Windows 10: factory resetting laptop after replaced old used hard drive: original OS was win7 but...

Discus and support factory resetting laptop after replaced old used hard drive: original OS was win7 but... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; im asking what will happen and/or how to factory reset my current hp laptop.the current laptop in question, originally had windows10 but i dropped it &... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by mister HU.., Jun 6, 2022.

1. factory resetting laptop after replaced old used hard drive: original OS was win7 but...

im asking what will happen and/or how to factory reset my current hp laptop.the current laptop in question, originally had windows10 but i dropped it & ruined the hard drive. i replaced the hard drive with an old used one out of an ancient laptop which had windows7, that i didnt unlocked to work on the current laptop.instead i purchased windows10 home & installed that over the windows7 on the current laptop that has the old used hard drive.im concerned about doing a factory reset, if its even an option to, because the RECOVERY D: drive files/folder has the "date modified" of 11/11/20

:)

mister HU.., Jun 6, 2022

2. Replacing an old laptop's hard drive

I have an Alienware 14 gaming laptop from 2013, that initially had Windows 7 and got a free upgrade to Windows 10 when it dropped. I've replaced its hard drive once about 2.5/3 years ago when I dropped it from a table and broke the original one. A recent
    hardware test by the Dell SupportAssist app says that my HDD failed a SMART short self-test, Linear Read test, and a Targeted Read test and is in danger of failing soon again. Nothing else about the hardware or system seems to be wrong, but I have been experiencing
    random blue screens and crashes, plus a good bit of slowing at times. The questions are:

a) does that seem normal

b) how would I go about replacing the hard drive given that the only system recovery CD's I have are for the original system with Win7 instead of 10

c) what should I look into for an actual replacement disk; does it have to be the same thing I've had because the laptops old and compatibility could be an issue? Should I be trying to get an SDD instead?

swoodward3799, Jun 6, 2022
  3. Replacing an old laptop's hard drive

The current HDD is a Western Digital 2.5" 750GB SATA III internal hard drive, 7200 rpm 16MB cache. You're saying though that I can just buy a compatible replacement drive, boot it with the original Win7 recovery disk, and then re-upgrade it to
    Win10 with no issues? Or did I misunderstand you.

swoodward3799, Jun 6, 2022
  4. gordon99 Win User

factory resetting laptop after replaced old used hard drive: original OS was win7 but...

Replacing a laptop hard drive with a SSD

I have a Dell Latitude E5420 laptop which has a Windows 10 Pro O/S. I would appreciate a step by step guide on the procedure to replace the hard drive with a Solid State drive; specifically dealing with the transfer of all the software from the old drive to the new. I have an external hard drive I use for backups and a free version of the Macrium Reflect program on the hard drive. The SSD is brand new. I have just 50 GB in total on the 231 GB hard drive. The SSD has 250 GB capacity.

gordon99, Jun 6, 2022
Thema:

factory resetting laptop after replaced old used hard drive: original OS was win7 but...

1. factory resetting laptop after replaced old used hard drive: original OS was win7 but... - Similar Threads - factory resetting laptop

2. factory resetting laptop after replaced old used hard drive: original OS was win7 but...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    factory resetting laptop after replaced old used hard drive: original OS was win7 but...: im asking what will happen and/or how to factory reset my current hp laptop.the current laptop in question, originally had windows10 but i dropped it & ruined the hard drive. i replaced the hard drive with an old used one out of an ancient laptop which had windows7, that i...
  3. factory resetting laptop after replaced old used hard drive: original OS was win7 but...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    factory resetting laptop after replaced old used hard drive: original OS was win7 but...: im asking what will happen and/or how to factory reset my current hp laptop.the current laptop in question, originally had windows10 but i dropped it & ruined the hard drive. i replaced the hard drive with an old used one out of an ancient laptop which had windows7, that i...
  4. Replacing an old internal hard drive with corrupt os , with a new sata hard drive with pre...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replacing an old internal hard drive with corrupt os , with a new sata hard drive with pre...: Hi , so my old pc's hard drive had a corrupted os and is stuck in automatic repair loop , tried every single fix but i couldn't repair it , so infact my hard drive is over could be a virus that got in it or my pc being unplugged incorrectly because it froze and the mouse is...
  5. using old hard drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    using old hard drives: I have two 500 gb ssd's on my old pc that I used for file storage and games. Can I take those out of my old pc and hook them up in my new pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/using-old-hard-drives/2db83d2f-0c2c-4d23-80e5-623fbc526676"
  6. Replacing a laptop hard drive with a SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Replacing a laptop hard drive with a SSD: I have a Dell Latitude E5420 laptop which has a Windows 10 Pro O/S. I would appreciate a step by step guide on the procedure to replace the hard drive with a Solid State drive; specifically dealing with the transfer of all the software from the old drive to the new. I have an...
  7. Replacing Win10 on new hard drive after original failed

in Windows 10 Support
    Replacing Win10 on new hard drive after original failed: First timer so please be gentle. My hard drive failed on my Asus desktop and had to be replaced. This whole thing made me aware of how little I prepared for such a situation. I had a recovery usb but it was from the date of purchase (2012/13) so I created a new one using my...
  8. Downloading Windows 10 OS after a replacement hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Downloading Windows 10 OS after a replacement hard drive: My grandson has an HP Pavillion 23A10PC with serial number and product code details that operated from a 64 bit Windows 10. How does he get to download a replacement OS and install it?...
  9. Remove hard drive with old OS (win7)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remove hard drive with old OS (win7): Hi I tried to remove the SSD drive E: with the old OS (win7) so I can use it with my old motherboard/CPU as a backup PC. But the PC doesn't boot up. I go to BIOS and choose the drive C: with the new OS (win10) but it doesn't boot up. When I connect back the E: boots up...
  10. replace dead hard drive for laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    replace dead hard drive for laptop: Here is the situation My wife has a Toshiba laptop that crashed, the hard drive is done. I have done everything that I have been able to looking at tutorials etc to revive it, its dead jim. I even tried to wipe the hard drive and it would have none of it. My Toshiba laptop...