Windows 10: Failed drive, move to SSD, new Win10 and migration of windows.old files

Discus and support Failed drive, move to SSD, new Win10 and migration of windows.old files in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Had my system drive fail, and split system to new SSD drive with a reinstallation of Windows 10. It's a new install, so I have no old programs, etc.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RLionheartIX, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Failed drive, move to SSD, new Win10 and migration of windows.old files

Had my system drive fail, and split system to new SSD drive with a reinstallation of Windows 10. It's a new install, so I have no old programs, etc. on it. I have a backup drive of my windows.old from when I tried to reinstall the OS onto the old bad drive. I am having trouble finding a way to read the registry files in windows.old in order to retrieve keys for various software reinstalls. I have the programs but need several keys due to them no longer being supported by their creators. (Nuance has literally told me that they would only sell me a new version, but discontinued support for all five versions of their software I've purchased throughout the years!) Can I use regedit and be able to edit or even READ the files in windows.old registry or do I need to purchase a program to do this? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

:)

RLionheartIX, Nov 12, 2019
  2. xkm1948 Win User

Migrating Win10 to NVMe SSD

I am going to migrate my Win10 to my NVMe SSD. Installation wise there should be no problem. However I cannot seem to be able to erase the old Windows 10 on the SATA SSD. If I boot from USB Win10 Installation media it only ask me whether I want to repair the SATA SSD Win10 or not. Any ideas on how to complete erase the SSD that currently have Win10 on it? I tried sanitize drive and PSID revert in Win10, neither would work. The SATA SSD is Crucial MX200.

xkm1948, Nov 12, 2019
  3. Win10 migration to SSD

I am adding an SSD and want to migrate Win10 to it. My current HDD has too many files on it to migrate all, because the size of the SSD is smaller than the HDD. Where can I find out what files and folders are essential to operate Win10 and exclude all
    other files so I can meet the size requirements of my SSD?

RonaldSwartzell, Nov 12, 2019
  4. Failed drive, move to SSD, new Win10 and migration of windows.old files

Migrate Win10 to a new Harddisk

I want to upgrade my hard disk to a new SSD drive.

How can I migrate my Win10 system to the new drive.

AmmarAnswers, Nov 12, 2019
Thema:

Failed drive, move to SSD, new Win10 and migration of windows.old files

1. Failed drive, move to SSD, new Win10 and migration of windows.old files - Similar Threads - Failed drive move

2. moved files to new ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    moved files to new ssd: after moving files to a new ssd, when i try to open the files, they are there but it says i don't have permission to open them, i am the administrator on the computer...
  3. moved files to new ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    moved files to new ssd: after moving files to a new ssd, when i try to open the files, they are there but it says i don't have permission to open them, i am the administrator on the computer...
  4. moved files to new ssd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Migrating Windows 10 to new ssd drive.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Migrating Windows 10 to new ssd drive.: I need to retire my very old hdd. I am hoping that I can transfer my existing installation from drive to drive without a lot of trouble. Is this possible?...
  6. Moving OS to a new SSD Activation if old drive is disconnected

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving OS to a new SSD Activation if old drive is disconnected: According to the following post, I should be able to use the media creation tool and skip activation and get a newly activated license on a different drive:...
  7. Move windows from old SSD to new.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move windows from old SSD to new.: I have bought a new SSD and I want my windows located in it. I have 2 SSD's in my pc and I want to swap my small one for the new. The thing is I have windows in the small one and the other SSD cannot fit windows, so I don't know how to move windows to an SSD that is not...
  8. Migrating to new SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrating to new SSD?: I created an image of the old SSD with macrium Reflect and restored it to the new SSD. However the PC won't boot even if that's the only SSD I have installed. In Diskmanagement Events I can see: "Device settings for SCSI\Disk&Ven_NVMe&Prod_Samsung_SSD_970\5&bbc8c1b&0&000000...
  9. Tried to migrate from old drive to new SSD, partition screwy

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Tried to migrate from old drive to new SSD, partition screwy: I got a new 2TB SSD which is considerably bigger than my 4 year old 480GB SSD so I used tool to clone from old SSD to new one. After I shut down the computer, I removed the old one, changed BIOS to find the new drive, it booted OK. However when I used Window's drive...
  10. Moving Win10 from a failing HDD to a SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving Win10 from a failing HDD to a SSD: I have a friend whose IDE hard drive is failing. He wants to replace it with a SSD. The cloning process won't work because of the drive (clicking). How can he get his Windows 10 moved?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. migrate os to ssd has failed