean install of windows, does the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by jackzhu2, Aug 8, 2022.

1. jackzhu2 Win User

Factory Reset of a Windows 10/11 Machine - does the license stay?

If my friend is giving me his laptop that has Windows 10 or 11 on it, and I reset it to factory settings with a clean install of windows, does the license remain on the device, or do I need to purchase a new license? If not, how does it work? Does it give me the activation key to reactivate it after the fresh install, or does it store it somehow?

:)

jackzhu2, Aug 8, 2022

2. Windows 10 stays valid after upgrading virtual machine version?

I'm in the process of doing the free upgrade of Windows 7 to Windows 10 in a VMware virtual machine which is at virtual machine version 8. When Windows 10 finishes installing I'll have to upgrade the virtual machine to virtual machine version 11. Will
    the Windows 10 license stay valid/activated after upgrading to virtual machine version 11?

twashington, Aug 8, 2022
  3. AndreePin Win User
    Windows 10 factory reset

Hi Charlie,

We can see here that you are having issues with doing a factory reset on your Windows 10. There are several factors
    why you get the said error and that's what we are going to figure out. To isolate this concern, may we know the following:

• Any changes made on the computer prior to this concern?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • May we know the reason why you want to perform a factory reset?
    • Did you experience any issues on the computer before you tried performing a factory reset?

AndreePin, Aug 8, 2022
  4. BRob32 Win User

Factory Resetting Windows 10

So I have a Toshiba Laptop running Windows 10 on it. There is a SSD with about 32 GB on it and it's just about filled with programs and files. I simply need to factory reset it, but can't find the option to do so in my settings. I've looked up step by
    step to find the option (Go to settings --> Update & Security --> Recovery) but it just isn't showing up. I went onto another machine running Windows 10 and found the reset option no problem. So I'm curious as to how I can reset my machine and if someone can
    tell me. Thank you!

BRob32, Aug 8, 2022
Thema:

1. Factory Reset of a Windows 10/11 Machine - does the license stay? - Similar Threads - Factory Reset Machine

2. Windows 11 Pro license not staying activated

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Pro license not staying activated: We purchased a Windows 11 Pro license to replace the home license that came with the Microsoft Surface Laptop we bought for a new staffer. The license does not want to stay activated. We went through the process to do Windows updates. Activate the new Pro license. Did then...
  3. windows 11 factory reset.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 factory reset.: I have just bought a second hand laptop, which had a university account attached to it in one drive which i have managed to remove however it is still displayed within my file explorer.To that end I decided to conduct a factory reset and it wont let me! I have decrypted my c...
  4. windows 11 factory reset.

windows 11 factory reset.: I have just bought a second hand laptop, which had a university account attached to it in one drive which i have managed to remove however it is still displayed within my file explorer.To that end I decided to conduct a factory reset and it wont let me! I have decrypted my c...
  5. Factory Reset of a Windows 10/11 Machine - does the license stay?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Factory Reset of a Windows 10/11 Machine - does the license stay?: If my friend is giving me his laptop that has Windows 10 or 11 on it, and I reset it to factory settings with a clean install of windows, does the license remain on the device, or do I need to purchase a new license? If not, how does it work? Does it give me the activation...
  6. Factory Reset of a Windows 10/11 Machine - does the license stay?

Factory Reset of a Windows 10/11 Machine - does the license stay?: If my friend is giving me his laptop that has Windows 10 or 11 on it, and I reset it to factory settings with a clean install of windows, does the license remain on the device, or do I need to purchase a new license? If not, how does it work? Does it give me the activation...
  7. Factory Reset Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Factory Reset Windows 11: Hello, why does resetting windows 11 doesn't delete user profile? I keep resetting my laptop but the user profile doesn't get deleted. Can anybody tell me why, and how to factory reset my laptop? Thanks...
  8. Factory Reset Windows 11

Factory Reset Windows 11: Hello, why does resetting windows 11 doesn't delete user profile? I keep resetting my laptop but the user profile doesn't get deleted. Can anybody tell me why, and how to factory reset my laptop? Thanks...
  9. Does Windows 10 retain after factory reset?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Does Windows 10 retain after factory reset?: Hi,I have inbuilt installed windows 10 HOME edition on my Asus laptop. I check and the license was OEM. I want to change some things on my laptop and I need to factory reset it.I have got two questions:1. How to do factory reset?2. Will my windows 10 be on the laptop even...
  10. Does factory resetting windows 10 remove malware?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does factory resetting windows 10 remove malware?: I might have gotten some malware on my 1month old pc. I have tried using malwarebytes and windows defender to scan for any viruses but both came up negative. However, since both were free software I was still skeptical. I was extremely paranoid because I might have just gave...