Windows 10: Failed boot after system recovery

Discus and support Failed boot after system recovery in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 Home on a Lenovo Yoga 720, the authentic copy that came with the laptop. I also needed an ubuntu installation (with GrubLoader) for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MariamAshraf, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Failed boot after system recovery

I have Windows 10 Home on a Lenovo Yoga 720, the authentic copy that came with the laptop. I also needed an ubuntu installation (with GrubLoader) for work and that required me to change in my BIOS the hard drive from RAID to AHCI. I followed an online tutorial and successfuly dual booted both systems 5 months ago.

Currently, I tried to perform a system restore to a point that was automatically created last week due to issues with firefox and windows has refused to boot since. It tries to diagnose a problem, fails, and directs me to the recovery optons menu. Safe Mode is inaccessible as well.

Here's the full timeline of my recent action:

- I continually face issues with Geforce Experience, which I use to update my drivers, crashing and a workaround I found online (method 2 in this link: https://www.****/knowledge/solved-something-went-wrong-try-restarting-geforce-experience/) is to review some settings in Nvidia services. I did that and installed the most recent drivers and then restarted my computer.

-Windows booted successfully but firefox refused to open, showing a message that it failed to load XPCOM, and any solution I found did not help. After uninstalling, deleting folders, and reinstalling several times, I gave up and decided to restore to an earlier point to ensure the system is back to a point before my tinkering with it.

-I found a restore point from earlier this week, which was very convenient, and it ran successfully but windows refused to boot since.

I am now considering reseting (not my favourite option if another solution exists) but I am worried about the hard drive settings that were changed earlier to accomodate to Ubuntu. If a system reset is in anyway similar to restoring the system to an earlier point, it will certainly fail and crash after returning the drivers to their original RAID setting while the BIOS remain in AHCI.

Is there a possible solution I have not tried?
    Will a system restore work or do I need a fresh installtion from an external drive?

:)

MariamAshraf, Jul 25, 2019

2. The system image restore failed. The post-recovery operation to install drivers in the offline operating system failed. (0x807800B8)".

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I suggest you to try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to start Volume Shadow Copy service
    and set it to Automatic.

Steps to Start the service and set it to automatic:

• Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard and type
      services.msc
      , Services window gets opened.
    • Search for Volume Shadow Copy service, right click on it and click on
      Properties.
    • Start the service, set
      Startup type to Automatic.
    Note: You may lose the restore points when you stop the VSS.

Step 2: I suggest you to perform clean boot to avoid any third party software conflict and check.

Disclaimer: Putting your system in
    Clean Boot
    state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

I also suggest you to refer to the section creating a recovery drive in below article.

Repair & recovery

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/repair-recovery

Reference: I also suggest you to refer the below article for more information about Recovery options in Windows 10.

Recovery options in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Jul 25, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    How does Windows boot to advanced recovery option e.g. command prompt?

- that gives me a 454 'Unexpected error' This tells me that the BCD is partially corrupted.

The commands: shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 00
    or: %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c reagentc /boottore&shutdown /r /f /t 00
    should boot into Recovery if everything is configured correctly.
    FYI, If Windows is configured correctly:
    1. If Reagentc is disabled, you still can get into Recovery but with limited options.
    2. If Reagentc is enabled, you'll get all options.
    3. If you boot Windows using Recovery USB stick, You'll get into Recovery with couple of options missing.

Here's my suggestion if you want to try:
    OPTION 1: Will save the trouble of re-install Windows.

1. Download the image of my first 3 partitions (450MB Recovery, 100 MB EFI partition, and 16MB unformatted primary)
      EFI_Boot-00-00.7z - Google Drive
    2. Run Macrium and restore the image from step 1, overwriting your existing 1st three partitions, leaving C alone.
    3. Delete the 490MB Recovery partition.
    4. From Macrium, run fix boot problems.
    5. Reboot. Open Admin command prompt then run Reagentc /info to make sure that it is enabled. If not, enable it.
      if failed to enable, reboot and try again.
    OPTION 2: Assuming you've already had Windows backup with Macrium.

