Windows 10: Fail to reload from recovery drive after erasing C:

Discus and support Fail to reload from recovery drive after erasing C: in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Asus laptop, originally Windows 8, upgraded to Windows 10. Needed to reset and erase my data so that it was safe to sell machine. Created bootable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by David W, Jul 21, 2019.

1. David W Win User

Fail to reload from recovery drive after erasing C:

Asus laptop, originally Windows 8, upgraded to Windows 10. Needed to reset and erase my data so that it was safe to sell machine. Created bootable recovery disk on 32GB memory stick, made sure boot order put USB stick ahead of hard disk, then rebooted.

Went to command prompt then wiped disk by formatting:
    format c: /P:2
    Closed command line window then selected to restore from my recovery drive. Says it was recovering, but then get message:
    There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made.

Have trawled the web for answers but they all assume you still have a system on C:. Have tried all the command line fixes I can find. Does anybody know how to fix this?

:)

David W, Jul 21, 2019

2. Recovery from failed hard drive

Hi,

To assist you better, please answer the following questions;

• What is the make and model of the hard drive?

• Did you get any error messages while using the failed hard drive?

• When you say failed hard drive, are you referring to external hard drive or internal hard drive?

I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft help article, which explains about the recovery option in Windows 10 and check if it help.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

Get back to us for further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Rishad K T, Jul 21, 2019
  3. Recovery Drive

Hi,

Thank you for posting your concern. In some cases, this could happen if you created a system restore point on your computer. Windows will use the recovery drive to revert to the previous time where your computer is working properly, or where you created
    it. Please don't attempt to put any files in the recovery drive or the restore process will fail. To give you more suggestion and helpful information, we would like to more about your computer. Please answer the question below:

• Did you make any changes to your computer before this issue occurs?
    • Have you install Windows Update before getting the Recovery drive?
    • Which version of Windows are you using? To check it, follow the steps through this
      link.

In the meantime, you can check the files inside the recovery drive and confirm if there are essential files that you need.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Lemuel Cie, Jul 21, 2019
  4. stevednmc Win User

Help! File recovery software?

Anyone have any suggestions on good software to recovery as much data as possible from an accidentally erased hard drive? Workin on a client pc and it seems he took it to geek squad once and they may have erased the hdd. Preferably a freeware one but ill pay if necessary. This guy has tons of photos from his tour in Iraq and they are priceless! if i can recover at least some it will be worthwhile for him....and me!

stevednmc, Jul 21, 2019
Thema:

1. Fail to reload from recovery drive after erasing C: - Similar Threads - Fail reload recovery

2. Recovery erased videos from USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery erased videos from USB: If i erased a video from the usb there some way to recovery ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-erased-videos-from-usb/e10b06de-2ac7-4d45-8fe1-baf57d1fc414
  3. Recovery erased videos from USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery erased videos from USB: If i erased a video from the usb there some way to recovery ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-erased-videos-from-usb/e10b06de-2ac7-4d45-8fe1-baf57d1fc414
  4. Recovery of C drive data after windows reinstallation.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery of C drive data after windows reinstallation.: My Laptop is Lenovo Ideapad L340. I did a recent windows update on 2022/05/30, driver power state failure occurred after restarting the machine. Initially, I did a couple of power on/off, but the screen just froze and nothing worked and the same driver power state failure...
  5. Recovery of C drive data after windows reinstallation.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery of C drive data after windows reinstallation.: My Laptop is Lenovo Ideapad L340. I did a recent windows update on 2022/05/30, driver power state failure occurred after restarting the machine. Initially, I did a couple of power on/off, but the screen just froze and nothing worked and the same driver power state failure...
  6. Recovery partition after "C:" Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Recovery partition after "C:" Drive: [ATTACH] Does anyone know why this occurred & any way to fix that. It's not actually necessary but it hinders my ability to add more storage to the system. Thanks in advance...
  7. Failed Recovery from Drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Failed Recovery from Drive: In an attempt to get my PC healthy again, after a blue screen of death loop. I managed to get into safe mode and reset the system. This failed and now I am unable to recover from a drive. The error screen states: Your PC/Device needs to be repaired The Boot...
  8. erased laptop need to reload windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    erased laptop need to reload windows: I bought a laptop from my work that had been completely erased even the windows operating system. I have a multiple license for Windows 10 home edition. What do I need to download on a memory stick to be able to load onto the laptop?...
  9. Fail to roload from recovery drive after erasing C:

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fail to roload from recovery drive after erasing C:: Asus laptop, originally Windows 8, upgraded to Windows 10. Needed to reset and erase my data so that it was safe to sell machine. Created bootable recovery disk on 32GB memory stick, made sure boot order put USB stick ahead of hard disk, then rebooted. Went to command prompt...
  10. Erase C Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Erase C Drive: So the title tells it all. I would like to erase my C drive but by that I mean the apps and ofc I want windows and everything else there. Apparently I believe hidden files get into my C drive taking up space so I cant install certain things. I could factory reset it but that...