Windows 10: Failed Activation

Discus and support Failed Activation in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Can't find contact info to help me activate win 10 pro. Upgraded from a retail 8.1 version. Can't log in to microsot account, forgot password and ms... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by gladstone, Jan 30, 2016.

1. gladstone Win User

Failed Activation

Can't find contact info to help me activate win 10 pro. Upgraded from a retail 8.1 version. Can't log in to microsot account, forgot password and ms does not recognize my email addy. I upgraded my desktop with new power supply and mother board. Kept my ssd drive.

:)

gladstone, Jan 30, 2016
  2. 154Neil Win User

Win 10 Pro Activation Failed get “ Activation failed because this device doesn’t have a valid digital entitlement or product key. Error code 0x803F7001”

Okay, I am getting close to actually understanding.

When I get the custom and see the partitions, I have 3 partitions :

Partition 1 39.0 MB with 30 MB free and type is OEM (reserved)

Partition 2 (OS) 297.6 GB, 233.1 GB free, Type is System

Partition 3 450 MB, 112.0 MB free, type OEM (Reserved)

There are noUnallocated space

Should I delete partitions 1 & 3 than install it on Partition 2. If that is the case how do I get to use the area of partitions deleted. Or should I delete all partitions then formation and then install?

Please advise

154Neil, Jan 30, 2016
  3. 154Neil Win User
    Win 10 Pro Activation Failed get “ Activation failed because this device doesn’t have a valid digital entitlement or product key. Error code 0x803F7001”

Can you please be more speicific?

154Neil, Jan 30, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Failed Activation

What version was the Windows 8.1? Was it activated? Do you have the product key for it?

NavyLCDR, Jan 30, 2016
  5. gladstone Win User
    Yes I have aproduct key. It is 8.1 Pro. Thanks, windows had "change product key" grayed out.

gladstone, Jan 30, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    Well it would certainly deactivate when you changed mobo.

I am puzzled - you say the change product key is greyed out but you also say you cannot login - so how did you get to the activation menu?

If you did manage to login, have you logged in with admin rights?

cereberus, Jan 30, 2016
  7. gladstone Win User
    Failed Activation [​IMG]

Failed Activation [​IMG]

gladstone, Jan 31, 2016
  8. gladstone Win User

Failed Activation

Second window ontop. Note message at bottom of second screen shot.

Failed Activation [​IMG]

Failed Activation [​IMG]

gladstone, Jan 31, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Doesn't look like change product key is greyed out to me. Can you open an elevated ("run as administrator") command prompt? If so you can try entering:

slmgr /ipk <your Windows 8.1 product key here>

slmgr /ato

The first command will insert the product key, and the second command will trigger the online activation (have to be connected to internet to run it).

NavyLCDR, Jan 31, 2016
  10. gladstone Win User
    Thanks....will try as you suggest.

gladstone, Jan 31, 2016
  11. gladstone Win User
    Failed Activation [​IMG]

gladstone, Jan 31, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    So what you are going to have to do now is install Windows 8.1 Professional on the new motherboard and use phone activation to activate it. I would capture the genuineticket.xml file while you are on Windows 8.1 as a backup:
    Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums

After you get an activated Windows 8.1 Pro on that motherboard, then you can go back and activate the Windows 10 Pro that was moved to it.

Remember, Microsoft only offered to upgrade existing devices running Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10 for free. They never offered to transfer Windows 10 to new devices (motherboards) for free.

NavyLCDR, Jan 31, 2016
  13. cereberus Win User

Failed Activation

Equally they have never stated they would charge. Section 4b of EULA clearly states that you may transfer Windows 10 to a new device if licence is standalone or original licence was standalone. What they never said was how to do it.

During the free period, it is easy to do as you explained. The crunch point comes post July 28th 2016 ie if somebody had upgraded in the free period, but wishes to move it after the free period. MS have yet to clarify this case.

cereberus, Jan 31, 2016
  14. I'm willing to bet my last Rolo that Microsoft will extend this deadline.

teachermark, Jan 31, 2016
  15. gladstone Win User
    Now win activation of windows 10 pro has given be headaches. Installed new mother board and Win 10 pro locked my 8.1 retail version key out.

Technical support could not verify my 8.1 pro key and therefor i can't revert back to 8.1 pro. I don't want a clean install because I have not got access to my product keys as they were in and email inbox that I no longer have access to.

gladstone, Jan 31, 2016
Thema:

Failed Activation

1. Failed Activation - Similar Threads - Failed Activation

2. windows fails to activate after bios update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows fails to activate after bios update: after updating the bios of my new PC i found that my windows 11 home copy of which i bought through the Microsoft store was suddenly inactivated and showing an error of 0xc004F21. After clicking on the troubleshooter it fails but there's a "I changed Hardware on this device...
  3. windows fails to activate after bios update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows fails to activate after bios update: after updating the bios of my new PC i found that my windows 11 home copy of which i bought through the Microsoft store was suddenly inactivated and showing an error of 0xc004F21. After clicking on the troubleshooter it fails but there's a "I changed Hardware on this device...
  4. Activation fails after CMOS battery replaced.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activation fails after CMOS battery replaced.: Hello Everyone,I originally had 2 retail Win8 licences. I upgraded one PC to Windows 10 long time ago.I wasn't able to upgrade my other Windows 8 PC, due to its old CMOS battery.Today I've changed the battery. Upgrade went smoothly, but now Windows thinks that I've changed a...
  5. Activation fails after CMOS battery replaced.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activation fails after CMOS battery replaced.: Hello Everyone,I originally had 2 retail Win8 licences. I upgraded one PC to Windows 10 long time ago.I wasn't able to upgrade my other Windows 8 PC, due to its old CMOS battery.Today I've changed the battery. Upgrade went smoothly, but now Windows thinks that I've changed a...
  6. Activation fails after CMOS battery replaced.

7. Laptop keeps crashing and i keep getting License Activation slui.exe failed with the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop keeps crashing and i keep getting License Activation slui.exe failed with the...: License Activation slui.exe failed with the following error code:hr=0xC004F074Command-line...
  8. Laptop keeps crashing and i keep getting License Activation slui.exe failed with the...

Laptop keeps crashing and i keep getting License Activation slui.exe failed with the...: License Activation slui.exe failed with the following error code:hr=0xC004F074Command-line...
  9. Activation context generation failed for "C:\Windows\system32\UIRibbon.dll".

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activation context generation failed for "C:\Windows\system32\UIRibbon.dll".: getting this error in event viewer, tried sfc scan, windows defender scan, reinstalling softwares and drivers, it says " Activation context generation failed for "C:\Windows\system32\UIRibbon.dll". Dependent Assembly...
  10. Activation context generation failed for "C:\Windows\system32\UIRibbon.dll".

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Activation context generation failed for "C:\Windows\system32\UIRibbon.dll".: getting this error in event viewer, tried sfc scan, windows defender scan, reinstalling softwares and drivers, it says " Activation context generation failed for "C:\Windows\system32\UIRibbon.dll". Dependent Assembly...