1. Wipe out the first 5 parttiions. (450MB, 100MB, 16MB, C Drive, 480MB)
    2. Fresh install Windows 10
    3. Restore C drive from backup image, run fix boot problems
    4. repeat step 5 from OPTION 1 above.

topgundcp, Jul 25, 2019
  4. Failed boot after system recovery

bl initialize library failed 0xc0000bb

Let's try to use system restore instead. Follow the steps below:

• Start your desktop, and after the manufacturers logo disappears and Windows 10 tries to boot, press and hold the power button for 5-10 seconds to perform a hard shut
      down.

• Do the step #1 until you see the Windows logo screen or Please wait during boot. (You
      may need to perform this up to 3 times.)

• After Windows 10 boots into the Windows 10 Recovery Environment (WinRE), you can now access Startup
      Recovery, Safe Mode, and Command Prompt.

• Go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > System Restore,
      and then check if you have a restore point.

• In the list of available restore points, choose the date prior to the issue. Steps can be found in this article on
      how to perform a System Restore. Refer to Restore from a system restore point.

If the steps above fails, we suggest that you boot your computer in Safe Mode (while in the Recovery Environment) and see if it helps. Follow the steps below on how
    to boot in Safe Mode:

• Go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Settings and click Restart.

• Upon restart, click/press 4 to boot into Safe Mode.

If Safe Mode does not work, we may need to Reset your computer. Follow the steps below:

• Go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Reset this PC.

• Choose to keep all your files and applications. This will re-install Windows 10 whilst keeping your data and applications.

Update us after you perform the steps.

Radney Dri, Jul 25, 2019
Thema:

Failed boot after system recovery

1. Failed boot after system recovery - Similar Threads - Failed boot system

2. System recovery failed when usb recovery drive was not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System recovery failed when usb recovery drive was not working: OK I’m not a very good computer user so when answering please try to make it so I can understand. OK I had a Drive with Windows 11 on it and I had an SSD drive with Rokie Linux installed on it. I wanted to do windows recovery and I put my recovery, USB drive and booted up and...
  3. 8.1 System Recovery FAILS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    8.1 System Recovery FAILS: Still getting jerked around hard & heavy by Win 8.1* [so-called] System RecoveryWhen Advanced asks for Install/Recovery media, BOTH original Win8 disk AND Win 8.1 ISO download burned to DVDprompt Error ".. not valid media.." WTH??So ... Precisely WHERE is that "valid media"**...
  4. 8.1 System Recovery FAILS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    8.1 System Recovery FAILS: Still getting jerked around hard & heavy by Win 8.1* [so-called] System RecoveryWhen Advanced asks for Install/Recovery media, BOTH original Win8 disk AND Win 8.1 ISO download burned to DVDprompt Error ".. not valid media.." WTH??So ... Precisely WHERE is that "valid media"**...
  5. recovery failed, system image failed, reinstall failed,

in Windows 10 Gaming
    recovery failed, system image failed, reinstall failed,: ok so i have a asus z97a motherboard , i54690k CPU .i went to overclock it and it started saying that there was an issue with my framework, i cant remember the exact error i got , i tried to reinstall the 3.5 framework and it wouldn't install so i did a restore on my computer...
  6. recovery failed, system image failed, reinstall failed,

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    recovery failed, system image failed, reinstall failed,: ok so i have a asus z97a motherboard , i54690k CPU .i went to overclock it and it started saying that there was an issue with my framework, i cant remember the exact error i got , i tried to reinstall the 3.5 framework and it wouldn't install so i did a restore on my computer...
  7. recovery failed, system image failed, reinstall failed,

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. New System Fails to BOOT

in Windows 10 Support
    New System Fails to BOOT: Okay I have built many systems but this was supposed to be really good. Its a Gigabyte Aorous Ultra, Core i7 9700K, DDR4 32 Gig, Radeon RX-570 8 Gig, 6 TB HDD and SSD. Turned it on and it starts stop runs for 10 seconds and stops. Just like the 1000 watt power supply is goofy...
  9. Problem after System Recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem after System Recovery: I have a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 2nd gen running Windows 10 professional with build OS10.0.19536.1000. I reset only the software and I can't login again. Fingerprint doesn't work and PIN doesn't work either. On top it says Password and inside the text entry it says PIN. Both...
  10. System will not boot or complete system recovery

in Windows 10 Customization
    System will not boot or complete system recovery: unspecified error occured during system restore (0x80070003) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-will-not-boot-or-complete-system-recovery/b4f597e4-d517-490f-9cbc-9ce734cc20b6

Users found this page by searching for:

1. failed to boot system