Windows 10: Factory reset requires password but don't have it

Discus and support Factory reset requires password but don't have it in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Why did the instructions for resetting my computer not say, "You will need your password, not your PIN for this process."????? I haven't used my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jj the jj, Dec 8, 2018.

1. jj the jj Win User

Factory reset requires password but don't have it

Why did the instructions for resetting my computer not say, "You will need your password, not your PIN for this process."?????

I haven't used my password for a year and a half, but I have my PIN. However, that won't work!!!!!

What do I do?

:)

jj the jj, Dec 8, 2018
  2. P4-630 Win User

How to reset Windwos 8 Password?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-do-forget-windows-password#1TC=windows-8

• If you've forgotten your Windows password, there are several ways to retrieve or reset it:
      • If your PC is on a domain, your system administrator must reset your password.
      • If you're using a Microsoft account, you can reset your password online. ...
      • If you're using a local account, use your password hint as a reminder.

P4-630, Dec 8, 2018
  3. IggSter Win User
    How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Dec 8, 2018
  4. Namslas90 Win User

admin password?

You can reset the Admin Password using Windows XP repair; See Here for step by step.

*Toast :toast:

Namslas90, Dec 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Factory reset requires password but don't have it - Similar Threads - Factory reset requires

2. Having trouble factory resetting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Having trouble factory resetting: I traded a laptop for a pc with my brother and been trying to get it to factory reset I gotten a error then the search bar and the window start stopped working tried repair but also got a error and got no clue what to do now...
  3. Having trouble factory resetting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Having trouble factory resetting: I traded a laptop for a pc with my brother and been trying to get it to factory reset I gotten a error then the search bar and the window start stopped working tried repair but also got a error and got no clue what to do now...
  4. Having trouble factory resetting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Will a Factory Reset Still Require an Account Login?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will a Factory Reset Still Require an Account Login?: My daughter forgot her login pin thanks to Microsoft's annoying policy of forcing a pin change every month or so. She also doesn't remember her password login and her password reset recovery contact is her old cell phone number I know, all poor planning but lesson learned....
  6. Will a Factory Reset Still Require an Account Login?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Will a Factory Reset Still Require an Account Login?: My daughter forgot her login pin thanks to Microsoft's annoying policy of forcing a pin change every month or so. She also doesn't remember her password login and her password reset recovery contact is her old cell phone number I know, all poor planning but lesson learned....
  7. Will a Factory Reset Still Require an Account Login?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. required password reset

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    required password reset: I restarted my laptop this morning and a screen came up that I have not seen before. It said a password reset was required and asked for the last four digits of my cell phone number. I then received a text and entered the code provided, which took me to a screen to enter my...
  9. Need 2 factory reset,Don't know administrator password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Need 2 factory reset,Don't know administrator password: Hello I've been having some issues with logging in for weeks because I don't know the password To My laptop,It's a Republic of gamers gl753ve laptop,I've tried going into safe mode by pressing shift and restart and tried doing a command prompt "rstrui.exe" but that doesn't do...
  10. Passwords not recognised, reset required

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Passwords not recognised, reset required: Hi, I need some help. I recently had a Windows update and on restart I was asked for the password. I tried my pin - but it was not accepted. I then used what I thought my password had been before I changed to using a pin but as it is a while ago I may have got it wrong...